Old house problems

TattooedJT

My house still has the old style fuse box. Last year while I was growing with a 1000w hps I would blow out a fuse every couple months or so,I would change the fuse and be good for a couple of months.
After constantly fighting the heat in my 5x5 tent and the high electric bill, I chose to start using 2 315w ceramic metal halides for my grow.
Not having blown a fuse in almost a year I kinda forgot about the whole fuse issue. But this morning I awoke to that burning smell that I knew was the fuse. I changed the fuse,then I woke up my wife to tell her goodbye and about the fuse. She texted me about an hour later and said she heard "sizzling" and said that she would keep a close eye on it while I was gone. When I got home from work I checked the fuse and it looked almost burnt out again so I changed it again.
That's when I decided to shut down my tent until I can get a "friendly" electrician out to fix the problem. The one good thing is I harvest 4 today!:high-five: (if it happened 2 weeks ago I would be screwed!) the bad thing is I have 4 more that have been in 12/12 for 2 weeks and just started showing. Those I will more than likely lose.
To add a little salt to the wound I got the email today that my new P600 from PlatninumnLED has been shipped.

here are some pics of my nightmare

IMG_051026.JPG
IMG_051132.JPG
IMG_051223.JPG

Your fuse is arching to the bus bar
Prob not making good contact
Need to address this immediately
The sizzling is it arching and making it heat up and blow
Also why are all you fuses 30 amp?
Unless you have # 10, wire,which you may, your fuses are to big for your wire
but old school of thought blowing a 20amp put in a 30amp

Post a pic of where the fuse screws into trying to focus on where the fuse makes contact with the bus bar inside,be better with the cover off but if you don't know what you are doing just try to get a pic of the bottom of the fuse holder
:peace:

Seems like a lot of carbon build up on the contact points. You might be able to give the fuse box terminals a scrape with a steel wool toothbrush, although you'll probably want to make sure the juice is off to that junction box before you start poking around. Chances are, if all the power in that building is based on fuse boxes like that one, there's more at play than just the fuses. Old copper in the walls, decaying junction boxes, etc. Every time you introduce modern, high-draw devices to old infrastructure you'll quickly find the weak links. Safety first!

Back in business!:high-five: We got our new box installed today with new wire running into it:partyboy: going to give the plants a few days of regular light schedule and then throw back in what I saved. It really will only cost me about 3 weeks of a grow.:Namaste:
I also have plenty of room to give everything of my grow there own circuit if I choose to in the future! so very glad that everything worked out the way that it did in the end.

Back in business!:high-five: We got our new box installed today with new wire running into it:partyboy: going to give the plants a few days of regular light schedule and then throw back in what I saved. It really will only cost me about 3 weeks of a grow.:Namaste:
I also have plenty of room to give everything of my grow there own circuit if I choose to in the future! so very glad that everything worked out the way that it did in the end.

Back
Top Bottom