Oldest leaves turn brown and crispy

I keep an aquarium so I had a spare heater handy. I've got the temp up to 70. And all this tracks because I've had trouble all along with potassium deficiency. Humidity down, water and air temp up.
Great news!

And thank you for confirming the deficiency issue. I wasn't sure if it was K or P.

As I understand it, 70° a bit warm. I run at 68°. DO is a little higher but it also helps reduce the chances of root rot.

Well, it would certainly be easier to just leave it alone. I didn't read much past the advertising blurb, I'd had so much difficulty with the Flora I was just ready to do something else.
Yes, in the past I had looked it up several times and got the advertising blurb info. Then the other day I looked again and found the info on how the pH Perfect controls the pH for the gardener and it started to fall into place.

Everything I ever read has been so adamant about keeping it 5.5 to 6.5 it seemed like that was the gospel.
The growing method helps determine what pH level to maintain for the water. If the plants are growing in what is considered a hydro style then the pH to try to maintain is 5.8. But if the plants are being grown in a compost or dirt based soil mix then the pH of 6.3 is recommended for the water going into the soil.

Thought I would update. Used an aquarium heater to get my water temp up to 66, with the tent closed up air temp is around 72 or so and humidity stays around 45 to 50%, pretty steady. With bringing the water temp up I saw an immediate improvement, the brown crispy leaves stopping showing up and the ones that were already turning stopped getting worse. I also saw immediate symptoms of overfeeding, probably because the nutes were much more available than before. So I cut my PPM by about a 150 by removing solution and adding clear water. Much better now, they're growing like, you guessed it, "weeds". I can see visible growth every day when I check them, they're nice and green with clean well shaped leaves.
As for the Advanced Nutrients formula, so far I'm happy. I started a second bin a few days ago for clones. I used the minimum dosage, 1ml per liter in rain water. I live in the country so air pollution is not a big problem and rain water is naturally pure, measuring 5ppm or less. The PH was 7.2 before adding nutes, after sitting for one day the PH was 5.9 and has gradually moved to 6.2. Seems to be stable there. For the existing bin the PH was very low, 5.2, so I added a tiny dose of baking soda and over the course of a few days it moved up to 6.1and is stable. That is a stark contrast with FloraNova which always seemed to kick the PH way up, sometimes up over 8 and would never stay stable. Plants seem very happy. It will be a few weeks before time for bloom, I'm anxious to see how they do.
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, I've been looking around this problem for a long time, just point blindness I guess. Sometimes you need a nudge to see what you need to see. I've read so much conflicting stuff online it's hard to decide what's really important and what's not. When I get buds I'll post back with some pictures, you can tell me what you think. Thanks again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom