Opinion please - pH lockout?

Leesus

20150815_192133.jpg
20150815_192054.jpg
20150815_192023.jpg
20150815_192006.jpg
20150815_191958.jpg
20150815_191947.jpg
Water: RO/Distilled/Tap. I switch up. Undecided.
Medium: peat moss / perlite (no additives)
Nutrients: Advanced Nutrients pH perfect MGB
Climate: 70-80F. RH: 30-50%
Light: 400 watt air cooled MH
Cycle: flower 1 week 6 weeks since sprout

It seems I have had this problem from the beginning. That's why I'm trying all different waters. I used tap (sat for several days in dark room ) this last watering. Due to an injury at work I have 1 hand for awhile so I couldn't get the run off ph. Was also told the ppm doesn't matter in the AN pH perfect. I plan to check all of this next watering. I feed every watering. I have cal mag but was told not to mix it with the nutes I have so I used tap assuming this was a cal problem. Help please.

Re: opinion please, ph lockout?

Hi! I use AN ph perfect with GREAT success for my level of expertize. I'm at my 5 grow so I'm a newbie in all words but I can say that AN works well. You got a bad info about the ppm, it does meter. PH in the other hand I never really bother to check. The only deficiency I get is Magnesium in flower dew to the LED's. PPM is a must have in my opinion.

Mmm if that is just a straight forward peat moss and you added perlite to it then i suspect a problem !

Peat moss well at least 100% type of stuff is basically acidic PH value any where between PH 3.5 to 5.5 for an example but that depends on where the peat moss comes from.

If that is the case it is more likely the PH value of the peat moss creating the nutrient lock out & not the water...

Mmm if that is just a straight forward peat moss and you added perlite to it then i suspect a problem !

Peat moss well at least 100% type of stuff is basically acidic PH value any where between PH 3.5 to 5.5 for an example but that depends on where the peat moss comes from.

If that is the case it is more likely the PH value of the peat moss creating the nutrient lock out & not the water...

I think so too!! I don't like the medium at ALL!! I think the medium is causing low pH and lockout. The AN is hard at work to get the goodies to it but the medium is acting like a cock block. I transplanted it a month ago. Can I put it in coco without killing her or shocking her into a herm? What should I do? First grow. Bag seed. I expected to experience problems but I also hope to fix these problems and learn from them so when I fill the tent I can address any problems that come my way. Any advice?

Hi, first 3 pics look like bug damage to me, 1st looks like thrips damage, put a pice of paper under plant and tap so any bugs fall off. Look for tiny specs that move. As for the other 3 that looks like it could be a magnesium deficiency. Hopefully someone with more experience will come in with something.
user141080_pic834101_13287736183.jpg
It does doesn't it? I can find no bugs I think the medium is causing a lockout. From your chart (great find) it looks like manganese.

I literally just had this problem with my grow but wwaayyy worse I used promix ultimate organic and come to find out that stuff is literally just peat moss and perilite. You can look at my journal and see how bad it got. I fought this lockout in both my plants all threw flowering. Like Leesus said it looks like manganese lockout which is exactly what happen to me too... It will only get worse too. I tried messing with my nute mix which only ended up burning my plants a bit.. I flushed many times it helped slow down the progression. The only thing I didnt get to try is to add Lime which will help bring up your ph and stabilize it.

I thought peat moss became acidic over time as it breaks down, and is has a relatively stable pH for quite some time. I could be wrong though.

My last few grows were in ProMix (mostly peat moss and perlite) with added perlite and I had quite a bit of pH problems until I got them straightened out. After I ran enough water through the medium and kept a closer eye on the pH, pretty much all my problems disappeared. I'd recommend flushing with pH adjusted tap water until you get your runoff where you want. This may take awhile, and you may have to adjust the pH of the water going in, to affect how it comes out.

Also, you didn't mention your pH, but I hope you realize peat moss is a *soiless* mix, and the pH should be in the hydro range. I'd recommend getting to 6.1 - 6.2.

Also the first picture looks like some type of pest to me also. You may have to check under the leaves with a magnifier to see what's there though!

I thought peat moss became acidic over time as it breaks down, and is has a relatively stable pH for quite some time. I could be wrong though.

My last few grows were in ProMix (mostly peat moss and perlite) with added perlite and I had quite a bit of pH problems until I got them straightened out. After I ran enough water through the medium and kept a closer eye on the pH, pretty much all my problems disappeared. I'd recommend flushing with pH adjusted tap water until you get your runoff where you want. This may take awhile, and you may have to adjust the pH of the water going in, to affect how it comes out.

Also, you didn't mention your pH, but I hope you realize peat moss is a *soiless* mix, and the pH should be in the hydro range. I'd recommend getting to 6.1 - 6.2.

Also the first picture looks like some type of pest to me also. You may have to check under the leaves with a magnifier to see what's there though!
I can't find any pest that is the lowest leaf it starts low and works it's way up. I use ph perfect line so I'm told to not adjust the pH of the product by their grower support. My plant beside it looks fine that is in coco. Should I try the dolomite lime pellets? Can't find any powder that mixes into the water :( it's time to water I will check runoff after I go get pellets tomorrow and water

Update. This is new. Hopefully doesn't turn brown.. poor girl. The second pic is my plant in coco gets same feed as the other. It has to be the medium..
20150816_233637.jpg
20150816_233647.jpg

Ok

Lets just get past the pro mix suggestion well it is brand name & it is PH buffered with limestone aka dolomite lime or garden lime etc more likely to range of PH 6 to 7 where a vast majority of plants are happy growing in including mj !

The only time i'm aware off, of a PH change with in the growing medium is either over feeding to create salt build up or in mid to late flowering when an increase of nutrients is used...

Lets just assume a numptie mistake you got a bag of 100% peat moss aka some where medium a acidic PH value which is creating nutrient lock outs.

I may suggest one these ideas ?

1. Get some dolomite lime or garden lime apply 1 tea spoon as a top dressing to each pot & work lightly into top surface of growing medium water in well, this will slowly adjust PH value of the medium up towards PH 7 it is where most limes adjust it to there or about's on given application rate.

Plant health should improve after a 10 to 14 days.

2. You could PH correct your nutrient solution to about PH 5.8 etc making nutrients more available which may help out with the medium used.

soil_ph_nutrient_availability.jpg

Ok

Lets just get past the pro mix suggestion well it is brand name & it is PH buffered with limestone aka dolomite lime or garden lime etc more likely to range of PH 6 to 7 where a vast majority of plants are happy growing in including mj !

The only time i'm aware off, of a PH change with in the growing medium is either over feeding to create salt build up or in mid to late flowering when an increase of nutrients is used...

Lets just assume a numptie mistake you got a bag of 100% peat moss aka some where medium a acidic PH value which is creating nutrient lock outs.

I may suggest one these ideas ?

1. Get some dolomite lime or garden lime apply 1 tea spoon as a top dressing to each pot & work lightly into top surface of growing medium water in well, this will slowly adjust PH value of the medium up towards PH 7 it is where most limes adjust it to there or about's on given application rate.

Plant health should improve after a 10 to 14 days.

2. You could PH correct your nutrient solution to about PH 5.8 etc making nutrients more available which may help out with the medium used.

soil_ph_nutrient_availability.jpg

I did make the rookie mistake. Straight peat. :( just trying to overcome the mistake. Will try lime pellets tonight I can't find the powder

Back
Top Bottom