Oregon grow info wanted

Championlab1

Hi all,
I'm looking for some information about growing specific to my area, I'm on the I-5 corridor in a small town 70 miles north of Medford. I'm trying to determine the best suited sativa strains to grow outdoors. High yield, as well as appropriate for this hot dry summer climate. I would prefer pure sativa strains, but would consider sativa dominant strains as well .. anyone from this general area with suggestions ?

I'm doing the leg work for next years efforts, I'm new to growing but a quick study, but sometimes touching bases with locals is the key for success. Some of the questions I have are about timing, as example, When is the best time to put them in the ground ? When would be best to acquire my clones / start seedlings, and is it preferred to "slow" start them, allowing them to become more stem/branch hearty ? What might be the approximate size of a newbie to maximize growth etc for planting ... I think that adequately explains the information I'm looking for, and of course, any extra points worth noting are appreciated..

I'll be doing this at my home, I'm semi-retired, so have ample time and space to make this an easy project, I've considered lots of options, but for now, lets say I'm growing the 4 plants Oregon law allows, and looking to get maximum yield. I've considered using grow bags or making planters .. how big would you suggest? how deep ? if I go with a planter.. should I do them individually or can I make one large planter ? I've considered digging holes 3 feet deep x 4x4 but, another question would be, do I have to amend the soil each grow season? if so, to what degree.. it's obviously a lot easier to remove or amend soil above ground.. what are your thoughts?

It gets god awful hot here in the summer, so thought about a small hoop house, it could be covered in plastic early on in the season.. then would you recommend sun screening during peek summer ?

as this is my first day as a member, am I even posting this in the right place ?

Thanks

Good lordie you're full of questions!
So... Azelea ish? Beautiful territory. Went to school in Eugene many moons ago. I like to joke that I was the one that loaned Phil Knight the waffle maker.

Back to business... Have you read the sticky threads at the root of this forum? There are some AWESOME guides there. They speak directly to all the issues you're raised. I'd start with Joys Of Growing - Great Guide! . It's a great guide.

Be sure to share your grow in a grow journal. Folks chime in to help out and you can post photos of your babies as they go. It's a good way to track your own grow as well.

Oh.... and yes, you posted your question in the exactly correct place. Welcome, we look forward to seeing your grow.

Back
Top Bottom