Ou, Ou that smell

Rockskipper

Man I just put the plants into flowering last friday and they are allready about to run me out of the house, lol.

No I don't have a filter system going outside because its supposed to hit minus 20 again this weekend, ( think I'm going to time this grow thing better ) LMAO.

O.K. guys, My plants have the two white hairs everybody is talking about, but they are only 6 days into flowering, they had these a week before that.

What am I missing here?

I'll post pics tomorrow when I water them.

Re: Ou,Ou that smell.

Man I just put the plants into flowering last friday and they are allready about to run me out of the house, lol.

No I don't have a filter system going outside because its supposed to hit minus 20 again this weekend, ( think I'm going to time this grow thing better ) LMAO.

O.K. guys, My plants have the two white hairs everybody is talking about, but they are only 6 days into flowering, they had these a week before that.

What am I missing here?

You aren't running a filter because you can't draw air from outside -too cold? So does this mean you're just using the air in the room with no vent fan/air circulation setup on hand? Correct? I can't think of any filtering solutions that don't involve somehow isolating the plant(s) from everything else and setting up a venting system to run it's air through. But the air can intake and outlet in your house if outside is too cold. There's a possible cheap filter option here - Low budget way to get rid of weed odor. I'm not quite sure why you're asking re the white hairs. Could you explain the situation a bit more, I get confused easily ;)

What am I missing here?

The exhaust doesn't have to be vented outside. A typical system will look something like this:

CARBON FILTER===FAN===[side of tent]== exhausted into room.
---Direction of Airflow--->

Or with a cooltube reflector:

CARBON FILTER===COOLTUBE===FAN===[side of tent]== exhausted into room.

The job of the filter is to absorb the smell, venting outside is fine, providing it won't get you into trouble legally, or with neighbors that like to complain, but as you mentioned it's winter, and it's cold there, so running the filter just into the house is fine, providing the filter works well.

A lot of strains will show PREFLOWERS once sexually mature. Assuming your light schedule didn't change, of course. I wouldn't worry about it at all, just continue with flowering and look forward to enjoying the fruits, or flowers in this case, of your labor.

Or with a cooltube reflector:

CARBON FILTER===COOLTUBE===FAN===[side of tent]== exhausted into room.

I like this Antics! Would you say this is better than having two separate vent systems? One for exhausting room air and the other exhausting cooltube heat?

I like this Antics! Would you say this is better than having two separate vent systems? One for exhausting room air and the other exhausting cooltube heat?

"Better" is a somewhat relative here.

If we compare apples to apples, using the same filter, and same fan in both examples, the longer ducting with the cool tube will reduce total CFM a little bit, but not too much.

Instead of 2 smaller fans, a grower can easily just pick up a fan with a higher CFM rating, combine the filter, cooltube, fan, and exhaust all into one system, and end up saving money, as well as space on additional fans, ducting, and room to install it.

However, I refuse to believe you didn't know this Dan :thumb:

Yeah, your exhaust doesn't need to go outside. The carbon filter will completely eliminate the odour and you can just vent it to another room. If it's just an exhaust fan with no carbon filter, venting outside is advisable IF the odour won't attract attention from neighbours, etc. I'd definitely try the bag of charcoal method if your budget is tight.

Don't worry, be happy.
Give it a little time. just started doing this. On my third set of plants, learning to do clones for my fourth. I spend a lot of time token and looking. After they show thier sex it may take as long a nine day after going 12/12 for flowering to start. Next time I go to flower I am going to do a 36 hour dark period then go to 12/12. I have read that this will start the flowering faster. I don't know if faster is better but WTF. I going to see what happens.

Do I understand correctly that you do not have to vent it outside if you have a good carbon filter? I am using a 140 watt Solid Apollo Ares LED light for 4 plants. They are doing great with this light and I will be adjusting to 12/12 soon. I am concerned about the odor, but I will not be able to vent it outdoors. Will a good carbon filter keep my wife happy in an odor free home? Could I send it up the air intake without the rest of the house smelling like pot?

Do I understand correctly that you do not have to vent it outside if you have a good carbon filter? I am using a 140 watt Solid Apollo Ares LED light for 4 plants. They are doing great with this light and I will be adjusting to 12/12 soon. I am concerned about the odor, but I will not be able to vent it outdoors. Will a good carbon filter keep my wife happy in an odor free home? Could I send it up the air intake without the rest of the house smelling like pot?

Yes, the carbon filter will completely neutralize the odour, so it doesn't need to be vented outside. For a smaller grow like yours a 4-inch carbon filter and inline fan combo should do the trick. Check Amazon.com, they have some very good deals.

Thanks all for the ideas, ( I live alone so I don't have the wife B-tching at me lol.)

Heres the pics.

0032078.JPG

0041952.JPG

0051834.JPG

011969.JPG

Can these still turn out to be male?

These were put in a water glass on either the 16 or the 17th of Jan. (small tent)

Those hairs you see in the pictures aren't pistils. They're called stipules or leaf spurs and both the boys and girls have them. As far as I noticed from what's shown in the photos the plants aren't showing any sex signs yet.

Those hairs you see in the pictures aren't pistils. They're called stipules or leaf spurs and both the boys and girls have them. As far as I noticed from what's shown in the photos the plants aren't showing any sex signs yet.

Thanks Weaslcracker. I kinda thought something more was supposed to happen before the sex was apparent.

Yep you're welcome. You'll see signs soon now that they're under 12/12. And they take a bit of time to develop their flowers so no need to feel rushed about males pollinating everything right away. You can just let them grow a little while and sex will become very obvious. You won't have to guess, and then you can weed out the males when you know for sure. Good luck, and congrats on the legalization!

Those smart pots should be filled with more soil than that too.

UltraDan, I would fill them up more if I had the room to do so. The tent that they are in is only 42" wide- 48"high- and 16" deep and thats all the dirt I can cram in there if I want to be able to contiue to remove the plants for flushing.

I know piss poor planing and next time will be differant. As it is these plants will be growing around the LEDs and out the exhaust hloes before they are done, grins.

Have some money problems right now so a bigger tent is not in the future for awhile. ( It is what it is )

UltraDan, I would fill them up more if I had the room to do so. The tent that they are in is only 42" wide- 48"high- and 16" deep and thats all the dirt I can cram in there if I want to be able to contiue to remove the plants for flushing.

I know piss poor planing and next time will be differant. As it is these plants will be growing around the LEDs and out the exhaust hloes before they are done, grins.

Have some money problems right now so a bigger tent is not in the future for awhile. ( It is what it is )

You don't have to spend a fortune to grow Cannabis, but some items are a necessity, like a PH meter. The cheapo meters CAN work, but not for long. They're enough to get you through a grow or two before they die on you.

A big tent isn't a big deal brother. Some of these growers out there are getting 8+ ounces per plant with soil grows, 16+ ounces with hydro. They get amazing yields, and it all comes from practice, not expensive equipment. Some of those guys can outgrow me in a freaking 20oz solo cup.

Things like PPM and EC meters help a SHITLOAD, but aren't required. For soil they're very much optional. But as you get into soilless it helps, but again not required. In hydro, definitely, definitely helps, but if you can read what the plant is telling you, you can skip them in my opinion.

Use what you have, don't worry about upgrading.

This is meant as an example, and not to sound negative... But if someone can't hit 4+ ounces on a single plant with basic tools, spending hundreds, and thousands of dollars doesn't magically make you grow better. A lot of it is technique.

Just like drivers... if someone drives like crap, putting them in a $500,000 race car doesn't make them suddenly become a great driver.

There's a lot involved with growing, and a lot of it has to be learned almost all at once to get a good start, but equipment can be upgraded slowly as you go. Just grow, be happy, and enjoy the relaxation that comes along with it.

Back
Top Bottom