Pain Contracts vs. Cannabis

Drummingstar1

I've never heard of this "pain management contract". Can someone explain what it is? From reading the posts, I'm getting that in order to receive pain medication, a patient must submit to a urine test or series of urine tests to test for illegal drugs.

Let me say up front - I believe cannabis is answer to most problems currently being treated with prescription drugs; but I respect the right of the patient and the doctor to decide what's best. It's none of the governments business.

My understanding of pain contracts...

It's a relatively new tactic in the war on drugs. In return for receiving the prescription opi*ids the patient must agree contractually to not use illegal drugs and subject themselves to urinalysis.

The DEA and ONDCP is of course behind this. Essentially LEO pressures the doctors they feel are "over-prescribing" pain agents with the threat of loss of license, so many doctors protect themselves by requiring pain contracts - at the expense of the patients dignity and privacy. Of course we all know that LEO's medical treatment is vastly superior to that of actual doctors - so this must be being done solely for sound medical reasons ;)

Here's an example of a standard contact in case you weren't offended enough at the situation by my comments above ;)

yeper!!!!!.....they can call you in at any time for a pisss test....if you dont have the pills or meds you are taking in you system to the right amount....they wank your script, bummer deal........they do this to make sure you arnt selling your meds.....and if you have anything else in your system other than your meds...there yanked.....not to many peaple here in KY get to keep there meds for long.............you got to do what you got to do........hope it works out for you...............good luck...............PEACE

Hey, BayArea, thanks for the post. Boy, if it's not one gov't agency chipping away at our rights, it's another! How are your headaches?

Got a relative here in Washington going through the same thing. Even though she's a legal MJ patient here she can't do both pain n*rcotics and MJ. So far the MJ is helping her the most but like everybody she has bad days. Because of the assinine laws she is now forced to go to the black market.
What a bunch of idiots we have running our governments.

I have a pain contract with my doc. I also am a mmj card holder. Upon my initial consult for my pain contract my doc told me not to worry about the UA. He supports my mmj use. However, if he were to be like most docs, he would have to tell me not to take cannabis or any other drugs hence the UA. These pain contracts are to keep the patient form using illlicit drugs while on the contract. you can get UA popped at any time! If you piss positive, your contract is void and your pain meds are too.! So yes they are to prevent most patients from taking other drugs, getting the same script filled at the same pharmacy every month and the same amount....

I thought the doc was supposed to tell the patient he can pop a UA anytime while on the contract, and that you cannot go anywhere else to fill the script. kaiser may have a different protocol. either way, contracts are a pretty good thing when there is someone who really needs it, like me . I really have no fears while on mine, my doc would never pop a ua, nor tell me not to fill it anywhere else, he is the most laxed guy. LOL. he says cannabis should be legal and it's pathetic it's not. he hates the government.! way cool doc, i thnk he smokes cannabis.

Up here in Canada things are different. Since we have a universal health care system, it means that what is legal and available in one place should available in all provinces. It does not work out exactly like that in real life,but it is close. I had to get the forms and convince my doctor to sign(as well as sign a passport photo for the id). It is in the mail as we speak(registered of course), so soon I will be Canada's latest carded medical user. We have a choice of growing our own, asking a grower to grow for us or to buy the government swag. There are also compassion clubs and certain clinics will sign papers for clients to use those, but if you are caught with the stuff you can still be charged. Kind cops would just let you go and let you keep you pot, less nice cops would take the pot and still let them go, but the eager beaver cops out to make any number of busts to look good, would take the pot and charge the people. The eager beaver cop does not understand the high costs to families that even a simple arrest can cause, especially in these hard economic times. Losing your job because you got busted using a herb for your pain just makes no sense.

I had one of these contracts forced upon me. When I tried to be honest with my VA primary care doctor about my cannabis use she freaked out and forced me into a contract. I never stopped using and told her it would be that way. After 8 years of using pain pills it wasn't like she could cold turkey me. I could have died if she did. It took her 5 years to piss me and I never heard a word from her about me being dirty. of course I was taking myself off op*ate pain meds with her knowledge and help at the time too.

Hey race; they forced that on you? WOW! i was begging for one when I became disabled, I was already using cannabis rec and medicanally as well. my doc told me he would never piss me coz I "SHOULD" be using pot to keep the number of pills i take , DOWN. VERY COOL And understanding DOC!I have had a contract for about 4 years now. it wuld appear I am a lifer...

Hey race; they forced that on you? WOW! i was begging for one when I became disabled, I was already using cannabis rec and medicanally as well. my doc told me he would never piss me coz I "SHOULD" be using pot to keep the number of pills i take , DOWN. VERY COOL And understanding DOC!I have had a contract for about 4 years now. it wuld appear I am a lifer...
Yeah this doctor is strange. Remember though, the VA is a federal organization and they follow federal laws. Her husband was my doctor before her and he was cool as hell about it. When I told him about my medical MJ use he immediatley documented it in my chart in case I ran into legal trouble I had verification of discussion. (<--his words) His wife freaked out over losing her job or some BS. She cut me off my op*ate meds for 2 days and demanded I see her. She then stated that I had two choices..sign the contract and get my meds refilled or not and go through a withdrawl. I mentioned the sickness and she said oh...I'll admit you but you will be sick, just monitored.lol So I told her I was signing it under duress and that my cannabis use would not stop. She never replied and it took her 5 years to piss me. She never said anything about the test and I know it was dirty as hell. I've medicated with cannabis every day for the last 9 years straight. not one day missed. not even during hospital stays. I wheeled my butt out to the parking lot and lit up. Took skill with a catheter bag and iv stand but I did it. I even had a nurse take me and my bed out to the smoking section under the impression I needed a cigarette (I'd quit smoking 2 years before) and asked her to leave me for a hour. I medicated there too.lol Where there's a will, there's a way. I always got comments when I returned about how much more relaxed and happier I was. I'm sure the docs and nurses smelled it on me. I didn't care. It helped.

i have a pain contract with kiaser and the last doc they sent me to said i was lying about my pain,4 disc fused in my neck,arthritis and chronic head aches,this doc. would not review my records so i am currently seeking another opinion and plan to file a greavence with kiaser.there cure for me is morphine,and they wonder why people hate the medical extablishment...just thinking of these id$*ts makes my head hurt

I have only found one other person who has the exact same problem I have and uses MMJ.
I have found hundreds have the same type of pain. I have other friends who smoke, that just can't keep up to me and I know there are many more out there that could smoke me under the table. How much does not matter.

Back
Top Bottom