Panicking about this issue: please help

Syd

420 Member
Hey everyone,
So this is my first grow. It’s a northern lights auto in week 8ish of flowering. Had no issues until this week and start to get the brown/rust looking stuff on older/larger fans leaves, which is now starting to spread. No idea what it is. I was told not to feed or bother the plant as autos can just be left alone....so that’s what I’ve done.
grown in soil. Bottled mineral water for hydration. Gave it one little feed last week with a liquid house plant solution. No fancy set up etc.
daytime is 24celcius and night time is roughly 18celcius. Humidity roughly 60-65%.
Please help as I’d hate to lose the overall very healthy plant at this late stage. Cheers!
B6EDF6CF-BEAB-4EF0-A9E2-6115EDB9FDB9.jpeg
BC56D314-0006-4809-A28D-B803DB0AAB64.jpeg
BC56D314-0006-4809-A28D-B803DB0AAB64.jpeg

Attachments

• 285D26EF-1080-413E-B7A6-FBC49745B779.jpeg
    285D26EF-1080-413E-B7A6-FBC49745B779.jpeg
    869.1 KB · Views: 75
Fan leaves are giving up the nutrients stored in them .... think of them as sinks to store energy and then sources for energy (seed/flower) as the plant gets older. Fan leaves typically have a shorter life span than the plant itself and why we see them discolor and FALL off before the harvest.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as the plant itself looks fine which I cannot tell since no pic of the actual plant.

Thanks for your reply!
with another month to go before harvest I’m afraid this will kill the plant as it’s happening fast and many leaves are showing similar signs
781F79D3-0F57-4B41-9AB3-8C76DED7B8FF.jpeg

Fan leaves are giving up the nutrients stored in them .... think of them as sinks to store energy and then sources for energy (seed/flower) as the plant gets older. Fan leaves typically have a shorter life span than the plant itself and why we see them discolor and FALL off before the harvest.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as the plant itself looks fine which I cannot tell since no pic of the actual plant.
here she is. She had a difficult start in life but has done well to come back strong! (If not a little slowly!)
231A4003-8AFA-412D-B073-88488F4043CC.jpeg

:welcome: to :420:
From what you've said so far you haven't been feeding it that's probably your problem. What medium are you using?

In my signature you will see a link on how to ask for grow support. you will get a lot more replies it help if you supply the required information.

:welcome: to :420:
From what you've said so far you haven't been feeding it that's probably your problem. What medium are you using?

In my signature you will see a link on how to ask for grow support. you will get a lot more replies it help if you supply the required information.
Cheers mate. That link helps a lot. I’m clearly new to posting as I am to growing!
I didn’t feed because I was using mineral water and thought that would suffice as Auto’s don’t like a lot of nutes (again this is something I read and not from experience). She had gotten this far without major hiccups besides growing slower than I expected.
I haven’t been looking at PH at all
She’s in biomix light soil in a 10 litre airpot.
as of this week I’m watering 2L every other day.
No other issues at all. I’m confused as I was convinced that this was a great hardy strain for beginners (luckily also one of my faves!)
I doubt she will make it to harvest if I don’t fix this as there is an increasing number of leaves showing similar signs.
Any advice on feeding for autos would be hugely appreciated guys and gals

Is this the soil your using?
600x600_2019-12-20-151018Light_Mix_2.jpg
Yeah that’s it. I was told it would provide nutrition for the first few weeks. But again I didn’t want to go crazy giving an auto added feed after this time frame. I was airing on the side of caution.

Who ever told you that doesn't know what thetr talkin about. It says on biobizz website it's mostly peat moss with worm casings perlite and buffers it has some nutrients for starting planets.they specifically say if you're going to grow a whole crop with it do you need to supplement it with their nutrients and they have a feeding schedule for that when using that medium. So yes you need to start feeding them. Go to their website download the feeding schedule.

Who ever told you that doesn't know what thetr talkin about. It says on biobizz website it's mostly peat moss with worm casings perlite and buffers it has some nutrients for starting planets.they specifically say if you're going to grow a whole crop with it do you need to supplement it with their nutrients and they have a feeding schedule for that when using that medium. So yes you need to start feeding them. Go to their website download the feeding schedule.
Ok Thankyou so much man! It’s been a learning curve but an enjoyable one.
looking at the leaves do you think it’s a magnesium deficiency? Will she survive if I start feeding properly?

Not exactly sure what deficiency you have you may have a few things going on. If you get the biobizz nutrients and use them as the feeding schedule tells you to things should come around. Following the manufacturer's advice is always best they want you to succeed at growing. I am assuming that you are in the UK? Otherwise I might have other advice on what nutrients to use.

Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions. In my signature is a link to my current journal have a look if you like.

Not exactly sure what deficiency you have you may have a few things going on. If you get the biobizz nutrients and use them as the feeding schedule tells you to things should come around. Following the manufacturer's advice is always best they want you to succeed at growing. I am assuming that you are in the UK? Otherwise I might have other advice on what nutrients to use.

Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions. In my signature is a link to my current journal have a look if you like.
Yeah I’m in the UK. There’s so many brands/products out there it can get a tad overwhelming particularly for a first grow. I will stick to biobizz because I like that they’re organic and they have a good ethos.
I’ll go get some feed and a PH metre for future grows too.
One last question and I’ll call it a night....what water should I use with feed products?? Where I live is hard water and fairly chlorinated. I considered using a Brita filter for tap water but ended up going with 2L bottles of mineral/spring water because it’s pure and only 17p per bottle.
Massively appreciate you taking the time to help out and answer questions this evening...it has made me realise that there’s more to growing an auto than I read!

I'm always happy to help if I can. Not sure about your water chlorine won't hurt it but if you're concerned you can have it sit out for 24 to 48 hours in some sort of jug or barrel and chlorine will dissipate. when you say your water is hard do you have any idea how hard it is? I mean my city water is hard water and it works just fine for me it has plenty of calcium and magnesium and chlorine in it I rarely need to supplement those. you can probably get a water report from your municipality or city but they're pretty technical to read anyways. Do you have any friends that are growing you can ask what they're using or when you're at the store getting your nutrients ask them about it. Now if they try and sell you reverse osmosis or something you might be a little suspicious of their intentions. Remember their job is to sell you growing products.

Do you have a nutrient metre you could test the water yourself to see what kind of dissolved solids reading you get.

I'm always happy to help if I can. Not sure about your water chlorine won't hurt it but if you're concerned you can have it sit out for 24 to 48 hours in some sort of jug or barrel and chlorine will dissipate. when you say your water is hard do you have any idea how hard it is? I mean my city water is hard water and it works just fine for me it has plenty of calcium and magnesium and chlorine in it I rarely need to supplement those. you can probably get a water report from your municipality or city but they're pretty technical to read anyways. Do you have any friends that are growing you can ask what they're using or when you're at the store getting your nutrients ask them about it. Now if they try and sell you reverse osmosis or something you might be a little suspicious of their intentions. Remember their job is to sell you growing products.

Do you have a nutrient metre you could test the water yourself to see what kind of dissolved solids reading you get.
I’m looking into our local water report to find out the specifics. I’m probably going to go with tap water through a Brita filter and use PH altering products. Then a ‘bloom’ for feed and see how it goes. This grow hopefully only has a few more weeks left. I will be grateful even if I only get a small harvest this time round. ill pay more attention during the next grow....as always, ‘the devil is in the detail’! Cheers again mate

I’m looking into our local water report to find out the specifics. I’m probably going to go with tap water through a Brita filter and use PH altering products. Then a ‘bloom’ for feed and see how it goes. This grow hopefully only has a few more weeks left. I will be grateful even if I only get a small harvest this time round. ill pay more attention during the next grow....as always, ‘the devil is in the detail’! Cheers again mate
The Brita water filter uses charcoal as the filtering system, I don't know if that'll have any relevance on the outcome, just throwing it out there.
I'm in south UK, I use the tap water with no ill effect, like old smoke said...I just leave the water to sit for 24-48 hours.

The Brita water filter uses charcoal as the filtering system, I don't know if that'll have any relevance on the outcome, just throwing it out there.
I'm in south UK, I use the tap water with no ill effect, like old smoke said...I just leave the water to sit for 24-48 hours.
Thanks mate. I’ll use the filter to take out any nasties...it’s easy enough to do and gives some peace of mind. My main issue now is sorting out my leaf problem. I can’t get any other supplements until the beginning of next month so I’m hoping the liquid feed I have will help her along....she’s a very slow grower this one

<cut out the extra stuff>
She’s in biomix light soil in a 10 litre airpot.
as of this week I’m watering 2L every other day.
<cut out the extra stuff>
10 liter pots is 2 1/2 gallons (actually closer to 2.6 gallons but it does not matter anymore). A container that size is not enough to allow you to get away with just watering from start to finish and expect a good crop.

I grow clones in 1 and 2 gallon containers and once I started adding some nutrients I got bigger plants, faster growing plants and bigger buds. Did I mention bigger buds ;).

What is happening is that we are growing what is considered to be a heavy feeding plant in small containers and we have ended up pushing the soil mix to the max it can do. If we, you and I, help the soil out it is surprising what the plant will respond with.

Keep in mind that peat moss does little for the plant as far as nutrients. Peat moss is a moisture holding soil amendment, helps keep the soil loose and fluffy, but it seems to take a couple of years to break down and start decomposing. Go with your plans for adding nutrients and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

10 liter pots is 2 1/2 gallons (actually closer to 2.6 gallons but it does not matter anymore). A container that size is not enough to allow you to get away with just watering from start to finish and expect a good crop.

I grow clones in 1 and 2 gallon containers and once I started adding some nutrients I got bigger plants, faster growing plants and bigger buds. Did I mention bigger buds ;).

What is happening is that we are growing what is considered to be a heavy feeding plant in small containers and we have ended up pushing the soil mix to the max it can do. If we, you and I, help the soil out it is surprising what the plant will respond with.

Keep in mind that peat moss does little for the plant as far as nutrients. Peat moss is a moisture holding soil amendment, helps keep the soil loose and fluffy, but it seems to take a couple of years to break down and start decomposing. Go with your plans for adding nutrients and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Brilliant. Thanks mate. At the minute all I have is this stuff I use on my house plants. What do you think???....it’s got to be better than nothing right?? What do you think about dosage of this by going off the nutrition label?
Im watering 3 times a week right now
BFF7EF66-BB2B-4F4C-925C-9192C541736D.jpeg
111D675C-7853-443D-9E1D-59C6F2F5BB5F.jpeg
7314300D-ECD8-47FD-96BA-3CFB58C0F500.jpeg

if you have a grow store in your town I would go there and get something more suited towards marijuana boobizz If possible to go with your medium. If that's all you can get then I would use it basically you are starving your plants right now. If you're going to use that I would feed it Full strength and every time you water.

if you have a grow store in your town I would go there and get something more suited towards marijuana boobizz If possible to go with your medium. If that's all you can get then I would use it basically you are starving your plants right now. If you're going to use that I would feed it Full strength and every time you water.
I can’t get any specific feed until the end of the month. So for now I’ll use this as you’ve suggested. I’ve realised I should get the proper feed now. All a learning curve and lessons learnt Cheers smokey

Back
Top Bottom