Help please! Panicking, think I killed my girls

Riki Takeuchi

420 Member
Hi all, everything was fine up until yesterday bar a slight fungus gnat problem. I bought some 3% Hydrogen Peroxide and used around 75ml in 500ml of water. I'm pretty sure I overwatered as there was a LOT of run off which I dried up. I was also experimenting with a usb fan blowing down on to top of plants last night, mainly to cool my 150w full spectrum CFL which tends to run quite hot, the breeze was gentle but noticeable on plants (not sure if this contributed to problem but I fell asleep and left it on). This morning I woke up to this heartbreaking sight, leaves have curled up quite severely and show signs of slight yellowing all around edges and some browning on tips.

These 2 in pics are the worst, smaller is a Speed Bud Auto (Female Seeds), the bigger is a Malana Bomb (Barney's Farm). Growing under cfl (18/6)in shop bought soil, smaller is 7-8 days old, bigger is 10. pH is fine, no added nutrients yet.

PLEASE HELP, I'm panicking bad right now.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20181003_065034.jpg
    IMG_20181003_065034.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20181003_065021.jpg
    IMG_20181003_065021.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 60
Any more information about your soil? Is there an ingredient list? It looks a little bit like nutrient burn to me, but also just looks as if the light is too close.

I don't think the fan blowing on them contributed, you'd probably be able to tell if it was blowing too hard--generally the only thing you'll see from too much air movement is the leaf will kind of make an upside-down canoe shape.

How high is your light from your plant?

As long as you have good drainage you probably are okay with the water amount, just let them dry out for now.

Could be your soil is too "hot" or PH. When you say PH is OK, what does that mean? What is it? Are you growing in soiless? re: coco or peat? Could be they didnt like the peroxide. Were they under the lights when you add peroxide? Did you spray the leaves?
Sorry for all the questions but the more info we can get you to share, the more we and others can help you remedy the problem.

No info on soil unfortunately, it was just a bag that I had laying around (I know, noob mistake).

Lights are a few inches away, using a 150w CFL (full spectrum) and 2 ordinary CFLs that are 45w and 60w. My main concern was that I used too much Hydrogen Peroxide, online guides seem to say one part to 4 parts water.
This was the biggest water they've had so far, had a little drooping early on so eased off, had let them dry out for 3 days prior to last night.

Thanks for helping.

pH is around 6. Soil is just multi purpose compost from a bag bought from a supermarket.

Lights were on when I added Peroxide and I didn't spray the leaves.

pH is around 6. Soil is just multi purpose compost from a bag bought from a supermarket.

Lights were on when I added Peroxide and I didn't spray the leaves.
pH of the soil? Are you testing with some kind of probe? Or are you talking about the water that you fed them with was 6?

A few inches MAY be a little close. 6-12" would probably be best. Put your hand above the plant, the back of your hand facing the light. Leave it there for about a minute or so. Does the back of your hand feel warm? If so, your light is too close. That same radiant heat buildup will build up in your leaves over an amount of time.

By the way, what is your light schedule? Did you have the lights on the whole time when you woke up to see this? It looks a lot like heat stress, but I'm not sure.

The soil you're using concerns me. Compost is generally not interchangeable as potting soil, and planting directly into it can lead to nutrient burn issues. Without knowing more about what it is, I would advise that you transplant into some regular potting soil as soon as you can.

The amount of hydrogen peroxide you used sounds fairly minute, and there shouldn't be a lot of ill effects that it would be showing. Your roots like oxygen, and they like H2O, and that's basically the two components of what you gave them, in an extremely dilute formula. The only thing that's going to be harmed by this application is the microbial life in your soil, but given it's compost I wouldn't expect it to even make a dent in it. Even if it had, you wouldn't have seen the effects so soon. However, the one effect the hydrogen peroxide could have had is to effect the pH balance of the water you gave them.

I'm using pH strips from a pharmacy, maybe not too accurate? Both soil and water have come up on the 6 mark using them.

Tested lights with hand, there is a slight warmth so I'm going to move them up a bit, the biggest CFL does tend to kick off a lot of heat from its base to be honest, hence why I was using the fan to keep it cool.

Light schedule is 18/6, they seemed fine last night when I checked them, went to bed and when I switched on again this morning I noticed that they had all reacts like this.

I've attached a picture of the compost, it was very cheap but online reviews seem to be good and my neighbour uses it for all her plants with no problems so I'm not sure. For my second grow though I'm definitely going to purchase something from the seed shop I use.

REALLY hoping these girls recover, they're looking so sad at the moment.
Thanks for taking the time out to help me!

Attachments

• large_lidl mpc.jpg
    large_lidl mpc.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 45
Just been digging around the rubbish bin and actually found the bag, no ingredients list though unfortunately. All it says is that it contains 'essential nutrients and trace elements to promote healthy plant growth'.
I did find reference to this particular compost on some old forum posts elsewhere, some swear by it and had excellent results, others hate it. All depends on the individual batch apparently.

Maybe giving them so much water combined with Hydrogen Peroxide shocked them and took away all the nutrients? I have a triple pack of nutes from Biobizz being delivered today, so maybe after these have dried out for 3 days that will help?

That very well could be your problem. You could try to flush with water, and then transplant into something else. Even if it's a store bought soil. Just try to find an organic potting soil with NO ADDED fertilizers or time released fertilizers.
Good advice.. Repot them in known soil .. no nutrients in the soil. flush them first and then repot them in mild mild soil. At that size they can go several days on just water with no issues. Feed them just every few days and until they are a fair amount bigger they will not need a lot of feed. We all want the biggest badest buds but I have found less is more with my plants. Auto's are tricky. You need to have it dialed in because they will flower on schedule whether they are healthy or not.

Good luck ;)
FE

Back
Top Bottom