Perfect Pot? U Of Guelph Researchers Working To Grow Marijuana Optimally

Robert Celt

Marijuana has been grown in a clandestine manner by a great many growers for a long time.

Despite that, an optimal way of cultivating the plant to boost its medicinal properties has not be found, says a University of Guelph plant scientist who is leading the charge to perfect pot growing.

Mike Dixon and his research team in the University of Guelph's controlled environmental system research facility and program, has received $210,000 from Ontario Centres of Excellence. The money will fund the application of new irrigation technology to medical cannabis growing. It's a process by which small sensors are strapped to the stem of a plant and hooked up to a wireless data logger that measures the water status of the plant every 15 minutes.

But that is just one component of ongoing work being done by Dixon on cannabis.

The work is in partnership with Napanee-based ABcann Medicinals, and will be carried out in ABcann's Napanee facilities. Due to regulatory restrictions cannabis can't be grown on campus without first going through a lengthy research licensing process.

The controlled environmental system research facility is a precisely controlled plant growth environment that carefully measures things such as plant growth rates, nutrient remediation and organic compounds.

Dixon is known for his extensive work over the past 20 years on the use of plants as biological life support in space travel. He has worked with multiple international space agencies and companies in the aerospace sector. His team is also working on plant-based cancer drugs with Guelph-based PlantForm.

He said finding the best way to grow medical marijuana will involve a systematic and repeatable approach.

"This is just the leading edge of how the phytopharmaceutical sector must go," Dixon said. "It must approach the production of medicinal compounds in plants in this manner."

The work with ABcann Medicinals is much broader than the irrigation component.

"We have a very comprehensive research program in collaboration with ABcann Medicinals," said Dixon. "We're doing the whole environment control package, including the lighting systems, and the organic growing substrate that we're developing. We are looking at the plant in its entirety, its relationship to environment control systems, and how that ultimately defines the productivity in terms of the medicinal compounds of interest."

Dixon said there are many variations on the theme of growing pot, but no standardized method. Perfecting and standardizing production and quality is necessary if cannabis is to attain the stature of a high quality pharmaceutical commodity.

Gaining the capacity to grow the same drug every time is absolutely necessary, he said. And while there are strong genetics available to do that, the only way to produce a systematic, standardized product is through using repeatable, high quality environmental controls. Dixon said no one has achieved it yet. The task is a big one.

"The plain truth is that the environment controlled recipe, comprised of light intensity, light quality, temperature, humidity, nutrients, soil attributes ... that recipe for specific commodities does not exist," he said.

"Every grower spawn by the decades of underground growing has their own recipe, but very little of it is proven in the cauldron of scientific research, with controlled experiments and objective assessments of the outcome, and detailed analysis of the medicinal compounds," he said.

marijuana_purple_bud_photo-2.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Perfect Pot? U Of Guelph Researchers Working To Grow Marijuana Optimally
Author: Rob O'Flanagan
Photo Credit: None found

This is my university!!!!!! WOW ! So surprised to see this here! I attended the University of Guelph for 4 and half years studying computer software engineering, I even have this posted in other threads somewhere. When attending back in the early 2000's This research ceased to exist. I'm very pleased to have moved on and see that they are taking marijuana more serious. I was there before all the new additions where there. Well in the middle stages of it all being built piece by piece. I used to do side studies in horticulture and botany and helped run the amazing greenhouses they have on campus. Aww,, the good ol' day's....

Anywas, this is awesome Rob. Keep it up. One of the reasons why I sign on everyday here is to see the information you post. I treat them as my newspaper and my magazines haha. Awesome job in keeping the community informed brother. I'll be watching for your next posts! :thumb:

"Every grower spawn by the decades of underground growing has their own recipe, but very little of it is proven in the cauldron of scientific research, with controlled experiments and objective assessments of the outcome, and detailed analysis of the medicinal compounds," he said.
The Record[/URL]

Really? Decades? Wow! Try 5000 years of refinement by people alot more in tune with nature than these bozos. God save us from from the hubris of the simpleminded with a research budget. Decades! WOW!
Now if we can just get rid of the smell and put it in a pill, all will be well.
Standardization... Give us more standardization... Where's my coat and tie?

Back
Top Bottom