ph and me

BackwoodsBabe

well this not realy a ? just a follow up about my ph night mare. see i searched high and lowes. i also listened to some advice from here.i combined it all together....(the info/advice)....ill keep you updated if anyone is interested...lol..i will let you know if it works,dropping ph in my soil.

thanks for the interest.it wont b til monday for some results...but heres what i know so far:1.(no offense to anyone anywhere) vinegar is used as a "weed killer".2.you shouldnt drop your ph fast.note that i use soil...i have no clue about hydro.so i hope this helps.how do i know vinegar is used as weed killer you ask? i like safer products so i did research for safe ways to kill weeds in my drive and well all the weeds in my drive are now dead. but what i have learned and am hopin works i have wrote it all down and will share....

well she is still alive.so far.here is what i did to lower my ph from 7.5 to 7.0 and hopefully a little lower.1.started using rain water.2.mixed in peat moss.3.flushed with 1 gallon rain water.4.waited 3 days.5.mixed in 3 tablespoons of Espoma Organic soil acidifier/5 gal soil.flushed with gallon rain water.yea it was some work but if i had known about ph, well it seems to b working.i hope this helps someone.this is my first grow btw.

PH of soil is best between PH 6 & 7 with most of the time PH is more favourable around PH 6 to 6.5 for optimal nutrient uptake :thumb:

You can get away with a little either side tho & may only effect micro nutrients or possible P - Phosphorus as in deficiencies over a period of time if the plant is hungry for those nutrients !

Most good brands of potting compost should be PH buffered between PH 6 & 7 which may well be labeled or marked on bag of compost, i normally avoid compost if PH is not mention...

If mixing you own compost or using garden soil can alter PH value of compost/growing medium used, so it is always best to check the soil/compost PH value with a suitable device to gauge PH value before growing.

Dolomite lime/garden lime can be used to buffer acidic/mildly acidic composts/soils towards PH 7 on average, but application may varie depending on soil/compost type to amount used !

Alkaline garden soils require some thing else which i can not remember of the top of my head at present...

But either amendment should be pre mixed with soil/compost several weeks before planting so buffering effect can take place & be more suitable for use when planting out is required/use !

With out any really knowledge of what you used whether that be garden soil to type of soil structure clay/sand/loam, PH value etc or random compost it is a bit hard to advise at present but i can provide suitable information for the future grows with some extra details if you would care to provide :thumb:

As for lights, all depends on what you are using at present to total over all space for bulb size to cover & how much you wish to increase you electric bill by :high-five:

When considering bulb size in wattage one must view total area of coverage this all relates to hanging height & the inverse square law of light effect that basically means light depreciation over distance which means optimal hanging distance which some of which might relate to heat stress/burn if hanged to closely to the plants as the the greater the size of bulb wattage produces more heat (BTU) that then leads to suitable ventilation of grow area to maintain favourable temps...

So some equipment choices may well need to be made like standard reflector or air cool reflector to suitable size extraction fan & intake of cool air/extraction of warm air etc !

Bulb size can effect end yield, but then again good growing skills or method used can increase yield greater than average :Namaste:

On average of bulb wattage to area coverage (light foot print)

250w, 2 foot by 2 foot on average 6 to 10 inch hanging height.

400w, 3 foot by 3 foot on average 8 to 14 inch hanging height.

600w, 4 foot by 4 foot on average 12 to 14 inch hanging height.

1000w, 5 foot by 5 foot on average 18 to 24 inch hanging height.

Give or take a little... i normally work on an average of 40w to 50w per square foot of growing area for a reasonable average when concerning MH/HPS bulbs...

Back
Top Bottom