PH question?

apps71

420 Member
Hey all
I’m growing in Pro-mix BX and using Dutch Nutrients , DN recommendation is a 5.8 ph for soil , I have been at 6.5 ph but my leaves are showing small sign of “nute burn”, you guys think I should drop my ph level to what they recommend ?

Hi apps71, welcome to the group!
The 5.8 recommendation sounds correct for a mix such as the BX, which really isnt soil, it is a peat based grow medium. Nute burn is a totally different subject, and not usually related to pH. Pictures would help so that we see what you are dealing with, but I would go with the 5.8 recommendation and stop treating this as if it were soil.

Hey Emilya , thanks for replying , might be hard to see them but some leave tips are bit yellow and burnt a bit , since my ph is high wouldn’t that cause some bit of nutrients lock out cause the tip to yellow and burn ?

Attachments

• 8A39C90A-BBE6-4772-815F-2C914809BC81.png
    8A39C90A-BBE6-4772-815F-2C914809BC81.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 654C576E-D60B-4E53-BCB9-EF32C467B9F7.jpeg
    654C576E-D60B-4E53-BCB9-EF32C467B9F7.jpeg
    591.5 KB · Views: 27
Hi apps71, welcome to the group!
The 5.8 recommendation sounds correct for a mix such as the BX, which really isnt soil, it is a peat based grow medium. Nute burn is a totally different subject, and not usually related to pH. Pictures would help so that we see what you are dealing with, but I would go with the 5.8 recommendation and stop treating this as if it were soil.

I guess next question is since it’s not really a soil should I be using there recommend feeding chart for hydroponic instead of soil ? If that is case I would be adding more Bloom A and Bloom B than I’m already

Hey Emilya , thanks for replying , might be hard to see them but some leave tips are bit yellow and burnt a bit , since my ph is high wouldn’t that cause some bit of nutrients lock out cause the tip to yellow and burn ?
cool setup! It truly is hard to see, but I do see a bit of tip burning. This just means that something was too hot for the roots... and sometimes it indicates damage to the fine root hairs because of pH or over concentration of nutes, running into unexpected barriers, etc...
I would recommend now that you know to use the Hydro side, adjust at first to 1/2 strength nutes and see if this can be tolerated with no new burning... and the yellowing should go away now that you will be giving proper nutes at the proper pH. When the plants get bigger, or if you can justify it with big lights, try upping the nutes and see how they tolerate it. Also, since you are now running this as a soilless grow, I would think that you should give those 1/2 strength nutes with every watering. Find someone on the forum here running a grow similar to yours, and see what they are doing. I am an old school living organic soil grower, and my methods are not entirely compatable with yours.

cool setup! It truly is hard to see, but I do see a bit of tip burning. This just means that something was too hot for the roots... and sometimes it indicates damage to the fine root hairs because of pH or over concentration of nutes, running into unexpected barriers, etc...
I would recommend now that you know to use the Hydro side, adjust at first to 1/2 strength nutes and see if this can be tolerated with no new burning... and the yellowing should go away now that you will be giving proper nutes at the proper pH. When the plants get bigger, or if you can justify it with big lights, try upping the nutes and see how they tolerate it. Also, since you are now running this as a soilless grow, I would think that you should give those 1/2 strength nutes with every watering. Find someone on the forum here running a grow similar to yours, and see what they are doing. I am an old school living organic soil grower, and my methods are not entirely compatable with yours.

Thanks ! I’m running a solo 1000 watt hps set at 750 watts right now and they are 14 days into flower so was going to bump it up to 1000 watts here any day and do a final trim up of unwanted branches and leaves on under side of Scrog net before day 21 .
Been growing for awhile but just lately decided to learn how to grow the proper way so I can get the best I can out of my garden , I became more of gardener I guess you say !

Back
Top Bottom