Phoenix Arizona what's happening to my plants they're dying

Perry421

They started mid-may so they're not that old they were doing great they were doing awesome then all sudden they started curling all of them except one I'm thinking somebody poisoned them cuz it's not the heat cuz it was the heat the other one that's doing great still would be affected also because I've done everything the same with all four of them so what's going on sabotage man step dad doesn't like me all from the same weed seeds
16905038118813044698265086343511.jpg

16905038485116570256401923995266.jpg

As I recall, haven’t the temps been breaking records for extended 100 degree plus weather for the last few weeks? Really looks light heat stress, you need to get them out of direct sun during the midday/afternoon sun. It’s so hot that the leaves are transpiring faster than the roots/vascular system can supply the leaves with water, they’re just cooking.

It looks to me like your plants that are surviving are in hard sided containers and your dying plant is in a fabric pot. Between that and your weather I’m willing to bet the fabric pot doesn’t have enough water. This plant looks super thirsty.

Fabric pots need to be watered almost 150% more often than hard sided pots. Especially if your hard sided pots don’t have major drainage on them. I would say your hard sided pots are retaining moisture in the hot sun and dry weather while the fabric pot is struggling just to stay wet, let alone retain moisture

@Azimuth hinted at it with the perlite recommendation

Also.. eff your stepdad, your profile says you’re 49.. who cares if he likes you, he’ll be dead soon anyway 🤣

It’s added enough pics.. I responded in your other thread. More water, now, then again a few hours later. Gonna need to seriously up your watering in the fabric pot and make sure to water twice to get the entire pot

This might be the 2nd or 3rd message thread in the past couple of weeks about plants doing poorly in the heat in Arizona this summer.

It looks like a collection of hard plastic pots. The first photo looks like a hard pot that has been out in the sun for a year or three and the color has started to fade giving it that gray color found on most types of cloth pots. The handles do not look like cloth and there is what seems to be a crack in the rim next to one handle.

The plant in that first photo looks like it might have gone too long without water. The soil mix looks damp so maybe it will recover but it will be a real struggle. If it does not then maybe slip the root & soil ball out to check the roots. If they did not grow to the edges then there might be clues as to what went wrong.

The 2nd photo's front and center plant also looks like something is starting to happen. It might just be the heat and strong sun. But the one off to the side, in the pot with 2 of 4 handles showing, does look like a healthy green at the time. There does not appear to be any wilting, clawing or canoeing.

We are not there to see all the things going on that you can see every day and seem normal. Makes me wonder if the ones that are not looking good are getting to much heat or sun. I cannot tell but were those photos taken in the early morning or late afternoon? Asking because of the length of the shadows. Does that wall face the sun during the day? If so, the white brick might be reflecting more heat or light than the plants can handle.

all from the same weed seeds
Which came from where? Bag-seed or from a seed bank?

What are you fertilizing with? If you are fertilizing how are you applying it? What about the soil in the pots. Is it a custom mix you put together yourself or is it something from the store?

sabotage man step dad doesn't like me
I think it would be unlikely. Why not do all of them and not just one or two?

This might be the 2nd or 3rd message thread in the past couple of weeks about plants doing poorly in the heat in Arizona this summer.

It looks like a collection of hard plastic pots. The first photo looks like a hard pot that has been out in the sun for a year or three and the color has started to fade giving it that gray color found on most types of cloth pots. The handles do not look like cloth and there is what seems to be a crack in the rim next to one handle.

The plant in that first photo looks like it might have gone too long without water. The soil mix looks damp so maybe it will recover but it will be a real struggle. If it does not then maybe slip the root & soil ball out to check the roots. If they did not grow to the edges then there might be clues as to what went wrong.

The 2nd photo's front and center plant also looks like something is starting to happen. It might just be the heat and strong sun. But the one off to the side, in the pot with 2 of 4 handles showing, does look like a healthy green at the time. There does not appear to be any wilting, clawing or canoeing.

We are not there to see all the things going on that you can see every day and seem normal. Makes me wonder if the ones that are not looking good are getting to much heat or sun. I cannot tell but were those photos taken in the early morning or late afternoon? Asking because of the length of the shadows. Does that wall face the sun during the day? If so, the white brick might be reflecting more heat or light than the plants can handle.

Which came from where? Bag-seed or from a seed bank?

What are you fertilizing with? If you are fertilizing how are you applying it? What about the soil in the pots. Is it a custom mix you put together yourself or is it something from the store?

I think it would be unlikely. Why not do all of them and not just one or two?

Nice call on the crack in the rim.. I was about to argue the handles look similar to mine but the crack is hard to debate lol.

The coloring of the pot is likely playing a role in the water retention then. It’s highly advised to use tan or white pots when growing outdoors since they reflect the sunlight, especially if they’re hard sided. A black container absorbs all of the light and really heats up the root zone by a lot. This could cause both stress on the plants roots as well as quickly drying out the medium. With the scorching Arizona sun and extreme heatwaves I wouldn’t be surprised if the black is really magnifying your issue OP.

Nice call on the crack in the rim.. I was about to argue the handles look similar to mine but the crack is hard to debate lol.
My give-away was the way the sides look rigid without the random bulges caused by how the soil packs when being filled.:) Then I looked for the seam where the handle would have been sewed on.

Interesting thing is that most of the black plastic pots made for the landscape trade, which includes most of what we see in grow shops, do not fade the way the decorative plastic pots made for garden end up doing.

Back
Top Bottom