Pistils dying and rotting

That1guy1

420 Member
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In week 4 of outdoor flower, pretty much my plants have fallen over due to heavy rain and some were submerged in water for a few hours and the buds got mud on them.
the pistils have started dying and going black, thought the mud had stained it but some of the stems have now started rotting.
can I go around and pull out the decaying pistils or should I just cut the whole buds off that are infected?
80% of the plant has at least small parts of dead pistils in the bud so I wanna try save as much as I can

n
F6CD66A3-96CA-4C32-B522-2F6AB3D990B2.jpeg
8610577C-4A66-4C8C-AFB3-B2DE58208DE6.jpeg
D680DF3A-FD84-4317-A705-0082B4DD8441.jpeg
030F6BC0-3BC6-464B-B9BE-9F81F5389FB5.jpeg
559F2477-617A-4B2B-881A-9B9152F6023E.jpeg

Pistils are delicate and die fairly easily with abuse- friction, water spray, heavy wind,, etc. New ones will grow. I’d just leave them for now- unless you are getting rot and mold all over the place - that’s a different story.

Get a scope and look at them at 100X - that looks like Hemp Russet Mites. Best to burn any plants that have them.

Russet mites are so small and they multiply pretty fast by the time you see damage its too late to fix it.

Here's what they look like at 500x - you can see how small they are. If you have these you will see thousands with that damage you have. Not saying this is what you have but its pretty common and we get them from sharing infected cuts or living near hemp grow outdoors. They only live on cannabis.

This happened around 5-6 days ago, I didn’t notice the blackening of stems until today however. I’m hoping it isn’t rot but I’m not sure I’ll have to keep an eye on them.
if it is rot would I have to cut off infected bud sites? And how would I be able to tell?

What’s your temp/RH and what are you spraying on them. I see water spots on the leaf.

Budrot is a common term for mold, and you’ll definitely see it if it grows for a while. It only takes a couple days to get mature to the point where there are fuzzy brownish/gray sections on the buds, and visible puffs of spores that fly up when you jostle the affected areas. Affected spots will usually get moist and slimy feeling. Usually it gets larger denser buds late in flowering.

Mold is opportunistic and thrives in moist conditions- especially moist conditions with little airflow.
I’m not saying your buds have mold. Though if it keeps staying wet I’d be surprised if they didn’t get some at some point.

Just something to keep an eye on. It’s hard to combat mold in an outdoor grow. If the sun comes back out then there’s less to worry about.

Kinda looks like Powdery Mildew. Easy to treat that as well as mold or bud rot aka Botrytis.

Organic treatment for PM/Botrytis are:

Green Cure
Serenade
Southern Ag garden friendly fungicide

I've had both of these and have used all 3 above with good result.

The darkening color of your pistols is of concern for me.

These treatments above will take care of serveral pests and again are organic.

What’s your temp/RH and what are you spraying on them. I see water spots on the leaf.
It’s outdoors and it would be water droplets that have dried up, there has been dirty rain here so that’s why the water spots are visible.

thanks for the insight and knowledge.
I had another closer look before and some of the bud sites have gone dark purple and have started to die, when cut off after examining the stems the more infected ones were completely black and soft like

The dark purple dying flowers are a virus/Phytoplasma. Vector likely leaf hopper or a relative.

This is a phytoplasma called ‘Ca. Phytoplasma asteris’ (16Sr I group)

Another issue with Cannabis that is world wide now.

Symptoms are stunted growth, witches broom and dark purpling of young flowers usually with necrosis but not always. Could be any of these symptoms or all of them.

Its a fairly new to hoo-man issue with cultivated cannabis.

How many hrs of sunlight they getting its close to spring so daylight hrs are above 12 it may be trying to reveg even though its an auto

Can green cure be used all through flower as a foliar spray? or is it best to stop a few weeks into flower and only drench with watering instead..since its is systemic.

Back
Top Bottom