Plant is growing, but wierd....

Aye, unless i can find a 300+W H.P.S Lamp i'm just gonna keep it outside.

i was actually thinking about trimming a limb off and cloning it in its flowering stage because as of right now the plant can and would flower if i put light on it and with a 100W H.P.S light i think i could possibly flower a small limb clone.
i also need to find a nice plant/garden store to buy rooting gel.

i have been counting down the stinking days till the Fall Equinox, i cant wait to see the flowering in this plant, its been through a lot of stress and crazy climates.

anyways, thanks for the support and input. :rollit:

how did it flower? were the buds large?

PS: so i got some "danknÃœgs" from a friend and i found 2 seeds, nice size and in good health. very happy.

word.

yea the sativa crop i grew in my yard looked just like this, having quite a thin stem and all.
the buds took ages to arrive but they came and they were growing all over the plants, every branch had just as much buds as the cola, but i did have to be patient.

so i talked to my friend and he said he had a lamp for me.. i went and got it... and brought it home, lamp and ballast, 400w Hydro_farm Light... but its not (HPS) its (MH), for budding cycle, does this matter? i know MH puts out Blue spectrums for VEG and the HPS puts off a Fall Lighting. Oh also, the guy i got it from owns a hardware store and they sell 400+W HPS bulbs but idk if they will work in this lamp.. i could ask.. anyways any info would be nice.. oh i have some pictures.

just built this box, have a door for the front but need hendges, and the light will be on top of box and shine thru a whole in the top also will be a round vent off the side.

DSC06314.jpg

and the bulb =]

DSC06322.jpg

will get more of plant soon =]

we all make do with what we got! the mh is not the best for budding, but it will still work a treat. as for the hps bulb question, i dont think so, you need a digital ballast that will support both the hps and mh bulbs, yours looks like a magnetic ballast.

Note that fluorescents can be triggered with a mechanical (not digital) timer. Click on, click off; it's just a switch. I use one w/ CFLs on my tomato's flowering clone (sorry non-420 related =). They cost about $5-6 I think.

What's so bad about using a digital timer with CFLs? I've been using a programmable digital "holiday timer" with my setup and I've had no problems with it so far.. Just curious is all mate :ganjamon:

I had a plant given to me by a friend that started out like yours after the cat ate it growing only single and 3 bladed leaves. It had to be hidden because of problems at his house so it was under a blanket for almost 3 weeks without any light before it was given to me( it was looking really sickly) but it was some good genitcs from canada and some how i nursed it back to health and got some amazing buds from it. ( if any of you read CC it was in issue #69. it was called snufflepagus)

How big is the box compared to the plant??
you might need something bigger because the plant will grow a bit during flowering. Some of my plants have doubled or tripled in size during flowering. plus you'll need to worry about heat builld up with that 400 watt. i had my 400hps in a 2.5x3x6.5 box with an air cool tube for the light and an exhaust both with 175 cfm blower fans and temps topped around 82-83.

Your plant looks wonderful. I'm sure it'll produce some great buds.
I also saw that cop get busted in the news paper. can't belive that one had to read it like 3 times

What if.....you took one of those large cardboard wardrobe moving boxes and placed it over your plant every day around 5pm then removed it when it got dark? Presto! All the darkness you need to flower your plant.

What if.....you took one of those large cardboard wardrobe moving boxes and placed it over your plant every day around 5pm then removed it when it got dark? Presto! All the darkness you need to flower your plant.

im not worried about simulating night/dark im worried about lighting, i dont want to keep it out side.

--------------
dimensions:

4' Wide (x) 5' Tall (x) 4' Deep

the box is wide enough for the plant, there is no bottom in the box, i plan on building a smaller box with no top on it that will fit perfectly under the one i have now so it makes it like 7ft instead of 5ft, i also plan on installing a few large fans/exhaust tubes from the side of the box.

--------------

about the MH to HPS, they have 400W Eye Hortilux Ultra Ace HPS Conversion Bulb - Runs on 400W MH Ballast

"The Eye Hortilux Ultra Ace HPS Conversion bulb uses existing Metal Halide lighting systems to minimize conversion costs. This conversion bulb converts Metal Halide to HPS allowing the Metal Halide ballast to produce the red HPS spectrum that promotes flowering and operates on a standard 400 Watt Metal Halide Ballast. Simply remove your existing Metal halide bulb and screw in the appropriate Eye Conversion Hortilux."

they are 100$ but my buddy owns a hardware store so i think i can get a good deal.

--

anyways, im working with what i got lol... which is low$ and weird products but she's doing good with what i've done =]

The conversion HPS bulb will work with your MH ballast, and the HPS is what should be used for flowering. However, 400w systems throw off a fair amount of heat, much more then the 100w system you are used to. You will need adequate ventillation in order to keep the temp. inside the box stable.

Also, as others have said, the plant will stretch dramatically during the first few weeks of flowering. You don't want to outgrow your box. You may have to make the box bigger and/or do some LST on the plant to get the whole thing to fit. :peace:

alright, well i think i'll grab the bulb, i might say "F" the box and keep it for smaller starters if i put a shelf in the middle then later have it split and have one side blue spec and one side red spec.but for now i think i'll hang the light in my walk in closet that has 9ft ceiling and is 6.5ft wide, has a door and is light tight, about perfect size, thats where its at right now actually with a 100W HPS and a 9200Lumens Sun Bulb on it, 10/14 .

this is my 1st grow so bare with me =]

What's so bad about using a digital timer with CFLs? I've been using a programmable digital "holiday timer" with my setup and I've had no problems with it so far.. Just curious is all mate :ganjamon:

Following is a quote from the US's Energy Star program re. CFLs:

"While CFLs can be used with mechanical timers, electronic or digital timers may cause interference with the electronic ballast, and can adversely affect product performance. Typically, CFLs used on electronic or digital timers will fail far before their rated lifetime. Remember, ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs are required to state any incompatibility with controls on the packaging, so be sure to read and follow the manufacturer recommendations."

Following is a quote from the US's Energy Star program re. CFLs:

"While CFLs can be used with mechanical timers, electronic or digital timers may cause interference with the electronic ballast, and can adversely affect product performance. Typically, CFLs used on electronic or digital timers will fail far before their rated lifetime. Remember, ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs are required to state any incompatibility with controls on the packaging, so be sure to read and follow the manufacturer recommendations."

Bugger. I'll be upgrading to HPS down the track.. when I have bigger grow space and the $$ to back it up, just hope these CFLs last me a few more months so I can at least harvest my next grow! If not I'll have to juist replace them as they go :laughtwo:

Greenleaves, grow box lookin' good mate! Ima keep watching this channel ;)

So, ive had this Plant for about 2 months, after about 3 weeks and having leaves, my cat decides to eat every leaf on the plant off, leaving only stems.

LOL! Yep... I had a cat do that, and my plant looked just like yours, all funny. That's weird. Anyways, it looks like it's recovered really well. My cat ate all the leaves and everything, so I gave up on that one and started over. Now I wish I hadn't done that. Good luck!

Well, I haven't been on here for a few, i've been quite busy and all. Anyways as for my Plant, It's doing well besides the bottoms leaves are dying and falling off, i know its because not enough light is getting to them, but as for the top of the plant, well.. she looks kinda purty, nothing spectacular but nice. some white hairs..

I think because of the lighting situation i am going to use the M.H. light a little right now to help it from dying. I will be taking some pictures in a few minutes and posting them. =]

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom