Plants and some questions

ScrappyD

420 Member
We germinated and grew indoors first, started with 10. Not all of them made it. Down to 4. But now, one of them looks like it's overripe? All are in 5-gallon buckets and are moved into the sun throughout the day. We don't live in the sunniest place in the world :) Where can I learn more about the growth and cultivation? Any ideas about the one that has brownish buds on top? We have one plant that seemed "male," but seems to be budding a bit now. Any suggestions are welcome.
2021_08_16_pots.jpg

This is a view of all 4. They smell amazing :)
2021_08_16_done.jpg

Concerned about the drying of the buds. Thoughts?
2021_08_16_pot1.jpg

Seems like a healthy plant.
2021_08_16_pot2.jpg

Another seemingly happy plant.
2021_08_16_potmale.JPG

This is the one that didn't seem as feminized as the others, but it's changing these days.

Again, thanks ahead of time for any help anyone can offer.

Read this to see if it helps you.

Start a grow journal and it will be easier to get help when you need it. Here's the link.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Thanks a bunch.

We did top the plants. It doesn't appear to be rot but more related to the high heat we've had here in VA. Green leaves were breaking through and there is zero mold or rot visible. In other news, the plants are thriving otherwise and that makes us happy. We did grow in the 70s and followed the advice of that era, but these ain't your gramma's seeds or plants!

Read this to see if it helps you.

Start a grow journal and it will be easier to get help when you need it. Here's the link.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:
Didn't think of a grow blog. Good idea. This will not be our first season growing, so I'll give it a shot next time. Thank you so much!

Ideas on how to avoid it? And is it contagious? We're Googling like crazy, but did think someone here would know.
Yes its VERY contageous. Dont touch it and clean everything that comes into contact with it when you chop that top off on the plant you think is over ripe.

Google this "botrytis" = it's a mold.

It's most likely genetics at play. Growing AUTOs outside prolly the reason.

For treatment use micronized Sulfur. Bonide (BND1428) is your friend here.

Wont fix that one plant and I suggest culling it ASAP and burn it in a fire and not one you're puffing on.

Yes its VERY contageous. Dont touch it and clean everything that comes into contact with it when you chop that top off on the plant you think is over ripe.

Google this "botrytis" = it's a mold.

It's most likely genetics at play. Growing AUTOs outside prolly the reason.

For treatment use micronized Sulfur. Bonide (BND1428) is your friend here.

Wont fix that one plant and I suggest culling it ASAP and burn it in a fire and not one you're puffing on.

There is zero mold on it. That's the weird thing. We did cut it back.

Nice looking plants in the photographs except for the one with the brown area in the flower.

First thing I thought was Bud Rot before I even saw you mention your concern under the photo. The reason it looks and feels dry when you touch it is because that area of the plant has already died off with just the few larger leaves and the stem still alive.
There is zero mold on it. That's the weird thing. We did cut it back.
Not all molds show up as something looking like large and fuzzy and a different color. Example being the blue mold that shows up on a piece of Blue Cheese.

The problem with Bud Rot is that the infection is inside the bud and the brown color shows up after that area of the flower bud has already started to die. There is a good chance that the area of the plant was infected 2 weeks, maybe 3 weeks ago, or even 4 weeks ago.

We're Googling like crazy, but did think someone here would know.
@bobrown14 had the name for Bud Rot. Do a bit of that googling using just the one word he mentioned or add another word so the search looks like this: botrytis marijuana
If the photos do not show in that search then look for and click on 'images' and the pictures will show. What you have looks like some of those examples.

Also, read through the article that @Tokin Roll provided the link to up in message #4. That article is the first message of a thread here on 420magazine.com and describes Bud Rot as looking very similar to what is on your plant. The real important part is that the problem will start inside the bud where the growers do not see it unless we do a slow and very careful look including spreading the bud apart a bit to see if any parts of the flower are starting to turn gray or brown.

It is possible that you were able to catch the problem in time when when you cut it back but you still have to keep checking. Also consider moving that plant away from the others just in case. You want to keep it from spreading.

Nice looking plants in the photographs except for the one with the brown area in the flower.

First thing I thought was Bud Rot before I even saw you mention your concern under the photo. The reason it looks and feels dry when you touch it is because that area of the plant has already died off with just the few larger leaves and the stem still alive.

Not all molds show up as something looking like large and fuzzy and a different color. Example being the blue mold that shows up on a piece of Blue Cheese.

The problem with Bud Rot is that the infection is inside the bud and the brown color shows up after that area of the flower bud has already started to die. There is a good chance that the area of the plant was infected 2 weeks, maybe 3 weeks ago, or even 4 weeks ago.

@bobrown14 had the name for Bud Rot. Do a bit of that googling using just the one word he mentioned or add another word so the search looks like this: botrytis marijuana
If the photos do not show in that search then look for and click on 'images' and the pictures will show. What you have looks like some of those examples.

Also, read through the article that @Tokin Roll provided the link to up in message #4. That article is the first message of a thread here on 420magazine.com and describes Bud Rot as looking very similar to what is on your plant. The real important part is that the problem will start inside the bud where the growers do not see it unless we do a slow and very careful look including spreading the bud apart a bit to see if any parts of the flower are starting to turn gray or brown.

It is possible that you were able to catch the problem in time when when you cut it back but you still have to keep checking. Also consider moving that plant away from the others just in case. You want to keep it from spreading.
Thank you so much. Will do some more learning when on the computer later.

Thank you so much. Will do some more learning when on the computer later.

You definitely helped. I still don't see these exact examples on image searches, but I'm pretty convinced too.

We're just growing a few plants for personal uses and, like I mentioned, it's been since the 70s, when we hid plants between corn stalks to not be detected, that we have grown pot. We tend to the plants several times a day because of our sun situation. We have to move them into the sun and out of the shade at least twice a day. They're our babies.

This is one of the buds we cut off. Just thought I'd share closeups. The two buds we cut are away from the plants and have been separated from the plants for a while. They're the ones we've been talking about.

I've also attached plant 1 and plant 2 with closeups of their buds, which now appear to be turning brown. Distressing!
We'd love to hear your thoughts.

sickbud1.JPG

sickbud2.JPG

bud1.JPG

bud2.JPG

bud3.JPG

bud4.JPG

It certainly looks like the problem had been spreading from plant to plant over the past several weeks and is starting to show up now.

I have had a Bud Rot problem on a couple of indoor plants a few times. I would either cut the stem several inches below the brown area and toss it. Or, I would just toss the whole plant. When I saw the problem start up all of the plants in the flowering tent would get sprayed to with anti-fungus or anti-mold products. Most of the plants I grow are inside.

During the summer I do have a few plants on the patio or in a stealth grow by the side fence. No bud rot problem on the outside plants. The only fungus type of problem outside is Powdery Mildew and so far this summer it has not been as bad as the last couple of years.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom