Please Diagnose My Plants Defects!

mavafunculo

420 Member
Hi, first time grower here, and I’ve run into some problems that I just can’t pin point the reason of its occurrence. Some of my Fan Leaves have brown spots, some even looking like they have burnt tips. I’ve done some research and some of the things I have found it could be is Root Rot, Nutrient Burn and/or pH Fluctuations, but have little knowledge on this and could be completely wrong.

My soil mix is 2-part Premium Potting mix from my local garden store, and 1-part Mushroom Compost I had left over from my Vegetable Garden, with added Perlite for aeration. I also use nutrients in my water: House & Garden Van De Zwaan Soil A & Soil B and Hy-Gen BudLink, 30mls of each mixed into a 10L water container. These nutrients and ratios were advised to me by a friend who has used the exact same liquid nutrients and potting mix, minus the 1-part Mushroom Compost (only thing I have done differently to them so far) and they haven’t encountered the same problems as I have with their previous and current grow, although I am now skeptical that the nutrients might be my problem.

I don’t think it could be Root Rot as I water them only when the soil is dry past my second knuckle which means watering is 2-3 times a week depending on the weather. They also only get 4 cups (I use the plastic Reds cups around 450mls in size) when watered which is enough to see some excess water flow out from under the pots. I also re-potted them 5 days ago and my roots did not look like they had Root Rot from the photos and videos I saw.

As for the pH Fluctuations, I don’t know too much about pH levels although I have ordered a pH tester to test the water with the nutrients and the soil which should be arriving next week some time.

I have attached some photos of the leaves and the nutrients I have been using to help better understand my problem, I’m looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say, thanks for your time!

Attachments

• IMG_7577.jpg
    IMG_7577.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7570.jpg
    IMG_7570.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7572.jpg
    IMG_7572.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7574.jpg
    IMG_7574.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7576.jpg
    IMG_7576.jpg
    671.3 KB · Views: 69
Nute burn typically effects the tips of the tender new growth. Judging from the pix, I'd be inclined to look elsewhere for the problem.

I see holes in the foliage. Are you indoor or out? Have you done a thorough exam for pests?

What is your water source? Until your ph tester arrives, procure some reverse osmosis filtered water. It is arguably supposed to be ph neutral.

Are you using a cal-mag supplement? Sensi makes a formula that is highly "digestible" for the plants and has some good essential trace minerals. Always a good additive to use for a bit of insurance.

Hi, Its an outdoor, yes I get some bugs and startred using a Neem Oil Pesticide yesterday.

I have been using the brought water from the 10L tub mixed with the Nutes but i have just re-filled it with tap water. No im not using any calcium or magnesium supplements, should i be using them?

Hi, Its an outdoor, yes I get some bugs and startred using a Neem Oil Pesticide yesterday.

I have been using the brought water from the 10L tub mixed with the Nutes but i have just re-filled it with tap water. No im not using any calcium or magnesium supplements, should i be using them?

Here in the states, municipalities often add absurd amounts of chlorine, fluoride and other yukkies that plants don't tolerate well. If no other option, allow municipal water to set in the sunlight for a day or so prior to using.

Cal-mag is a good supplement to use as a preventive measure as well as curative. Be advised, however, all cal-mag additives aren't created equally. Many aren't as easily absorbed by the plant as others. Also, some have essential trace minerals as well that can definitely be beneficial in warding off deficiencies. I'm not a big proponent of Advanced Nutrients due to some social improprieties of the owner in the past, but their sensi calmag xtra is the cats meow in my book.

Im gonna say ph or that mushroom compost is a bit off. See what the ph is saying when the tester kit gets there :D 6.3-6.5 for soil is perfect

I had the seedlings in straight mushroom compost for 2 months and they were doing so well. These leaves only started getting like this around 2 weeks ago which by then I re-potted them 2 more times and the mushroom compost ratio has been less and less as I never added anymore into the mix. I hope it is the pH levels because i dont know what it could be! D:

Here in the states, municipalities often add absurd amounts of chlorine, fluoride and other yukkies that plants don't tolerate well. If no other option, allow municipal water to set in the sunlight for a day or so prior to using.

Cal-mag is a good supplement to use as a preventive measure as well as curative. Be advised, however, all cal-mag additives aren't created equally. Many aren't as easily absorbed by the plant as others. Also, some have essential trace minerals as well that can definitely be beneficial in warding off deficiencies. I'm not a big proponent of Advanced Nutrients due to some social improprieties of the owner in the past, but their sensi calmag xtra is the cats meow in my book.

Yeah here in Australia I think the tap water feature the same kind of additives. That sounds like a good technique i will have to try.

Ill defiantly have to give Cal-Mag a go, Thanks!

Well fingers crossed its just PH issues then. But checking pot weight is a much more effective way of checking your soil is dry than the knuckle test. Next time you water keep lifting your pots every day to check the difference and then one day bam it'll be light as a feather, thats when you water again.

Back
Top Bottom