Please Help! 110v outlet, 220v timer

bmo420

Can I plug a 220v timer for my light into an oulet rated for 110v? I don't know for sure what the outlet is rated for,(google says canada is 110v outlets) currently plugged in is my furnace, an extention cord with a 600w mh/hps, small oscillating fan, and a space heater for when lights go off. If I plug furnace into a different outlet, and move extention cord to a different outlet, can I plug a timer (220v) into the outlet and have only the light going to it?

re: Please Help! 110v outlet, 220v timer

Hi bmo420,

Welcome to 420 Magazine.

I'm may not be best person to answer your questions as I know just enough about electricity to avoid killing myself, but otherwise be dangerous! :laughtwo: I'm also not familiar with Canadian wiring standards and codes.

Here in the US and 220 outlet and corresponding plug is vastly different than a 110 outlet so a 220 plug will literally not fit into a 110 outlet. I take it that may not be the case in Canada? Do the plugs look similar?

I do hope that someone with more experience in electricity (particularly Canadian wiring) will respond, but my gut tells me this won't work even if the timer would fit into the 110 outlet. I beleive the wiring for 220 is different in the way it is grounded (or not grounded more specifically) from 110 and timer simply wouldn't work with a 110 power source.

I do hope you'll check back on your post later as I may be entirely wrong and I have found the 420 magazine community to be incredibly helpful and generous in trying to help each other out.

Be well and good growing!

Thanks for ur input, I have a friend who is somewhat an electrician, so I'm going to see if we can hook up a 220v outlet straight from the panel, if that's even possible? My gf and I both are working, so no one will be here to turn lights on/off and flowering is supposed to start in a few days. So now I have the problem of timing my lights

Happy to help (if I did) bmo. Based on your reply I'm thinking perhaps I misunderstood your question. Are the lights you desire to plug into the timer rated for 220 or 110? If they are 220, then even if you could plug the timer into a 110 outlet, they wouldn't work well if at all. If they are 110, then you wouldn't want to run them on a 220 outlet.

Timers are cheap most places and a new timer may solve the problem more easily than runnning a new outlet.

My lights have a normal houseld plug-in off the ballast. I'm going to have to find out somehow what it is rated for. Its running off a 110v socket, so is that what it is rated for? Or could it run better off a 220v perhaps if that's what it is rated for?

If anybody could even point me in the direction of a timer that will work with a 110v outlet and be capable of switching 600w ballast.

Most good timer's off the shelf with a ground should work. Check the specs. of the timer to find out its top wattage. That's how I started (timers & 110V) but now i'm using a controller (4 lights) with built in timer that runs 220V. Real easy, I'm no sparky either.. 30 amp breaker/controller/and some 300V wire and your set! That will save on your hydro bill and the ballast will run cooler + last longer. cheers

My ballast says 110v - 240v, its currently plugged into a 110v socket, if I plug it into a 220v socket will it work better?

Your ballast is currently wired for 110. You can't plug a 110 cord into a 240 socket.
The ballast will have to be rewired for 240.

Your cheapest route is a new timer. Don't they have walmart type stores in Canada?

Yes, I bought a timer bar from walmart, but it doesn't turn my lights on, I don't think they r strong enough

110v outlet - 125v 13A extention cord - ballast .. And that works fine.. But when I go outlet - extention cord - timer - ballast it won't light. Should I go outlet - timer - extention cord - ballast maybe?

Perfect !! :) the tiner had to go directly into the socket was all, light is on with it now, tonight will be the test run.. Off at 10 on at 10

Glad you got that resolved bmo. Good luck and happy growing.

Back
Top Bottom