please help me understand my well water PPM

Proliferation

I am new to the hydro scene and am finally in the finishing stages of my grow room. I will create a journal for the room build (and grow journal once I start) but have decided to wait till its 100% finished so I can post it all at once. This is pretty much my final step/issue in finishing this never-ending project.

I have decided to go with an 24 site ebb and flow system made by green-trees with a 100gal reservoir. It's the same exact setup as the Capp ebb and grow system just made by a different company and not using the stock 55gal res.

I have been trying to get a handle on what nutes I'm going to use and the different strengths to use depending on how old the plants are, etc, etc. I have been reading the journals of experts such as Pit Viper and Old Grower Dude as well as nutrient manuals for hydo information and feel like I have a good understanding of majority of information but the one thing I don't have a solid understanding of is my tap water situation. I get a reading of 600PPM for my tap (well) water and wasn't sure how to account for that when adding nutrients to my reservoir.

The real option in my mind was filtered water and have been thinking about this for a while, it's just an area (like electricity) that I am limited in knowledge. A friend of mine who is now a part owner in a local hydro shop was nice enough to GIVE me a HydroLogic Stealth Reverse Osmosis (RO200 200gal/day) water filter for FREE. I was planning on mounting this system above my res and using it whenever I needed water. However, the thing is so damn slow and it also wastes a lot of water and that is my biggest problem with the system so far. I don't really care if I have to hook the hose up to it and come back in 6 hours but it wastes a ton of water and I don't really want to run a waste line that just dumps the water back outside. Even if I could get creative with using it for my garden outside, etc; I know I'm still going to be wasting a lot.

For anyone who hasn't used a RO filter like this before it has 3 lines in/out of the unit. One central line feeding water into the system, a second line that delivers your RO filtered water and a third line that contains the waste water. Systems such as this have a ratio of about 3:1 so that means approx 300 gallons of waste water for the 100 gallons of RO water delivered to the reservoir.

As you can tell my problem is with understanding my current water situation. Do I need to use the RO system or could I just get by with a good sediment (or other similar type) filter that doesn't waste any water? OR could I leave the tap water as is with no filter? I'm leaning toward using some kind of filter than nothing but I am clearly going to have to take PPM of water coming out of the well into account. Anyone who can push me in the right direction now that I've given all this information would be greatly appreciated.

cheers:Rasta:

I am new to the hydro scene and am finally in the finishing stages of my grow room. I will create a journal for the room build (and grow journal once I start) but have decided to wait till its 100% finished so I can post it all at once. This is pretty much my final step/issue in finishing this never-ending project.

I have decided to go with an 24 site ebb and flow system made by green-trees with a 100gal reservoir. It's the same exact setup as the Capp ebb and grow system just made by a different company and not using the stock 55gal res. Good size rez. make sure to have the temp of your water set around 67 to 70 before getting your ph set...ph fluctuates with temp changes but if you keep the temp stable your rez should last a good 10 days in between changes without much ph change.

I have been trying to get a handle on what nutes I'm going to use and the different strengths to use depending on how old the plants are, etc, etc. I have been reading the journals of experts such as Pit Viper and Old Grower Dude as well as nutrient manuals for hydo information and feel like I have a good understanding of majority of information but the one thing I don't have a solid understanding of is my tap water situation. I get a reading of 600PPM for my tap (well) water and wasn't sure how to account for that when adding nutrients to my reservoir.you should find what works best with your medium or vise versa what works best with the nutes you want to use...as for the water ppm, on the nutes it will tell you what to feed based for example on your water being 100ppm. so if it says to feed 1500ppm then take the 100 away...now add the 1400+ your 600 and when you mix your rez your shooting for 2000ppm.

The real option in my mind was filtered water and have been thinking about this for a while, it's just an area (like electricity) that I am limited in knowledge. A friend of mine who is now a part owner in a local hydro shop was nice enough to GIVE me a HydroLogic Stealth Reverse Osmosis (RO200 200gal/day) water filter for FREE. I was planning on mounting this system above my res and using it whenever I needed water. However, the thing is so damn slow and it also wastes a lot of water and that is my biggest problem with the system so far. I don't really care if I have to hook the hose up to it and come back in 6 hours but it wastes a ton of water and I don't really want to run a waste line that just dumps the water back outside. Even if I could get creative with using it for my garden outside, etc; I know I'm still going to be wasting a lot.

For anyone who hasn't used a RO filter like this before it has 3 lines in/out of the unit. One central line feeding water into the system, a second line that delivers your RO filtered water and a third line that contains the waste water. Systems such as this have a ratio of about 3:1 so that means approx 300 gallons of waste water for the 100 gallons of RO water delivered to the reservoir.

As you can tell my problem is with understanding my current water situation. Do I need to use the RO system or could I just get by with a good sediment (or other similar type) filter that doesn't waste any water? OR could I leave the tap water as is with no filter? I'm leaning toward using some kind of filter than nothing but I am clearly going to have to take PPM of water coming out of the well into account. Anyone who can push me in the right direction now that I've given all this information would be greatly appreciated.

cheers:Rasta:

I tried telling you a couple of times already to try your water out on some and you'll see if you're driking it and not dead yet I'm sure your plants won't do any worse then these at 1100ppm well water....

100_1846.JPG

100_18441.JPG

you should find what works best with your medium or vise versa what works best with the nutes you want to use...as for the water ppm, on the nutes it will tell you what to feed based for example on your water being 100ppm. so if it says to feed 1500ppm then take the 100 away...now add the 1400+ your 600 and when you mix your rez your shooting for 2000ppm.

that's what I thought! thanks

my well water is 225-300 depending on how much it rains. I just pretend I have zero PPM and nute away...600 is high...the real issue is what is in your 600 ppm? you may have a lockout on certain nutes unlessw you go R/O. I cant use H&G due to my water and Im not adding an RO system. My plants thrive on GH nutes.

my well water is 225-300 depending on how much it rains. I just pretend I have zero PPM and nute away...600 is high...the real issue is what is in your 600 ppm? you may have a lockout on certain nutes unlessw you go R/O. I cant use H&G due to my water and Im not adding an RO system. My plants thrive on GH nutes.

ditto pit, I run 225 out of the tap and just add nutes and nutes take it down to like 6.0 on the dot sometimes. Plants love the water. I had no other probs other than the plant needing cal mag because of def.,they do very well throw that in with GH nutes, I run floranova grow and bloom liquid karma and cal mag +. Hope this helps. :)

SG

Back
Top Bottom