Please help us pick a light

first, thank you for your support and care. THANK YOU :)))

i can't use any lights that generate heat. all that ducting and venting out the heat, temp control, etc, is too complex for me right now. my mom lives in a smallish condo, and doing all that extra stuff just isn't possible right now. plus i don't think they'd be too happy about big silver ducts poking out the windows, especially because she lives on the ground floor with the back room's window facing the front door like 20 yards away.

WOW...that low-cost grow setup is AMAZING.

not sure i could manage that though, i'm kinda clumsy and i tend to break things :3

but now you guys have got me curious about how much i NEED to be spending on all this...i've been all over reddit reading these growers' threads and it makes me really confused and like i'll never figure any of this out...would you mind answering a couple questions please?

1) it seems like the interior moisture might start molding the cardboard box after awhile, don't you think? isn't mold terrible for plants?

2) i've been reading that these low-cost LED lights are horrible, they only yield about .5g per watt (if that), they break fast, they generate a lot of heat, lights burn out quickly, etc...i was looking at a 1500w one of these on amazon or like $185 but everyone says they're terrible for growing anything decent. everyone says "spend the extra $$ and get the HLG 260 lights, you won't regret it when harvest time comes", but who can you trust? it's like everyone is mini-maxing or they're promoting affiliate links, so idk.

i mean how good could a $100 light be? wouldn't everyone be using them?

like i said before, idc about massive crops but i gotta figure out what will get at least .75 per watt, hopefully 1g per watt, my mom uses quite a bit of cannabis for her condition, and we don't have the space to grow 4-5 plants at a time =/

3) would this setup work for DWC/bubbleponics? i found a great site that's all about setting it up, and the parts are affordable, but reddit says DWC makes HUGE plants and idk if they'll fit in the smallish space. they also say these 3500 HLG lights help keep plants short and bushy...idk...

i can't post links, so what do you think about me getting one of these lights? it's more than i wanted to spend but if it's bigger yields it might be worth it, especially if the price of cannabis goes crazy high like they say is gonna happen in january due to massive shortages when IL goes legal...

i'm sorry if it seems like i keep asking the same questions over and over but i'm kinda confused and thinking about 20 things all at once right now, it's very stressful x.x thank you again for all of your help.

260W QB V1 LED Kit, $279

Horticulture Lighting Group 260 Watt V2 Quantum Board DIY Kit, $329

1. EVERY light generates heat. The ONLY question is how much heat for the light that you get. LED and compact fluorescent full spectrum lights are good in this area.

2. To prevent mold and mildew ventilation and circulation of the air are must-do's. Ventilation is moving air through the space which will remove heat and if filter will remove the odor during flower and circulation is moving air inside the space which helps prevent mold spores from attaching to your plants and also the breeze helps the plants grow stronger stalks to hold them up. You cannot do without either but these items can be found on the relative cheap.

3. I agree that a hydroponics setup is asking for trouble (technically coco is hydro but has less moving parts and would be better).

Forgive the boldness, but you seem to want your cake and to eat it too. You can't have it that way but you can make smart choices. We have one grower on here who literally grows in a cardboard box and still has all the needed things and it's very cheap. I wish I could remember who that is off the top of my head for you.

NOTHING is going to produce without good lighting. Good. Not expensive and not trendy. Just good.

I hope you find what you are looking for. I'm subbed into the thread so will be watching.

@missty80 I'd listen closely to @Mayne when it comes to lighting. He's one of the best on the site when it comes to illumination. His recommendation on growing media is slightly different than mine (I'm a Pro Mix guy) but that is a preference thing. I'd also recommend ditching the bubbleponics for a beginner. Will probably save you on costs too. Mega Crop for fertilizer, big agree on that one. Simple, cheap, effective. I recently made the switch to Mega Crop and had my best harvest yet. 32"x32" tent (so less space than you are proposing) and pulled 29.5oz on 3 autos). Don't expect that yield on your 1st run, but a pound off 4 autos in. 3x3 is very doable with the right seeds. If you decide to grow autos, I suggest seeds by Fast Buds or Dutch Passion. Those companies seem to have superior auto genetics.

hi guys thanks so much for all the good info ^_^

some followup questions:

- i found a 315w CMH on amazon, it's Grow Co. 315w CMH Halide Fixture for 149.99, is one of these enough for a 3x3 tent? no need to vent heat? can it handle 2 plants in the tent?

-
I’m probably going to be running up a lightning rod for criticism here but if you’re not chasing that trophy plant status and trying to adhere to a constrained budget, don’t overlook screw in LED’s. There’s a thread that’s been ongoing consistently for 4 years now on another site that’s devoted to this type of lighting. Google “Blynx SIL” and you’ll find some unexpected results and a lot of good info on the subject. Many of the growers are reaping 1.2+ grams per watt.

If you’re not a DIY’er getting these set up might be a challenge. I’ve recently started a new semi-autonomous experiment using a pair of these:

They’re a pair of 60w LED floods sourced from amazon at only $34 for both. That’s $.28/w. I think one unit would do a decent job for an individual plant.

Since this is my first attempt with these units, I can’t attest to how they will finish up but judging from the start, I’ve got high hopes

WEEK 1

WEEK 2

WEEK 3

please tell me more about these lights?? they're so cheap and if they can do 2 plants in my 3x3 i'd be SO happy!! do they get hot or anything?

some followup questions:

- i found a 315w CMH on amazon, it's Grow Co. 315w CMH Halide Fixture for 149.99, is one of these enough for a 3x3 tent? no need to vent heat? can it handle 2 plants in the tent?

I’m probably going to be running up a lightning rod for criticism here but if you’re not chasing that trophy plant status and trying to adhere to a constrained budget, don’t overlook screw in LED’s. There’s a thread that’s been ongoing consistently for 4 years now on another site that’s devoted to this type of lighting. Google “Blynx SIL” and you’ll find some unexpected results and a lot of good info on the subject. Many of the growers are reaping 1.2+ grams per watt.

If you’re not a DIY’er getting these set up might be a challenge. I’ve recently started a new semi-autonomous experiment using a pair of these:

They’re a pair of 60w LED floods sourced from amazon at only $34 for both. That’s $.28/w. I think one unit would do a decent job for an individual plant.

Since this is my first attempt with these units, I can’t attest to how they will finish up but judging from the start, I’ve got high hopes

WEEK 1

WEEK 2

WEEK 3

please tell me more about these lights?? they're so cheap and if they can do 2 plants in my 3x3 i'd be SO happy!! do they get hot or anything? i have a 6" vent fan and air filter thing that came with the tent, and 2 small walmart fans i want to put on the side of the tent to blow at the plants, and one more on the floor to blow upwards bc i read about the mold and moisture thing, no problem with that...

i'm pretty much all set up, got the seeds and everything, i just need to figure out what lights i can afford X.x

i think i'm gonna go with the coco loco bc it seems much easier, and i like the name coco loco ^_^

@Mayne thanks for that info, if you have a few mins would you plz be kind enough to reply with links to all that stuff i need to buy, or PM it to me? i guess i'll skip the bubble like you suggest if it's really that complex, i just picked it bc it seemed simple, the girl from Grow Weed Easy makes it sound effortless...

a reminder i'm growing 2 autoflowers, one called LSD for her mood and one Lemon Potion CBD for all-day use and for getting to sleep at night...

ty to all, you guys are so nice for helping us out <3

misty

i'm sorry if i seem like i'm all over the place but i've literally been getting like 2 hrs of sleep for the past 3-4 weeks, going to work and doing this research and helping out my mom, i just need to get this all sorted out so things can get back to normal-ish around here, it's been so stressful and exhausting and tbh i just wanna get it done :confused:

i'm sorry if i seem like i'm all over the place but i've literally been getting like 2 hrs of sleep for the past 3-4 weeks, going to work and doing this research and helping out my mom, i just need to get this all sorted out so things can get back to normal-ish around here, it's been so stressful and exhausting and tbh i just wanna get it done :confused:
The hard part hasn’t even started yet, but neither has the fun part.

Good luck!

:passitleft:

Sorry to hear about your situation.
I think soil is easier to learn than the hydro. Soil is harder to mess up.
just shooting out that I bought a.couple lights off amazon for under 400 each canadian and they are 630 watt actual draw led with 6 cree cibs in it at 50watts each. 3 @ 3000k and 3@ 6000k also 140 mjlti color and ir and uv whatever small 10w diodes. They look like optic but half the price.
I have photos and videos up but cant post. I started a thread and again was taken down as it was a.non sponsor item. They will cover a 5x5, there is a 400 or 450w one with only 4 cobs for a hundred less than mine. Get vid1eo searching and check 3000w cree cob I am cannabisconcentration there and on insta if you wanna see them.
Hope you figure out what you need. God bless and prayers to you both.

some followup questions:

-

please tell me more about these lights?? they're so cheap and if they can do 2 plants in my 3x3 i'd be SO happy!! do they get hot or anything?

A CMH would absolutely work. Think full spectrum including UV light, energy efficient, penetration, coverage for 3x3 easily...I thought of recommending because I use one (actually 2) and it's great if it's within your budget. I'm short on time so that's all i got.

what do you guys think about this one on amazon for $142? remember my grow tent is 36x36x72...

MARS HYDRO TS 1000W

or this one?
FISSIONING LED Grow Light 120W Full Spectrum 3000K Quantum Panel with Samsung LM301B and Meanwell Driver

i'd love to buy one of those nice HLG lights but at over $350 i just can't really afford it right now =/

is 72" high enough to not burn my plants with any of these lights?

i just don't know, i've been getting a lot of responses but i still don't know how MUCH light i actually need for the space, plus all these lights are "not as much wattage as advertised", i'm still so confused x.x

not saying that's anyone's fault, it's my difficulty understanding these complex things, i really appreciate everyone's advice and input.

thanks again guys...

A CMH would absolutely work. Think full spectrum including UV light, energy efficient, penetration, coverage for 3x3 easily...I thought of recommending because I use one (actually 2) and it's great if it's within your budget. I'm short on time so that's all i got.

thank you! i'm going to consider this light as a top choice then, do i need to worry about heating up too much in the tent or it burning my plants if it gets too close??

they also say you need to switch bulb from vegetative to flower, does that mean i need to buy two expensive bulbs? :confused:

i plan on running it 24/7 from seeds to harvest bc they're autoflowers and people say they don't need light/dark changes.

<3 misty

thank you! i'm going to consider this light as a top choice then, do i need to worry about heating up too much in the tent or it burning my plants if it gets too close??

i plan on running it 24/7 from seeds to harvest bc they're autoflowers and people say they don't need light/dark changes.

<3 misty

CMH lights basically combine the technology from MH and HPS into one light and are more efficient similar to LED and CFL. If you can afford it then I recommend wholeheartedly.

As far as heat, I ran them for a while at full blast (without the overdrive setting, just at 315 watts) and I could touch to hood/cover and while it felt warm I never felt like it was too hot and it certainly would not burn me so heat is there but not too bad. That's true with ANY light, though.

Remember with LED lights to look at the real wattage pulled from the wall and not the model number.

I no they don’t kick out half as much heat as hps lights so u won’t have trouble with burning ya plants long as u git nice air flow coming in your be fine with 315

<3 misty
Hi Misty, I will have a post later, U could use 2 Mars TS1000's if you wanted more light, thats an option. 2 TS1000 i think are better then the TS2000, more light..

You want about 300 watts for that are, I made my own light using COBs, for my 3x3, but usually never use more then 250 of the 300 watts i have available.. will post in a bit later,

CMH lights basically combine the technology from MH and HPS into one light and are more efficient similar to LED and CFL. If you can afford it then I recommend wholeheartedly.

As far as heat, I ran them for a while at full blast (without the overdrive setting, just at 315 watts) and I could touch to hood/cover and while it felt warm I never felt like it was too hot and it certainly would not burn me so heat is there but not too bad. That's true with ANY light, though.

Remember with LED lights to look at the real wattage pulled from the wall and not the model number.

thank you for replying so fast, my mom literally texts me several times a day at work asking if i'm making any progress, i've been so worried about her, she's stressed about all this too, so these helpful and fast answers are literally a godsend for both of us. i think i'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel, that's a bad pun...

so before i pull the trigger on this CMH 315 from amazon, just to recap and double check...

- it's plug and play, no messing around with it?
- my mylar grow tent from amazon can support its weight (i've heard they can get heavy, up to 20 lbs)?
- i don't need to change bulbs from vegetative to flower stage?
- i can run it 24/7 with these autoflower seeds?
- it won't need to be replaced for about 2 years or so?
- my 72" high grow tent will be high enough to keep the light far enough above the top of the plants without any issues? both these strains were rated "easy" difficulty and "short" height, one is LSD the other is Lemon Potion (idk if those are popular strains tbh)
- it doesn't need any complicated venting or air cooling? i'll have a couple little fans blowing on the plants for strength, and a 6" vent fan/carbon air filter came with the tent, this setup will keep things with enough fresh air and cool enough?

i'm impressed by carcass' budget setup and i know a place where i can get a huge refrigerator box for free, can i paint the inside with flat white or will that not work on cardboard? i hear that's the best, and the car reflector things aren't so great...i can send back the grow tent, bc it isn't opened yet and i could really use that $100 refund...but not sure how carcass hung a heavy grow light AND installed his vent fan and air filter setup inside a cardboard box without the cardboard tearing? o_O

i wish my dad were alive, he was great at building things...

i think i'm getting to the final decision at last, sorry about all these silly last-minute questions but i'm SO grateful to you guys for your patience and help, this is literally the only place i found where people are really helpful and kind and it means SO much to us :)

<3 misty

I did have the 3 under a Mars Hydro 300w and a Morsen 1000. THe MH TS 1000 doing the 3 no problems at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20190726_112021.jpg
    IMG_20190726_112021.jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 72
I did have the 3 under a Mars Hydro 300w and a Morsen 1000. THe MH TS 1000 doing the 3 no problems at all.
thanks for that info, is this your first time using it? i'm curious about how well it'll work when the plants are huge and flowering, i keep reading that people say "penetration is weak" during the last stage. have you used the Mars Hydro before?

Back
Top Bottom