Please help us pick a light

from doing even further research, it looks like i'm going with this from amazon:

seems to be plug and play, no messing around, and it's free one-day with prime + free returns if it goes south, and all for about $160, which is less than half of what i originally planned to spend on a light :D

315W CMH CDM Grow Light Kit W/Bulb

you guys have NO idea how happy this makes me, i've been doing this stuff FOREVER and i'm so excited i've finally found what will work best without worrying about massive heat, tons of bulbs that might burn out, the lights being too far or too close to the top of the plants, and maybe i can even squeeze a 3rd plant in there if i feel daring? ;)

if i get about 2 oz per plant (dry), i'll be very happy. i'm even thinking about rotating plants (starting 2 in the tent, then adding a 3rd about a month into the grow) for a constant grow cycle :)

i'm going to try to locate a big cardboard box and send back the tent for the $100 refund...

for now, amazon accepted all my returns for the bubbleponics gear, and using soil, it looks like i'm going to save about $150 there too!

now i just need to put together a final list of all supplies (soil, nutrients, etc) and i'll see what the final tab looks like.

if it comes to around $300 i'll consider this a big bonus, bc here in my state medical cannabis goes for about $450/ounce, so this will more than pay for itself with ONE decent harvest!!! :D

my mom is gonna be SO thrilled when she hears the good news and i get plants in the soil!

if there's anything else i should know, please reply and we'll get it sorted out.

otherwise i'll take pics and prolly start a new thread for my grow journal so i can share the experience and the final result :)

You should keep your tent, using a cardboard box is not really a good idea honestly. The tent is a safe bet. I learned the hard way buy building my own growing boxes a few times before I got a real tent. The tent will save you lots of frustration in the future.

You should keep your tent, using a cardboard box is not really a good idea honestly. The tent is a safe bet. I learned the hard way buy building my own growing boxes a few times before I got a real tent. The tent will save you lots of frustration in the future.
yes i was just thinking that myself tbh...

i figure building it all, making it sturdy and stable, making sure the holes are are light-tight and airtight, containing the odors, etc....not worth the headache and bs really.

gonna stick with the 36x36x72 grow tent, it's pre-made and ready to go, has fan holes etc, the expense is fine now that i saved a lot of $$ not spending $500 on lights :)

i'll def check out mega nutrients, hopefully can find it on prime.

@missty80 Im going to offer some soild advise. Only to help your first grow be successful and not frustrating for you. Ive learnt from my own mistakes and will happily help anyone who wants the help...

Personally I like to use "Hempy" style growing, only because its very simple and cheap....

Hempy = a $3.00 plastic garbage bucket, pale or anything els you like to use. Lets say 3Gal in size. Drill 1 hole the size of a crayon in diameter in it, 2 inches from the bottom on the side of bucket.

Now you have a bucket with a hole in the side. Good.

Buy pearlite and vermiculite at the hardware store garden section, around $10 each roughly or less. Mix them together 50/50 and put it all in bucket till full. Rise the medium in the bucket, in your bathtub and rinse till water comes out that drilled hole.

Place a shallow bucket, bin or tray under your bucket to catch the water.

You simply feed megacrop nutrients daily, example: 1gal water mixed with megacrop and feed the whole thing to your plant daily, the extra water comes out the hole into the catching tray.

All you need:
Bucket 3gal
Megacrop nutrients
Light
Tent and accessories like the carbon filter and fan
Seeds
Water
Thats it.

Not trying to overwhelm you in anyway, only tryin to help you be successful!

PM anytime

Are CMH lights hot????

Not sure

QB lights rock...diy is cheap, but maybe not yet best option
yes, i'd love to buy one of those amazing HLG quantum boards, but $400 is out of my price range right now =/

and there seems to be an ongoing debate about whether the stuff from alibaba is good or authentic, and tbh i'd rather not mess around with all that or try to assemble things myself, i'd probably just blast myself through the wall X.x

<3 misty

yes, i'd love to buy one of those amazing HLG quantum boards, but $400 is out of my price range right now =/

and there seems to be an ongoing debate about whether the stuff from alibaba is good or authentic, and tbh i'd rather not mess around with all that or try to assemble things myself, i'd probably just blast myself through the wall X.x

<3 misty
@CADBOY
@Mayne

PM'd you :)

i'd rather not mess around with all that or try to assemble things myself, i'd probably just blast myself through the wall X.x

<3 misty

You will be fine with your decision on the 315W CMH CDM Grow Light Kit W/Bulb, it will bring you great results.

yes it gets hot, but you have the filter fans and regular fans to deal with this. It will be ok.

ps. Im confident that your fully capable of building your own lighting and looking good while doing so...For the sake of simplicity, buying a plug n play light feels right.

<3 misty

All the QB lights/bds come from China, like 3 manufacturer

Same as with lipo batteries, my old hobby/business....they just slap yer name on it and ship it to ya

Alibaba is as good as any stuff

I'd order from them if I needed more QBs, all I use is QBs now

But u do what makes u comfortable... Lights are the most important purchase of growing...be comfortable with what u get

Here is Cherry Wine CBD. Sopposed to be 18-20% CBD, and .3 THC Legal Industrial Hemp seeds.

This is day 68 from seed. I started her on 12/12 till she showed sex, then i topped, transplanted and flipped to 18/6 for 14 days. Topped again in that 2 weeks time, and then flipped back to 12/12 on day 30 from seed. She showed sex in 16 days from seed.

I made my own light, using 4 cobs and a 730 NM night puck. I use around 200-230 watts most of the time, and then blast them with 300 watts for 2 hours mid day, then back them down to 200 watts. They love the rest, and sometimes, like in these pics, i dim to 50 watts total, like cloud cover,lol.. the enjoy the rest it seems.

Using CocoLoco, and to date, she only got 400 PPM of MegaCrop in the 68 days. I didnt feed her anything for around 60 days i think it was. She only had 2 feedings, on Mondays.. Rest is RO water/Mag, 1 dose of PK boost, getting another monday. 2 total doses for the grow. 1 early flower, 1 mid flower, .. 1 dose of Open seasme early flower 2 doeses of Recharge. I never feed more then 250PPM at one time/ per week. The first feed, was only 100 PPMs of Megacrop.

This is a 3x5 area, but use mainly just the back of the closet, or about 3x3 area for light concentration.

the frost is amazing for a CBD i think. The smell is like rotten cherries, almost peppery smell, cheesey smell.
4.5 weeks left, 10 weeks strain.

Morel of this post, Cocoloco is awesome stuff. Need for Cal-mag a must if using LEDs, not sure about the CMHs. Water when the pot is around 70% light.

The light has holes because when i first made the light, i used strips, and in a 2x2 tent, got to hot because heat couldnt rise, hits 1200PAR at 16inches. Was a great light actually, should of just made a whole nother light, lol, and left this one alone, but noooooo, i like the container i made out of wood, had to use it still,lol.. Fun tho..

missty there is nothing wrong with the Burple lights i started with those and had great success just power output matters watts I was running the platinum led p900
I started with the philzon 600w then philzon 1500w
Then platinum led p900
Grown in botanicare readygrow moisture "Coco Coir"
with GH Flora Series and calmag and silica blast
"Edit"
Image were there standing
left strain the tall one is GG#4 x Uk Cheese Right One short one is Sweet Zombie

Attachments

• 20190326_205432.jpg
    20190326_205432.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 20190407_183748.jpg
    20190407_183748.jpg
    853.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 20190423_074626.jpg
    20190423_074626.jpg
    746.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 20190503_070335.jpg
    20190503_070335.jpg
    783.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 20190529_090817.jpg
    20190529_090817.jpg
    864.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 20190609_152943.jpg
    20190609_152943.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 105
Grow tent
Grow lighting
Carbon filter
4" inline fan for carbon filter
Inline fan speed controller, this lets you have "dimmable" ability over the inline fan, otherwise it will run at 100% and its kinda loud.
4" airline tube, looks like dryer hose
Fan for air circulating inside tent.
Power bar to plug everything in with power surge protection
Cannabis seeds
Rapid rooters or jiffy pucks 1 per seed
2gal Air pots 1 per seed
Shallow bin to put air pots inside of to catch the water runoff, 1 per air pot
Coco + pearlite medium
PH pen
Megacrop nutrients 300g Minimum
Watering container, to mix your water with nutrients and use to water plants.
EPSOM SALT (Magnesium Sulfate)
CalMag+
Water
PH up and down, store bought or DIY

Complete list.
Anything els is really unnecessary

Sounds like alot. Its really not tho.

I use the CMH lights from Amazon and they are great. Way cheaper than local. I like to support local but when your saving hundreds it makes it hard. The CMH are no hotter than LED's of equal punch IMO. I can put my hand on the reflector and hold it there. Don't get me wrong they do give off heat. All strong lighting does. I noticed you mention you might not vent your tent? I really can't see that working well. Not only for heat reasons but the plants like a good exchange rate of air for their health as well. Perhaps I misunderstood?

I use the CMH lights from Amazon and they are great. Way cheaper than local. I like to support local but when your saving hundreds it makes it hard. The CMH are no hotter than LED's of equal punch IMO. I can put my hand on the reflector and hold it there. Don't get me wrong they do give off heat. All strong lighting does. I noticed you mention you might not vent your tent? I really can't see that working well. Not only for heat reasons but the plants like a good exchange rate of air for their health as well. Perhaps I misunderstood?

hi :)

yes, i'm venting it. the grow tent came with a vent fan + carbon air filter, plus i'm going to run 2 smaller fans, one on the side and one below the plants to discourage mold and pests (if i'm understanding right) and to strengthen the stalks.

i think that'll be ok for fresh air and controlling excess heat, right? i think there won't be a lot of heat, as you said.

i plan on just using one of the CMH lights i listed above, so that should be good for decent harvests without getting too hot...i hope anyway :3

<3 misty

Cant wait to see your grow thread here. Give it an awesome name, like. MoMA's expedition through the majestic forest ,)

@CADBOY
definitely will :)

think i'm gonna call it something like Gina's Green Daze (days), lol, gina is my mom.

i'm looking forward to the grow journey too, this is my very first time and i can't wait to see if i'm any good at this, i'm not too worried about the setup, i'm just anxious the one light will be enough for the plants. i really don't want to disappoint my mom after making her wait 3-4 months for her medication =/

<3 misty

missty there is nothing wrong with the Burple lights i started with those and had great success just power output matters watts I was running the platinum led p900
I started with the philzon 600w then philzon 1500w
Then platinum led p900
Grown in botanicare readygrow moisture "Coco Coir"
with GH Flora Series and calmag and silica blast
"Edit"
Image were there standing
left strain the tall one is GG#4 x Uk Cheese Right One short one is Sweet Zombie

@Crankedup gorgeous!! i'm impressed ^_^

<3 misty

Back
Top Bottom