Poll: Goal of the Movement

What Should be the Goal of the Movement?

• Full legalization; Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • Full legalizaton; Let's drag public opinion into the future strategically

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • Decriminalization; We still need some controls - just not incarceration

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Keep Prohibition; I'm making good money this way

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

Keith Lake

420 Emeritus
420 Staff
We've been having some great discussions about the goal of the Cannabis movement as of late. This poll is take the pulse of the group on the issue.

My argument for "Full legalizaton; Let's drag public opinion into the future strategically", is that if we try to go too far too fast, we may do more harm to the cause from a public backlash.

i'm not sure about the 'movements' goals. who is the movement? we are so splintered and in many cases actually working against each other how would we ever define who the movement is?

personaly i'm for the total legalization of marijuana and hemp.

Let's drag public opinion into the future strategically", is that if we try to go too far too fast, we may do more harm to the cause from a public backlash.
i agree

Legalize, Regulate & Taxation. Going full speed ahead and meeting things with a force of show, can be overbearing to some.Having always been successfull when aproaching goals that have a steep up hill climb is a specialty. Going too far to fast alienates some.
Having backing and support for this goes further than strong egos carrying a loud verbal message.

i'm not sure about the 'movements' goals. who is the movement?

I think your're right that there are a lot of different splinters in the community.

My perception of "the movement" of main stream cannabis activism = MPP, NORML, ASA, SAFER, & Drug Policy Alliance.

Great poll question.

I voted for dragging public opinion too. I'd love to say "Full speed ahead!" but the only people who are successful with such strategies are the government when they use all their guns and (our) money. The government said, "Full speed ahead!" with the Patriot Act, and now again with the bailouts. None of us have enough guns or other-people's-money to achieve the same kind of instant cannabis revolution.

This is why I so love California's absurdly liberal medical cannabis laws. Public opinion is bound to be swayed when Mr. Average Joe wakes up one day and realizes that weed is already basically legal, and there have been no negative consequences. This falls into the "show don't tell" philosophy. "See, weed's legal, and the sky didn't fall." It's an argument that can't be countered. Proof in the pudding.

i think the goal of the movement is personal freedom. if a man wants to smoke a green plant instead of a brown plant, he should be able to without anyone else passing judgement or telling him other wise. i say screw the government and their rules, i live by my own laws and will continue to do so.

well i think that although full leagalization would be great we need some regulations on it like no grow shops in a school zone and legal age limits so i voted for decriminalization

Im for all of them/any single one we can get done QUICKLY! I have spent time locked up for growing a plant and it sounds bad, but you dont realise how bad it really is until your sitting in a cage for GROWING A PLANT. your just sitting in their unable to see the beautiful sun rise or feel the cool breeze across your body. You try to think of who was hurt in the process of the crime and you can only find one victim.....YOU

We cannot be a fully civilized people when we have others locked away for simply encouraging the growth of a plant thats been here for thousands of years and will continue to grow regardless of wether we help it or not.

Ending the war on drugs is what the movement should eventually lead towards because prison is not where someone who chooses to alter their reality belongs. Like the old canadian prime minister once said "drugs are not a criminal problem, they are a health problem." Locking up "addicts" is what turns them criminal because anyone thats been to jail knows it is a crime school. You meet people you otherwise would not have known and learn things you never before had the desire to pursue the knowledge of.

GanjaGardener Gardening Ganja since 2004:yummy:

i have to agree with ganja gardener though i voted full speed ahead i think we should take advantage as much as possible of the new administration. everyone should write/email there congress person and respectfully tell them the truth about cannabis. marijuana is a mexican slang word that is supposed to degrade cannabis. and the war on it is nothing more than political. my $.02

The only thing in that statement insanejeckehi that is off(I think)is when the gov. told farmers to grow 3000 tons or more in '42...wasn't hemp made illegal in '37? maybe it's me mistaking

i'm for full legalization...not in one big step though...we should probably ease into something like this because if it does become legal, more than likely, the reason will be to try and help our economy

Peace and Toke
:roorrip:
JmiZZLe

I am for full legalization too, but the way I think it is going to happen, at least in Canada is more and more cases are going to be tossed out due to the unconstitutional naure of the law as it stands. There will be Draconion measures put forth by the federal Cons that will force the other parties to form a coalition government or force another federal election where Canadians are just going to get sick and tired of the clowns on the hill and vote in some Green party members. Then the Greens will push the issue of the the unconstitutional nature of the law and start puting out press releases and get air time on tv. People will see it is in their own best interest to get rid of the red tape around hemp and it will be so free to get medical marijuana that a defacto legalization will be in place. Then after time it will be made law. In the meantime the States people are going to force more states to go the Medical route and the feds will be faced with an overwhelming majority of people in favour of legalization. I think it will take time but it will be helped along by the fact that there is going to be a massive amount of people out of work who will turn to growing for money since there will be nothing else for them to do. Does this make sense to you folks? I see all this in my head but I don't have much of a chance to talk to other like minded people.

I am for full legalization. I know there are a lot of growers out there that don't want full legalization, but we need to look out for the common good for all tokers. I have read that Obama is waiting for his second term to tackle the marijuana issue, but if he doesn't do something soon he will lose my vote and many others.

Public opinion has been dragging for 70+ years! Stop worrying about alienating the Nazis; they don't worry about alienating you. In the fight for black civil rights there were riots in addition to legislation and if there were more riots there would have been more legislation.

It's time for civil disobedience. Here's an idea: Sow millions of seeds from sea to shining sea. From the oceans to the mountains to the prairies, green with pot! They'll go broke trying to eradicate them all. Eventually even the densest Nazi understands when it's time to retreat. Don't tell me there aren't people in the business who couldn't spare a few million seeds for the cause. Plant pot for peace! Plant pot for the environment!

Full legalization is great, but there needs to be some regulations as others have said and that's probably the only way it is gonna happen in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom