Pot Patient Told To Smoke, Not Grow

An Albuquerque woman says she's doesn't know what to do now that police have seized her medical marijuana plants.

She has a permit to possess the drug, but not grow it.

"I'm devastated." Alana Bonaccorsi told News 13. "I am anorexic, and I only have a little bit at night to help me eat."

She told KRQE News 13 she thought she could grow it too. But Wednesday officers ripped up her plants after she called to report that some teenagers tried to steal the plants from her backyard.

"I don't have the money to buy it, and I thought I was able to grow my own," Bonaccoris said.

But she doesn't have a grower's permit. Now investigators are trying to determine if she should be charged.

Vashti Lowe with the district attorney's office said this isn't a typical drug case.

"We are going to look at the law very carefully," Lowe said. "We are going to prosecute those people who are in violation of the law and attempt to safeguard the rights of those individuals who have legitimate illnesses and a valid license to either possess or grow marijuana."

Debra Busemeyer with the state Department of Health said the number of medical marijuana permits has increased in the last few months.

"We have 540 active patients in our program, and of those a little over a 100 have a license to produce for themselves," she said. Patients are informed from the beginning of the limits of their permits, she added.

The permits limit possession to no more than 6 ounces, and growers can only have 12 plants.

For those not allowed to grown their own, there is a non-profit group permitted to distribute in the state. But Bonaccorsi said it's too expensive for her.

"Seven grams will be close to $90, and there's 28 grams in an ounce." Bonaccorsi said.

The health department said it is fairly easy to upgrade someone with a user's permit to allow them to grow marijuana. The DOH said it's happy to help with that.

The district attorney's office said it expects review Bonaccorsi's case in the next few weeks.

Growing marijuana for personal use is a misdemeanor while growing enough for distribution can draw 18 months in jail.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: KRQE News 13
Author: Alex Tomlin
Copyright: 2009 KRQE News 13

How could this possibly be a non for profit place at $90 for 7 grams. Who is shitting who here. It is the same in California. This pot is just outragously priced. I am all for capitolism mind you, I have no problem with people making money in any business, but to call something non for profit and 7 grams of grass is 90 bucks, what type of pay is the staff's making. A good female genetic seed, from the best in the netherlands is about $6-9 bucks, about $80 a month in electricity for 1000W light, which can easily grow 16 plants to maturity, indoors, nutrients, time does not equate to $90 bucks for 7 grams. We are ripping our own culture off and not making a very good citizen in the process.

in my vision of a perfect world we take care of one another. growers of heart would help those who can't grow not out of a motive of profit but of easing anothers suffering. co-ops would be in the business of communal growing. but can humanity move beyond greed? i know that individuals can. i retain the values i learned in the 60's.

this can be a difficult world for an idealist

Absolutely! I do not smoke at 50 like I used too, but I love to grow, I will relish the day I could help those prescribed. Good for you, keep your dream alive.

While I agree on many levels Led I think it is just another symptom of this stupid,ongoing battle against stupidity,prejudiced and intolerance.
When you consider how much these guys have to spend on their lawyers just to protect their basic rights, then the price seems more reasonable.

I think we need to be careful not to become like all the other negative and judgmental people in power and to really study and understand what it is we are discussing so that we don't speak purely from emotion and guess.

The story didn't even mention if they went after the punks that tried to rip her off. These teens are the only criminals in this story.

Yes, Caber, I can certainly be faulted by emotion, that is why I guess I could never be a good Lawyer LOL. I understand your point and thank you for sharing this with me.

Back
Top Bottom