Pot size for coco

Explain what you mean by lock out - are you having deficiencies? Are you feeding to run off? What's your pH going in and coming out? I'm not familiar with the nutes you use, so I can't comment.
The leaf edges turn up and roll inward toward the center. I always water to runoff. My PH: In- 5.8 +- 2, Out- low 6's. I'll try reducing the nutes to 1/3 strength and feed everyday. My buds don't look bad, they're just nothing like yours

The leaf edges turn up and roll inward toward the center. I always water to runoff. My PH: In- 5.8 +- 2, Out- low 6's. I'll try reducing the nutes to 1/3 strength and feed everyday. My buds don't look bad, they're just nothing like yours
Your description of the leaves rolling inward sounds like heat stress. What are your temps? Heat stress is more noticeable in flower because the plant is no longer producing new leaves. I don't think you have any type of lock out or deficiency.

Your description of the leaves rolling inward sounds like heat stress. What are your temps? Heat stress is more noticeable in flower because the plant is no longer producing new leaves. I don't think you have any type of lock out or deficiency.
Temps a consistent 75°F, is that too high? Thought it was within a good range.

There are several good options for growing in coco - all of which provide all of the essential elements for good plant growth. GH MaxiBloom, GH FloraNova Bloom, and GH Flora Series (Micro and Bloom only). I have used all of these with great success. I prefer the MaxiBloom because it's a powder and is low cost - liquid nutrients are water and I can add my own water, I don't need to pay for it. I have also heard that Canna A&B is good - just make sure that the nutes are coco specific.

Just curious to why you recommend using GH flora series micro and bloom only? Is there enough nitrogen?

Just curious to why you recommend using GH flora series micro and bloom only? Is there enough nitrogen?
There is enough nitrogen in the micro - it's the Lucas Formula. The original Lucas Formula was 8ml micro and 16ml bloom per gallon from start to finish but it has been updated for coco to be 6ml micro and 9ml bloom per gallon. It's a proven formula that's been used successfully for years. Using the MaxiBloom at 7 grams per gallon of tap water and FloraNova Bloom at 8ml per gallon is almost exactly the Lucas Formula as well.

There is enough nitrogen in the micro - it's the Lucas Formula. The original Lucas Formula was 8ml micro and 16ml bloom per gallon from start to finish but it has been updated for coco to be 6ml micro and 9ml bloom per gallon. It's a proven formula that's been used successfully for years. Using the MaxiBloom at 7 grams per gallon of tap water and FloraNova Bloom at 8ml per gallon is almost exactly the Lucas Formula as well.
Do you foliar feed at all Mick?

Do you spray at all? What do you do to control pests/fungus and things?
I have never sprayed anything on my plants. The only pest I have ever encountered is fungus gnats and they are easily eradicated without spraying anything. I have never had fungus, but I have had bud rot before. The best ways to prevent pests is to keep your grow area clean and give your plants silica.

I have never sprayed anything on my plants. The only pest I have ever encountered is fungus gnats and they are easily eradicated without spraying anything. I have never had fungus, but I have had bud rot before. The best ways to prevent pests is to keep your grow area clean and give your plants silica.
I'll definitely have to pick up some silica then! Thanks for all the pro tips Mick! You've been a huge help!

Hey Mick,

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. If growing in Coco and feeding say, every other day, would you still feed at 8 ml per gallon if using Floranova? Or would you cut the feed by a half, a third, a quarter etc. to prevent overfeeding? I am about 4 weeks into my coco grow, and I have been feeding FNG, RapidStart, and CalMag at about 700 ppm & 5.8pH. I've been reading about Lucas Formula. Wondered if I could just transition to the FNB mid-veg (I'd like to veg for another 3-4weeks)? I'm just concerned that the ppm of the 8ml of FNB might might be too high. I burnt the heck out of my first grow, so I'm trying to be more cautious this time around...you know, measure twice, cut once .

Hey Mick,

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. If growing in Coco and feeding say, every other day, would you still feed at 8 ml per gallon if using Floranova? Or would you cut the feed by a half, a third, a quarter etc. to prevent overfeeding? I am about 4 weeks into my coco grow, and I have been feeding FNG, RapidStart, and CalMag at about 700 ppm & 5.8pH. I've been reading about Lucas Formula. Wondered if I could just transition to the FNB mid-veg (I'd like to veg for another 3-4weeks)? I'm just concerned that the ppm of the 8ml of FNB might might be too high. I burnt the heck out of my first grow, so I'm trying to be more cautious this time around...you know, measure twice, cut once .

It shouldn't be a problem to switch to FNB at this point. I feed my plants to 20% run off daily from the day they sprout, and twice a day when I go to 12/12 - daily feeding replenishes the nutes, pulls in fresh oxygen to the roots, and prevents salt build up. I have never owned a ppm meter so I can't comment on that but if you feel that 8ml per gallon is too strong then cut it back some, or feed 8ml and if you notice the tips burning - cut it back some. I start my plants at 1/4 strength for the first two weeks, 1/2 strength for the next two, and full after that until the end. Good luck.

It shouldn't be a problem to switch to FNB at this point. I feed my plants to 20% run off daily from the day they sprout, and twice a day when I go to 12/12 - daily feeding replenishes the nutes, pulls in fresh oxygen to the roots, and prevents salt build up. I have never owned a ppm meter so I can't comment on that but if you feel that 8ml per gallon is too strong then cut it back some, or feed 8ml and if you notice the tips burning - cut it back some. I start my plants at 1/4 strength for the first two weeks, 1/2 strength for the next two, and full after that until the end. Good luck.

So when you switch to 12/12 and feeding 2x a day, each feed is at 8mL/gallon?

Another question about feeding/watering. I don't want to come across as lazy, but feeding twice a day seems super time and energy consuming. Feeding them every other day is laborious enough for me! I have fibromyalgia/hypermobility syndrome, which makes watering these plants of mine quite a task. I have 4 5-Gallon smartpots in a 4x4 tent that I hand water. I just got a 5 gallon pail to hold my water in (which is hellish to lug around for me), because having 3 separate containers to hold all the water I'd need for 1 day was stupid (I'd have to mix and ph 3 times). So there's a lot of lugging of heavy stuff around, reaching, bending, spilling, cleaning etc. I'm far too clumsy to have to go through all these extra steps I've created for myself, and I'm pretty sure there's an easier way/setup. Do you have a method/setup that helps you be as efficient as possible with getting in & out of those watering sessions quickly and...unharmed lol. It's hard for me to imagine doing what I'm doing twice a day! I find my back, neck, shoulders, knees, wrists and fingers are screaming at me by the time I get done with a watering sesh. I know there are other methods like drip feed that may be easier, but I was more so wondering if anyone had some suggestions for hand watering that could make a chronically pained person's life easier.

Yes, I feed full strength after 4 weeks of growth and start feeding twice a day at the flip. Growing in coco and hand-watering is labor intensive. I have no experience with automatic drippers because I prefer the hands on approach, but there are a lot of people that use them with success - maybe you can get advice from one of them. I use hydro halos to gravity feed my plants and it works great - eliminates trying to get in there and bending over. I have a 4x4 tent with 4 plants - the tent has openings in the front and on both sides which allow me access from three sides. I attach one end of 1/2" tubing to the hydro halo and the other end I attach a funnel - I can feed as fast as I can pour and the halo distributes the nutes perfectly around the plant with no pooling. I feed each plant 1 gallon twice a day, and I mix up 4 gallons in 4 separate gallon jugs. I attached a pic for you.

3_weeks10.JPG

Those are great! That alone would make my task much easier I would imagine. Is the tray underneath covering the entirety of your tent?

I started a low dose FNB + CaliMag + RapidStart regiment today, which I will work up to full dose and use for the rest of my grow. I'm using tap water which is between 120-140ppm and 7.6 ph (pHed down to 5.8 after mixing). My plants (2 Red Cherry Berry and 2 Purple Afghan Kush) are doing well in veg...growing much better in the Coco than in my Promix Seedling Starter. The fan leaves are massive on both, but even fatter on the PAK. The RCB could be a bit darker green, but is growing rapidly, and gradually bringing my dosing up to full strength (or whatever strength they're happiest with) should fix that. My Runoff 9.5/10 times is 5.8, and 200 or less the ppm of what I put in. The coco has definitely been a nice change.

Those are great! That alone would make my task much easier I would imagine. Is the tray underneath covering the entirety of your tent?

I started a low dose FNB + CaliMag + RapidStart regiment today, which I will work up to full dose and use for the rest of my grow. I'm using tap water which is between 120-140ppm and 7.6 ph (pHed down to 5.8 after mixing). My plants (2 Red Cherry Berry and 2 Purple Afghan Kush) are doing well in veg...growing much better in the Coco than in my Promix Seedling Starter. The fan leaves are massive on both, but even fatter on the PAK. The RCB could be a bit darker green, but is growing rapidly, and gradually bringing my dosing up to full strength (or whatever strength they're happiest with) should fix that. My Runoff 9.5/10 times is 5.8, and 200 or less the ppm of what I put in. The coco has definitely been a nice change.
My tent is a 4x4 and the tray is a 3x3. The tray is on an elevated incline platform that I built so that all the run off drains into a bucket. Good luck. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom