Potency of the bud

spliffas

Hello everyone!

So I had few seeds from stuff I bought. I am somewhere in the mid - flowering stage and have two plants. I decided to try and smoke some buds for testing purposes and the thing is… it does not work !!!
The buds looks sexy and smells great, they are sticky but has zero effect when smoking ( maybe it works a little, but if it works it’s very mild to zero as after smoking I have to ask myself if it works or no ).
Now my mate had few of these same plants in hos greenhouse and stuff from one of these plants had sexy effects, yet his another plant had 0 potency as mine ( but it had bud rot, lack of sunlight, etc. ).

I am a bit lost and asking myself is it worth keeping those ladies alive for more days as I tested it three weeks in a row and it has same 0 ( or near 0 ) potency and I am risking growing it + spending money on electricity and nutes.

I am thinking of shutting lights off. :/ or should I wait for more as it will produce potency late in the flowering?

Plants looks indica to me, I’ll post some pics later, when lights go on.

And yes, I tried smoking unfinished plants in even earlier days than these girls are and it had noticable effects where I didn’t need to ask myself if it works or not.

And I did smoked it after some thc break, so was expecting something.

What would you do?

Thanks. :/

What do the trichomes look like? When they build, they start off as straight hair like structures, then build the little ball on top. They'll start out clear which is just the empty structure, then turn milky/cloudy white as they fill with the cannabinoids, then turn amber as the cannabinoids begin to degrade.

It's possible yours are just in the building structure stage and haven't started filling them yet. You say you're mid flower so that would make sense.

What do the trichomes look like? When they build, they start off as straight hair like structures, then build the little ball on top. They'll start out clear which is just the empty structure, then turn milky/cloudy white as they fill with the cannabinoids, then turn amber as the cannabinoids begin to degrade.

It's possible yours are just in the building structure stage and haven't started filling them yet. You say you're mid flower so that would make sense.
I’d say mid to late. The pistils started turning brown, buds are quite fat as well. I’ll drop some pictures when lights are on.

I tried smoking smaller buds, I tried smoking tops - same.

I found few pics I did 3 days ago

I do believe it’s about 6 weeks into flowering

IMG_7033.jpeg

IMG_7051.jpeg

IMG_7030.jpeg

You’ve got a lot invested to get this far, even tho you’ve sampled for 3 weeks- it’s still early days. I’d wait for regular harvest time and try another sample. Next I’d cure it out properly and sample some more. Then if it’s still lacking perhaps consider condensing it by making hash or oil.

If the original bud was good then the beans should be at least half decent- but there’s no way I’d scrap a plant in the middle of flower based on a smoke test of immature buds.

Looks pretty frosty, patience my friend- hope it helps!

I was growing AK-47 ( which I found in stuff I bought too ) previously and I was literally able to harvest when my plants looked like these girls I have now, and ohh boy, the stuff was one of the best I’ve ever smoked, my friends was amazed by it too though lol.
Then I grew some other stuff from seeds I found in poor smoke, but the effects / potency was good too.
All of it I tried were smaller than these girls and it doesn’t really matter if it was dried in microwave, oven or naturally. It mostly affects taste.
With these girls I tried also micro - oven and natural but fast drying - still the same.

From my experience drying / curing has only small percentage for potency. If it’s sh*t it’s sh*t, except it is possible to make it a bit tastier.

I was wondering, maybe if it’s indica it needs to go through all the flowering to get that potency?

I mean potency is near 0. Like smoking cigarettes, but I do smoke bongs lol :D

I also tried sampling from both of the plants - same.

Interesting thing was with my mate’s plants when one had all the potency and another - nothing. Smelled both the same, looked kinda same. :/

I was thinking switching lights off or going another MAX 2 weeks if nothing it is really not worth keeping it alive I guess. :/

If I’d be a dealer I’d know what to do, it has good bag appeal and so, but I don’t want to get into selling, I am too old… making hash or edibles would be a solution though…

And also I am attaching photos I took just now.

IMG_7058.jpeg

IMG_7059.jpeg

IMG_7061.jpeg

IMG_7062.jpeg

IMG_7063.jpeg

IMG_7064.jpeg

IMG_7065.jpeg

IMG_7066.jpeg

IMG_7060.jpeg

So I made a decision to keep for another two weeks and then test - smoke it and if it is still the same I’ll cut and work something out if it’s getting better I may keep for more.

I’ll update this thread in two weeks or so, so anyone’s experiencing similar problem will be able to read and decide by themselves as from what I read some people sometimes gets this potency problem.

🤙

…so today I found fully mature seed on the bigger lady and one bannana.

what would be your advice, wait a little more or just cut as it is?

:/

looks like a sign of destiny lol
Definitely wait. Run it, until it's done. Nothing worse than subpar bud. That could have been better if your waited. I look at a seed like a blessing.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

I don’t think that I’ll be growing this one again and now I need to sort out proper seeds for my next grow lol. I am a bit afraid to buy it online as it is not legal in where I live. :/

So I tested again, it works a little, but still - nah. My mate brought me some proper stuff and nothing to compare with what I am growing, sadly. I cut what was left from the smaller girl, here are some pictures. I also started flushing that other one, probably will keep til weekend and harvest it, what do you think?

I ran out of PK booster and I was using cheap bloom nutes I paid maybe 3€. This was the grow where I tried to finish my nutes, etc., I honestly wasn’t expecting BOMB stuff from this grow, but definetely not what I am having. Daamn.

Tastes good, smells good, but it doesn’t get into the head, body buzz a little and calming ( but not sedative ), but overall I dunno what I’m gonna do with the smoke.
Moodless smoke in my words. :/

And she keeps growing nannies and new pistils bursted.

Or maybe try and go another week?

IMG_7128.jpeg

IMG_7129.jpeg

IMG_7130.jpeg

IMG_7131.jpeg

IMG_7132.jpeg

IMG_7133.jpeg

IMG_7134.jpeg

IMG_7135.jpeg

IMG_7136.jpeg

It's hard to tell what you have until it's properly cured. Did you ever get a good look at the trichomes before you harvested? Just curious
Only with my naked eye lol. 😁

I’ll try to get some zooming tools tomorrow and test that pther girl, but I am pretty sure most of the trichs will be cloudy, some of it clear and maybe few amberish.

I am not expecting much from it after the smoke my bud gave me few days ago.

It is sad situation for me this time lol.

And what AK47 seeds I had… only a memory now lol. 😂🥲

Only with my naked eye lol. 😁

I’ll try to get some zooming tools tomorrow and test that pther girl, but I am pretty sure most of the trichs will be cloudy, some of it clear and maybe few amberish.

I am not expecting much from it after the smoke my bud gave me few days ago.

It is sad situation for me this time lol.

And what AK47 seeds I had… only a memory now lol. 😂🥲
It will be ok. Live and learn

And 3-4 months from now when you forget about that smoke you'll whip out a jar and it might Surprise ya. Definitely gonna be more head high with cloudy trichs. Which it's nice to have a variety! Keep your head up!

Still a lot of white pistils. I don't even start checking trichs until the pistils have all darkened and crinkled inward. She's not done yet imo.
You can spot with a naked eye when it’s clear / cloudy and I can see some amberish ones. It’s not 100% accurate, you see, I started seeing no point in keeping for more as it is risk + expenses and like I mentioned previously I smoked way younger plants with a lot better high than this which is near an end. That’s the case. :/
Even if you do everything right, looks like sometimes it happens. May be seeds, may be the strain.
And that strange thing with my mate’s plants when one was (y) and another same age didn’t worked at all.

Thanks everyone for support, I will update when I’ll look at trichs and let you know my decision about the harvest time.

👌

So I had few seeds from stuff I bought. I am somewhere in the mid - flowering stage and have two plants. I decided to try and smoke some buds for testing purposes and the thing is… it does not work !!!
I was wondering, maybe if it’s indica it needs to go through all the flowering to get that potency?
What would you do?
I suggest leaving the testing for several more weeks or until the plant is much closer to being finished. The trichome stalks have started but I do not see the bulbs on the ends so more time needed for that part of the trichome to develop.

The big thing I see is the unusual yellowing on the plants. On the buds at the top of the plant many of the sugar leaves and the 1 and 3 fingered fan leaves that have grown out of the buds are also yellowing. Yet, the leaves and the buds from further down below are still mostly green. This is a bit out of the ordinary since we often see yellowing starting on the largest of the lower leaves and moving up while the sugar leaves and fan leaves coming out of the buds tend to be the last ones to turn yellow.

Looking at the photos the buds that are lower on the plant do not have as much yellow as those up at the very top. So a question would be whether you took the sample buds from the bottom of the plants where they are still mostly green? Or did the samples come from the top where all the yellow is? The buds from the bottom would be even further from being ready than the ones at the top.

From what I have read here many growers seem to feel that strains that have a heavy Sativa influence tend to take longer than Indica plants. Something like only 8 to 10 weeks for Indica and 11 and more for Sativa.

I suggest leaving the testing for several more weeks or until the plant is much closer to being finished. The trichome stalks have started but I do not see the bulbs on the ends so more time needed for that part of the trichome to develop.

The big thing I see is the unusual yellowing on the plants. On the buds at the top of the plant many of the sugar leaves and the 1 and 3 fingered fan leaves that have grown out of the buds are also yellowing. Yet, the leaves and the buds from further down below are still mostly green. This is a bit out of the ordinary since we often see yellowing starting on the largest of the lower leaves and moving up while the sugar leaves and fan leaves coming out of the buds tend to be the last ones to turn yellow.

Looking at the photos the buds that are lower on the plant do not have as much yellow as those up at the very top. So a question would be whether you took the sample buds from the bottom of the plants where they are still mostly green? Or did the samples come from the top where all the yellow is? The buds from the bottom would be even further from being ready than the ones at the top.

From what I have read here many growers seem to feel that strains that have a heavy Sativa influence tend to take longer than Indica plants. Something like only 8 to 10 weeks for Indica and 11 and more for Sativa.
I tried different spots of the plant - lower and tops - same results.

This yellowing I get sometimes in my grows, I just don’t overthink too much about it and do what I was doing til harvest day comes. I had similar issue with my AK47 I grew previously and it only affected the look of the final product.

I am doing only water now, no nutes. I never flush my plants in the middle of the grow, and pots weren’t cleaned for maybe two grows ( I mean washed, this may be the issue ? )

I also brought zooming lense from mu grandma, but it didn’t zoom enough lol, so ordered one from aliexpress, but they probably will be cut by the time I receive lol.

Today I thought, maybe 10/14 for one more week?

P.S i thought that nannies and that one fully mature seed indicates the end of the flowering too though?

Back
Top Bottom