Potiential mold and preventitive measures

xwwx

Hello all, so I recently started my first real grow. Im currently having issues with a light I ordered, so I have been growing them inside my apartment in direct sunlight through my windows and then switching to a few cfls for a couple extra hours at night to keep them on a 18/6 schedule. Im growing 6 plants all together, all autoflowers. Im using a soil mixture, sunland organic mixed with pearlite, about 1/3rd pearlite and about 2/3s soil. I have a 400 watt hps sun system 2 coming shortly, just waiting for a replacement bulb. Im about 20 days into the grow. I water about every 3-4 days, depending on how dry the soil feels and how heavy the pots feel. The soil, for the most part, stays moist and could most likely last 5 days before REALLY needing more water. (drainage seems perfectly fine however, soil feels airy even a few inchs down. Water also drains very fast on the initial watering, with 1/3rd or so draining within first minute.)

So far, my plants have looked very healthy and are growing at a great rate. Tonight however, my girlfriend pointed out that on the 3 smaller ones (Planted 3 days after first 3) had a circular layer of white fluffy stuff that could either have been mold or spider webs. (We have a ton of spiders and get them often on other houseplants). It seemed more likely to be mold to me, and so I inspected each plant and didnt seem to see any on the actual plants. They are around 3-4 inchs tall, with about 3-4 branch nodes, and Im thinking that they should be fine since I dont think mold got on them and its not like they have buds for it to hide in right now. However, I want to take steps to protect my garden and find out what you all think I should do. If I forgot some important information please let me know!

Oh yeah, also found some gnat looking bugs. Ive had them on other houseplants, and it didnt appear to cause damage, but one did get sick and die eventually. Not sure if it was even related. The bugs are grey, very small, and im pretty convinced are gnats. Any worry about these guys, and if so, what should I do to get rid of them without hurting my girls?

I know im asking a lot, and kind of typed a wall of txt, but im having a serious case of first grower symptom!

If it was powdered mildew it is a systemic disease which once it starts it imbeds its roots into leaf and spreads into the plants circulatory system and will reappear your best bet would be to get a good fungicide and treat your plants with it , if the mold reappears after treating with a fungicidal soap you may have to get a sulphur burner and if that doest get rid of it you should kill the plants and treat the entire closet as the spores will survive for a long time.

Hey thanks for the great advice! The good news, is it turns out it was just spider webs. Im actually kinda upset at myself, as if I knew that was the case I woulda let them be. Might have actually helped the gnat problem I'm also having, but for that I read its best to grab some fly tape and some gnatrol.

Thanks again for the great advice!:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom