Km021

Hey guys, im in 2nd week of flowering in organic soil, I am feeding my plants 700ppm and my runoff is coming out at 180 ppm. Is this normal?

Does that mean that they are eating everything I am feeding them? I always water till the soil is pretty dry by Using soil moisture meter.
I always soaked the soil with RO water with no runoff n leave it for 30 mins, till the nutrients become fully available, then fed my plant.
Im confused. @Emilya

The ppm of your runoff in soil is meaningless. It is soil. In that runoff is microparticles of all sorts of stuff in it, and it is constantly breaking down and creating more, not just nutes. This is the first reason your PPM reading is meaningless in soil, while it would be perfectly valid in a coco (soiless/hydro) grow. Secondly, only hydro folks measure their nutrients in PPM, so most soil folks don't have a clue what you are talking about and that 700 ppm is a fairly moderate nutrient load. Are you a hydro person that has moved to soil for the first time, or are you being mentored in your soil grow by a hydro person?

So soil, by design and by definition, is rated by its CEC or cation exchange capacity. Soil captures nutes, so as to have them on standby for the roots and the microbes to use. The plant is not immediately eating all that you give, it is being absorbed (captured) by the soil and your measurement of PPM of your runoff again means nothing, for a second reason.

Your watering method is pretty strange too and I am trying to figure out why you are doing what you are... partially watering with only water and then coming in with nutrients that are "fully available" (what does that mean?) Now I am confused. Please explain the logic behind what you are doing so I can understand. It seems to be working for you, but I think you are making this a lot harder than it needs to be... it is soil. Relax.

The ppm of your runoff in soil is meaningless. It is soil. In that runoff is microparticles of all sorts of stuff in it, and it is constantly breaking down and creating more, not just nutes. This is the first reason your PPM reading is meaningless in soil, while it would be perfectly valid in a coco (soiless/hydro) grow. Secondly, only hydro folks measure their nutrients in PPM, so most soil folks don't have a clue what you are talking about and that 700 ppm is a fairly moderate nutrient load. Are you a hydro person that has moved to soil for the first time, or are you being mentored in your soil grow by a hydro person?

So soil, by design and by definition, is rated by its CEC or cation exchange capacity. Soil captures nutes, so as to have them on standby for the roots and the microbes to use. The plant is not immediately eating all that you give, it is being absorbed (captured) by the soil and your measurement of PPM of your runoff again means nothing, for a second reason.

Your watering method is pretty strange too and I am trying to figure out why you are doing what you are... partially watering with only water and then coming in with nutrients that are "fully available" (what does that mean?) Now I am confused. Please explain the logic behind what you are doing so I can understand. It seems to be working for you, but I think you are making this a lot harder than it needs to be... it is soil. Relax.
Tnx for replying, yeah you are right im makin this hard, n i will switch to the coco for next grow coz im not happy with soil it’s completely out of control @Emilya thanks for sharing your knowledge, but there is a question: the soil company says that nutrients are available in soil till 4th week n i need to feed it nutes From 5th week, and i always watring —> one time nutes/one time only water as you said to check the roots if they are taking up the nutes. When i add water n measure the ppm Immediately the ppm shows low but when i wait for it(soak it) after 30 mins the ppm rises to 900. Actually two weeks ago i had some issues like slow growth n some acidic ph symptoms with my plant so i measured the run off ppm was too high n ph was acidic around 5.4 n realized that nutes are not taking by roots then I flushed it, ppm was 1000 ppm before flush n I decrease it 300 ppm, and adjust the ph n increased to 6.4 coz the plant was too small for 1000 ppm, n leave it for few days to dry n prevent overwatering, after that i feed the plant start to grow n symptoms are gone. I dont knw if i did it right o wrong?! I hate organics BTW :) i think coco is best option for me to have a control on my plant.

Back
Top Bottom