Probably dumb question about curing

User43

Is the stem needed for curing?

Would it pull more goodies out of the stem during the cure process?

I got in the zone and just started removing every bit of stem i could get my scissors on and now i kind of regret it.

It can be included if you need to keep the humidity higher (as in dried too much too fast). The stems retain a bit of moisture which can be released back into the buds during the cure.

***based mainly upon my reading and limited experience ***

It can be included if you need to keep the humidity higher (as in dried too much too fast). The stems retain a bit of moisture which can be released back into the buds during the cure.

***based mainly upon my reading and limited experience ***

I think I will keep them in the future, so it is good to know they keep extra moisture.
Was a lot of extra work but I figured it would speed up the grinding process later lol.

I leave them on stems for as long as possible doing low & slow in fridge but clip them at time of final jarring.
What do you mean by final jarring? Does that just mean when the burping is done?
Sounds similar to what I do. Stems stay on during the drying. Then take them from the paper bag and the buds and most or all of the stems stay on for the first month or so of the cure in the canning jar. After that I will remove most of the stems which take up a lot of the space in the jar. Removing most of the stems allows the buds to fit into smaller jars where they can continue to stay in a cured stage.

I do like to keep the top bud at the end on the stick. Makes it easier to handle and people seem to like having a holder while looking at or smelling the bud.

If you don't have access to a fridge for the method above (which is one I'd highly recommend!), there's a link in my signature with a good read on curing that doesn't require a fridge.

Hey 43,

Apologies delayed reply. After you are done with low and slow or any drying method you need to store your bud air tight. Most growers go for pint or quart glass mason jars not plastic bags or Tupperware but for bulk growers it would take a lot of quart jars plus time to open and burp each jar, so the bulk producer may use turkey roasting bags or 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids. But yes burping is releasing the old stale air in the jar as the weed undergoes it chemical process of converting sugars or starch or some shit whatevs... So some peeps put bud in jars with stems still attached others may snip buds from stems for jarring, kinda depends on shape of plant and your skill or technique. Stems retain moisture so that can be good or bad but you gotta monitor the rh in your jars.

Yes spend the $10 or $15 bucks now, get some mini hygrometers (online or local grow shop) to put in your jars so you can see temp & rh without opening the jar every time. Very cheap solution and gives ability to properly monitor your harvest

Yes spend the $10 or $15 bucks now, get some mini hygrometers (online or local grow shop) to put in your jars so you can see temp & rh without opening the jar every time. Very cheap solution and gives ability to properly monitor your harvest

I do have the hygrometer's and so far they have always been 65% RH, because im using 65% boveda packs.
But today for the first time, one of three jars had a 67% reading when i burped. I figured it wasnt worth worrying
about unless its too high tomorrow as well.

Could there be a potential problem in that jar? I did buy the cheap hygrometer which im regretting now.

I bought a 12 pack of the cheapies and placed all of them on the table for an hour, two of them gave funky readings while the other 10 all showed same readings. So yes a couple may be off.

Double down and put 2 hygrometers in that same jar that’s reading 67. See if they sync up or show 2 different readings. Maybe then if it’s needed you could air the bud out by leaving the lid off...

I bought a 12 pack of the cheapies and placed all of them on the table for an hour, two of them gave funky readings while the other 10 all showed same readings. So yes a couple may be off.

Double down and put 2 hygrometers in that same jar that’s reading 67. See if they sync up or show 2 different readings. Maybe then if it’s needed you could air the bud out by leaving the lid off...
If you want to be accurate, you should place them in a freezer bag with wet salt for 24 hrs.......that will tell you how far off they are.
They should say 75%.......if not, adjust accordingly.

Bluter has a real nice analog version for jars. I’ve got these cheapie digital from the Zon, they run on watch batteries... so yeah. But thanks for the salt baggie synchronization tip, are those frigging little things adjustable? If so color me impressed - I figured they were pump and dump!

Is that freezer bag test at room temp or in the freezer - just for clarity? I know it’s just for the rh not the temp

thanks man!

Bluter has a real nice analog version for jars. I’ve got these cheapie digital from the Zon, they run on watch batteries... so yeah. But thanks for the salt baggie synchronization tip, are those frigging little things adjustable? If so color me impressed - I figured they were pump and dump!

Is that freezer bag test at room temp or in the freezer - just for clarity? I know it’s just for the rh not the temp

thanks man!
The small cheap ones aren't adjustable. I just put 5 in a bag with a plastic bottle cap filled with wet salt for 24 hours. If they read 73% I mark them +2 so I know to add 2 to what it reads.......vice versa if the reading is over 75%.

Room temperature.

Back
Top Bottom