Problem with Chocolate Chip Cookies - aka is a thin cookie less potent?

arbakes

Hey, I made chocolate chip cookies today and my brother says they didn't work. I'm not sure if he ate them on a full stomach or not, but he says that his friends say they were too thin. Does the actual thinness vs. weight make a difference?

Here's what I did:
I made 2 cups of ghee/clarified butter (1 lbs, 4 sticks) and let it simmer with 4 cups of water and about 2oz/56g of "xxx beasters" herb (my brother helped me get it and he's in high school, don't hate) in a crock pot (on low, lid on, stirring occasionally) for about 5 hours I think? It might have only been 4. Then of course I separated the ghee from the water by letting it set up in the refrigerator.

The actual cookie recipe is as follows:
5 cups flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups ghee
1 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
4 eggs
4 cups chocolate chips

I made 56 cookies all together, with the assumption that each one would have about 1g of bud in them. I baked them two ways: traditional on cookie pans and in muffin tins. Each style baked at 325 degrees with the ones on the pans baking for 12 minutes and the ones in the muffin tins baking for 24. The ones on the cookie pans spread super thin (which is dangerous, that's my dad's favorite style) and my brother (who ate one 2+ hours ago) says that that's the problem. I haven't tried a thick one yet, but I will update once I do.

Thin vs thick shouldn't matter. My wifes cookies vary depending on how much shortening she uses - all butter cookies are flatter than those with a little shortening substituted in for the butter. Makes them "puff" up.

Just my observations in trying my own cookies, trying others recipes, and knowing what my wife does to make hers "different".

Regardless...they all produce the desired effect...just a slightly different taste to the delivery method.

YMMV.... :peace:

I've been experimenting with cookie recipes for 6 months and some batches seem to be more successful than others - I'm still not sure why. I'm a bit concerned about the temperature reached when cooking and think that may have something to do with it. A thinner cookie maybe gets too hot?

Let me google that for you (TM)... :)

At 21°C (70°F) the most volatile terpenoids start to evaporate, lending a pungent odor to the air.

At 31°C (87°F) the less volatile terpenoids start to evaporate, lending the air even more pungent odors.

At 39°C (102°F ) virtually all of the terpenoids undergo evaporation fairly rapidly.

At 50°C (122°F) THC-Acid decarboxylates as the water molecule held in the carbonate form evaporates. This activates the THC.

At 66°C (150°F) Cannabidiol (CBD) melts and starts to evaporate.

At 185°C (365°F) Cannibinol (CBN) boils.

At 200°C (392°F) THC boils. Clear vapor from a vaporizer.

This is not for butter dissolved, but it might start the wheels spinning into your cooking experiments. You should keep all the recipes you've tried, wrote down, and you and other 'beta test' and not the best results. :)

Goood luck!

Vaporization is Boiling, Evaporation, and sublimation. The table I listed above were for evaporation.

Ice sublimates directly into vapor by very dry warm air.

I don't believe any cannabanoids nor turpines will spontaneously vaporize through sublimation, otherwise dry-ice curing (freeze drying) would be totally worthless to pot, or just about anything else with flavenoids. Evaporation thou of aromatics/turpines starts at a very low temperature as I stated above.

At 21°C (70°F) the most volatile terpenoids start to evaporate, lending a pungent odor to the air. <--- Isn't that what I said the first time?

:)

:) I don't spread FUD, just the facts.

Any day I haven't learned something new, is a day wasted.

Now one thing to point out to the gent above, too much oxidation will cause any THC/CBD to change into other, non-enlightening forms. Also, you could have simply overcooked the ghee. Easy way to tell, is sample the butter out of the fridge.

Be careful thou, several years ago, a friend of mine ate approximately a half-quarter's worth of butter in one sitting, on an empty stomach. He was hallucinating an hour later and was uncomfortably high.. he won't touch edibles since.

Back
Top Bottom