Problems growing in Northern Caribbean

Cale971

Hello,

This is my first post on the website. :) Seeing the expertise of most people on this forum, it is definitely the best place to ask these technical question.

I've been trying to grow strictly outdoor in the north eastern Caribbean for the last 6 month and so far, nearly all my plants stopped growing after 1 week... they eventually die off. I have tried many experiences with different strands and so far the only ones I managed to cultivate is an AK-47 (but midget size) and a beautiful blue cheese. Every other strand, even thou it says they are made for hot climate, never past the 2 week mark.

Basically what happens after 5 days, they just stop growing and the stem shrinks at the base, it just thins out like it there is a lack of water... which I know it is definitely not the case.
I've always though maybe it was from over watering, but I'm pretty good at just keeping the soil moist. They look super healthy until the steam starts thinning out. What is that from?
I have done numerous researches with no answers.
As of now, I'm guessing the root structure is not evolving so I bought VooDoo Juice.
Did a test with it while germinating the seeds in water mixed with Voodoo Juice and it is insane how fast all the seeds opened up within 8 hours. Except that out of the 3 seeds, 1 died after 3 days, the second one is thinning out at the base again! and the 3rd one seams to have stopped growing.... again

Can someone please help???

pH or damping off, a fungus disease. What sort of soil are you using? In pots or directly in the ground? Pics would help.

What I meant by Ph is ... what is the ph of the fluids that you use to water and feed the girls. I suspect that the ph of the medium is off. You should ph water and nutes to a range of somewhere between 5.8 to 6.2 ....

~ Auggie ~

Thank you for your help!

You may be right Auggie, I never really check the ph in the water. I would usually give them nute after 2 weeks, but not when they are babies.
The soil is super super rich with clay ball to air out the soil. The soil is mixed with local dirt too and germinating soil.
I have a shot to share of my babies but can't figure out how to upload the photos... :(

Thank you for your help!

You may be right Auggie, I never really check the ph in the water. I would usually give them nute after 2 weeks, but not when they are babies.
The soil is super super rich with clay ball to air out the soil. The soil is mixed with local dirt too and germinating soil.
I have a shot to share of my babies but can't figure out how to upload the photos... :(

Bullseye! It's damping off, or burning from excess nitrogen. Seeds should be started in good quality potting soil only, if you're starting them in pots. Not "super super rich" soil, and absolutely not in local dirt, unless you are starting them directly in the ground. Good soil acts as a natural buffer to the pH of water, unless it's wildly alkaline or acid. If you can drink it, it's fine. No nutes should be given at this stage at all.
Try again, and you'll do fine.

Perfect! Will do that SparkNShred. :)
If it doesn't work, I'll come back to this thread.
Thanks a lot! Crossing my fingers that it will work.
Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom