Problems with pineapple chunk dwc

AZ007

Sup guys, so im heading towards week 7 here of flower, and for the past 3 weeks this burn has been taking over my leafs, slowly spreading, mostly on the top of the canopy. My temps are anywhere from 72F to 82F, at hottest hours of the day, water temp 70-72f, using aqua canna, a pretty mild solution, ppm750-800, ph usually around 5.8, hasnt really gone up above 5.9 since i switched to flower, so im beginning to think that i might be locking out nutrients, probably MG def, so i thought i might wanna try to leave my ph a bit higher, adjust it to maybe 6.0-6.1 for the remaining of flower. What do you guys think? Any help is appreciated.

12541.JPG
21692.JPG
31506.JPG
41163.JPG

What are your water temps? Also, can you post a pic of your roots? DWC requires stable and cold reservoir temperatures. Ideally your temps at root level should be around 65 degrees F and well oxygenated.

Check the inside of your reservoir or bucket for anything slimy or brown. If your roots are looking brown and clumpy, you may be dealing with some type of root borne illness. If this is the case, adjusting PH probably won't do a thing. My first DWC didn't produce healthy roots (and subsequently unhealthy plants) due to high res temps. On the bright side, Pineapple Chunk should mature in about 8 weeks of flower, so you may be able to just ride this out and hope for the best.

water temp is around 70F, tops 72F, but thats not the problem as the roots are very healthy, and enormous

Wow what a massive healthy looking root mass!

I've just finished a pineapple chunk grow along with 3 other strains in the same grow. It was a flood and drain system with coco and clay balls

The pineapple chunk I found to be very sensitive and didn't like nutrients to over quarter strength.

Your roots look very healthy. From my experience I'd be checking your nutrient strength.

A pain in the arse to grow but the finished product AFTER 10 WEEKS FLOWER!!! was very good quality but very small compact buds.

Good luck mate!

AWESOME looking roots!!! It looks like your res temps are doing just fine to me and your bucket looks nice and clean. Very well done! I missed the part of your original post where you clearly stated your res temps, my mistake.

I remember getting some wilted looking leaf tips on my pineapple chunk, but I wrote that off to my high res temps. My root health was on the opposite end of the spectrum from yours. As far as a solution, I'm afraid that's the extent of my experience here. However I can tell you that even with some ugly leaf tips, my buds from the Pineapple Chunk still came out great.

Wow what a massive healthy looking root mass!

I've just finished a pineapple chunk grow along with 3 other strains in the same grow. It was a flood and drain system with coco and clay balls

The pineapple chunk I found to be very sensitive and didn't like nutrients to over quarter strength.

Your roots look very healthy. From my experience I'd be checking your nutrient strength.

A pain in the arse to grow but the finished product AFTER 10 WEEKS FLOWER!!! was very good quality but very small compact buds.

Good luck mate!

You know what, u may just be right about this, if you say from experience you found the strain to be sensitive to nutes, it crossed my mind before that nute burn mightve been the case, but i didnt think so since my solution is pretty mild, usually sits at 700-750. Next res change which will be in about 3 days i will use only half strength nutes, and see if it will stop spreading. Aside from that youre right too about the buds bein small and dense, i thought pineapple chunk would have bigger buds, i guess not, but the density the frostiness and the smell r all there so is looking good

That's fantastic mate!

There's nothing that gets me going more than seeing those sweet buds covered in frosty trichomes.
And that sweet smell!!

I'm learning more and more each grow and my newest rules to follow is that less nutrient is always better and don't over water.

Another great one I learnt from this site is use a truncheon and check ppm when new solution is made. Record this reading and then the next day check your reading again.
If ppm has gone down then the plant is using nutrient.
If ppm has gone up then the solution is too strong and the plant isn't uptaking nutrient.

Enjoy the chunk.

This is my Pineapple chunk mother plant that I've just put outside after taking cuttings a few weeks back.
I wonder how its going flower through this cold winter I'm in now.

Its going to be a big plant :thumb:

IMG_36153.JPG

@hawk, Very nice mother plant mate
@marz, i guess i will try half strength nutrients next water change

Now you guys that have already grew this plant, how is it yield wise?

Yea the one im growing vegged and flowered pretty slow, stayed short and compact, lot of bud sights everywhere tho from LST, i must have about 30 or more tops, so i hope i get a decent yield. Also poped a seed in soil, just for the hell of it, and i tell you what, it smells wayyy better, smells so good, but on the other hand dwc is like 3 times or more the size lol

I'm very interested in dwc and have starting buying all the pieces, could u please give advice on nutrients cause there r so many to choose from and the more I look the more I realize many of the popular ones Aren't for aeroponics such as fox farms :(

Don't worry if they aren't for Aeroponics. DWC is a true hydroponics technique as opposed to aeroponics. Aeroponics is suspending your roots in air vs water and usually involves misting them with h2o & nutes.

This is a recipe that I copied from a dude named SuperStoner on another forum (that I believe has since been shut down). This recipe uses the botanicare line and was designed for aeroponics, but I have successfully used it for DWC at lower PPM without issue.

SuperStoner's Botanicare recipe:

veg:
175ml pure pro grow
70ml karma
60ml cal mag
premix in milk jug and add first to water.

then add:
50ml silica blast
100 ml of aquashield
2 tsp of great white

then adjust ph to 5.8.

the night before moving to flower i drain res and add fresh water with 150ml clearex and run for 24 hrs.

week 1 and 2 flower:

125ml pro grow
125ml pro bloom
80ml karma
60ml cal mag
80ml sweet
premix in milk jug and add to res

then add 50ml silica blast, 2 tsp great white, and 100 ml aquashield

then adjust ph to 5.8

empty and then do the clearex flush for 24hrs before new nutes.

weeks 3-5:
250ml pro bloom
100ml karma
70ml calmag
100ml sweet
premix and add to res.

then add 100ml silica blast and 100ml aquashield and 2tsp of greatwhite
at the beginning of week 4 add 50 ml of hydroplex and 50ml more at beginning of week 5. when using bloom boosters dont be surprised if it takes a lot more ph down to adjust.

at the end of week 5 empty and do the clearex flush.

week 6-harvest(most of mine finish in 53-60 days):
250ml pbp for soil
100ml karma
100ml sweet
70ml calmag

then 100 ml silica blast, 100ml aquashield, and 150ml of hydroplex and no greatwhite.

ph is always 5.7-5.9, under or over gets adjusted. if ph is always corrected and you have a problem you save 3-4 days by already knowing it is not ph related.

Thank u so much, is there an ideal range for water/ solution temperature

As I mentioned earlier, DWC requires very stable reservoir temps. 65 deg F is ideal, but as OP has shown 70ish deg F seems to work very well. High res temps will lead to root rot, algae, and/or root borne illness. DWC usually requires a chiller to keep res temps stable.

One more thing should I just let the moisture wick in for clones and top feed? How far should the solution be from clones and how far for veg?

Cloning should be done with an aeroponics setup. A 5 gal bucket, pump, a little PVC, and some misters works wonders. Clonex solution is good as well. Check out this thread:
5 gallon bucket cheap cloner DIY

I think most people use plain water (no nutes) for cloning. Once you get them into veg, start around 500-750 PPM and work your way up until you learn what your plants like.

SuperStoner said he ran that solution up to 3000 PPM in bloom with aeroponics without burning his plants. Personally, I'd be nervous going over 2000 PPM in DWC.

Others here probably have more experience with this....

Back
Top Bottom