Pruning and budding sites

well i also wanna cut branches.... i wanna do something like mainlining, is it possible to spot the exact spot where the bud will form in veg?
Cut it and/or train it while in veg - whatever is left will create as many bud sites as it is able to do. The best buds are typically the top part of the branch, because of course they get the lions share of light. Each spot where leaves grow (in most, but maybe not all plants) out of is called a 'node' and the flowers usually start in/near the nodes and spread out over the branch as it grows to eventually be what looks like (but is not) one really big flower.

Cut it and/or train it while in veg - whatever is left will create as many bud sites as it is able to do. The best buds are typically the top part of the branch, because of course they get the lions share of light. Each spot where leaves grow (in most, but maybe not all plants) out of is called a 'node' and the flowers usually start in/near the nodes and spread out over the branch as it grows to eventually be what looks like (but is not) one really big flower.
so even if i cut the leaves, the buds will still be able to form there? or do i need to leave the leaves?

i wanna start pruning my weed, can anyone teach me how to spot budding sites in veg? so can tell where i can prune without removing the budding site?
is it possible to spot the exact spot where the bud will form in veg?
Yes it is. As @Sueet mentions the buds will form at the nodes. When the flowering time comes the best flowering sites will be the nodes near the outside edges of the leaf canopy.

My recommendation is to look at photos of Cannabis plants where the young buds are starting to form. That will give you an idea of what and where to look. Also do a google search using the key words:
marijuana plant nodes
and there will be plenty of photos and diagrams showing where the node sites are.

Keep in mind that while in the vegetating stage the node sites are used by the plant to form one new leaf and then it will grow out a stem which will have its own node sites with leaves and eventually grow new stems.

When the plant goes into the flowering stage it will start to grow the buds at the node sites. The plant stops growing new leaves except for the sugar leaves with a few small fan leaves.I tend to consider the buds to be a modified stem.

More than one new grower has gone overboard with removing excess grow sites at the nodes. When the plant started flowering they would post a photo of their plant with maybe 5% of the potential bud sites remaining and they wanted to know what happened. And we had to mention it looked like overdoing the leaf removal and trimming.

If you are new to growing plants and especially a Cannabis plant then the best thing is to do as little trimming of leaves and stems as necessary. Let the plant grow on its own so you can watch what it does, what it grows and eventually where it grows the buds.

How about a photo of your plant so we can have an idea of what you are looking at.

Buds will grow at every single point a leaf grows from. If you see a leaf a bud will grow at its base, where the petiole connects to the stem. Buds will also grow from the tip of every branch.

Like Smoke said, no need to go overboard especially if you’re new. The pruning and all of that is helpful but it won’t make or break your grow if you let the plants just grow naturally. You’ll see claims of huge yields because of pruning and defol.. This is highly dependent on your setup and situation. It’s not the pruning that increases yields it’s the exposure to light.

Buds will grow at every single point a leaf grows from. If you see a leaf a bud will grow at its base, where the petiole connects to the stem. Buds will also grow from the tip of every branch.

Like Smoke said, no need to go overboard especially if you’re new. The pruning and all of that is helpful but it won’t make or break your grow if you let the plants just grow naturally. You’ll see claims of huge yields because of pruning and defol.. This is highly dependent on your setup and situation. It’s not the pruning that increases yields it’s the exposure to light.
i'm doing a lot of pruning because it's easier to manage the plant, easier to handle spider mites, and less popcorn buds....

so just to confirm, even if i remove the leaves at the nodes, buds will still grow at that node, even if i removed the leaves?

i'm doing a lot of pruning because it's easier to manage the plant, easier to handle spider mites, and less popcorn buds....

so just to confirm, even if i remove the leaves at the nodes, buds will still grow at that node, even if i removed the leaves?

Yes and no. A bud will grow without a leaf present at its location. However there comes a point where you take too many leaves and the plant can no longer properly photosynthesize and you will take drastic hits to your yield and quality. So yes, a bud will grow without its parent leaf, as long as there other enough other leaves to finish the job.

Yes, No and Maybe.

Each node will produce 1 leaf which will usually have 3, 5, or 7 fingers. Cutting that leaf does not necessarily stop the node from doing its thing.

Find some on your plants. Look at where the petiole comes out of the node. There will be either nothing else there or there will be a new stem if that node is old enough. Or, there will be just the start of the stem. Eventually the new stem will grow and develop its own nodes with leaves and new stems.

Just cutting off the leaf will not stop the new branch from growing, but cutting off that branch at the right time will prevent that site from developing a bud or another stem/branch.

A photo of your plant would really help. We can point out examples of what we are mentioning on the same plant that you are planning of training for bud production.

A photo of your plant would really help. We can point out examples of what we are mentioning on the same plant that you are planning of training for bud production.

This. While there are standards and dependencies, every plant is different. Heck, you can grow the same strain 5 times and get 5 different experiences in growth and production (phenotypes). It’s a lot easier to give specific advice for specific plants.

I would give different pruning advice depending on the environment, strain, phenotype, etc.

Back
Top Bottom