Pruning effects on yield?

What are your thoughts on if I'm putting bud booster and plant food into the water for them therefore the plant wouldn't need the stored nuteients from the fan leaf and would render it useless?? I haven't a clue how a plant gathers and sends its neutrients to be honest

I'm not the guy to answer this as this is my first grow and I'm groping around for answers myself. I am also giving bud booster and silica (for increased stem strength) as this was suggested by my local hydro shop.

My gut feeling is that if a plant doesn't need a leaf it will drop it sooner or later. So, even with the bud booster I do see a few yellowing leaves, which indicates (at least to me) that all is well. Also, I am not trying to extract every last molecule of CBD/THC from these plants. Three commercial growers all gave me the same advice: keep it simple.

Photosynthesis happens in leaves thats how the plant makes energy and uses the nutrients that are supplied.
Thats the simple answer to defol or not i cant answer :hmmmm:

Photosynthesis happens in leaves thats how the plant makes energy and uses the nutrients that are supplied.
Thats the simple answer to defol or not i cant answer :hmmmm:
So the popular theory that doing something like removing all fan leaves or I've heard bending the stock to the edge of the breaking point will "shock" the plant and it will then send all its neutrients to its extremities in this case the buds and make them swell to a much larger size is probably not really all that true?? Because Im gathering that it's more likely to "stress" the plant and stunt its growth than "shock" the plant an make it swell

So the popular theory that doing something like removing all fan leaves or I've heard bending the stock to the edge of the breaking point will "shock" the plant and it will then send all its neutrients to its extremities in this case the buds and make them swell to a much larger size is probably not really all that true?? Because Im gathering that it's more likely to "stress" the plant and stunt its growth than "shock" the plant an make it swell

@No Pain posted on the last page. he made a great point of the leaves being a buffer for drying out at the end. meaning that without the leaves you can end up with smaller leaves dying and curling back into the bud. i noticed this on my plant that i tried it on, and i didn't like the look of it at all. there were little dead dry specs throughout the bud because some of the sugar leaves took the brunt of it.

Sadly you can't pick off a cannabis flower early and expect it to ripen.

Actually you can? Aint Curing what is doing riping? I read somewhere that in glass jar there are some chemist processes. That change some thc levels to the THC we all like.

Yeah bud but only the growers get to experience "freshies".

You can argue they are not the best. OK Have some freshies :passitleft:

What are your thoughts on if I'm putting bud booster and plant food into the water for them therefore the plant wouldn't need the stored nuteients from the fan leaf and would render it useless?? I haven't a clue how a plant gathers and sends its neutrients to be honest

Plants will use the least path of resistance. They have a few methods to achieve this.

You can foliar
prepare proper soil
use of fertilizer (optional)

The plants when they are making flowers will use the nutrients stored in the fan leaves closest to the flowers. when enough water at the roots they will also use the nutrients that come along with the water. Foliar nutrients will also be adsorbed at the location they come in contact and can be moved around the plant.

We want cannabis to produce flowers.

These plants are efficient at making flowers from the fan leaves energy. They will use what it available.

You can feed your plant, and/or you can let the plant feed itself.

You can help, worms can help... there's a lot of help, the plants know what they are doing.

Plants will use the least path of resistance. They have a few methods to achieve this.

You can foliar
prepare proper soil
use of fertilizer (optional)

The plants when they are making flowers will use the nutrients stored in the fan leaves closest to the flowers. when enough water at the roots they will also use the nutrients that come along with the water. Foliar nutrients will also be adsorbed at the location they come in contact and can be moved around the plant.

We want cannabis to produce flowers.

These plants are efficient at making flowers from the fan leaves energy. They will use what it available.

You can feed your plant, and/or you can let the plant feed itself.

You can help, worms can help... there's a lot of help, the plants know what they are doing.
Awesome thanks for the helpful info, there is WAYYY more to growing a plant than I could have ever imagined lmao appriciate the help from all the members here ✌

Awesome thanks for the helpful info, there is WAYYY more to growing a plant than I could have ever imagined lmao appriciate the help from all the members here ✌
Same here - I've learned an INCREDIBLE amount of knowledge from the members of this site in the few short months \I've been here!

Its a weed. Pretty easy one to grow at that.

I'm with the keep it simple and try and stay outta the way.

I concentrate on the quality of my soil and the rest follows.

There's better results out there. @Norcaliwood knocks the shit outta the park every grow.
He's got a lot of experience.

The more we grow the better farmers we become.

Learn from the good the bad and the bud.

What I try to do.

photographic evidence of defoliation bud swell.

Fan leaves removed early in flower proof defoliation works.

I guess if my tent was dome shaped and my light went a few degrees per hour lime the sun then reset in the dark period to do the same all over again id be pumped

But in a tent the light comes from the same place all the time so if its in the shade it stays in the shade

nice buds!

how many watts are your lights? and holy stretch in the one pic lol. lucky you have lots of head room.
The stretch was a durban tangie cross that was 100% sativa.And my lights are 400 watt digital ballast which also runs 250 watt bulbs .One lamp burnt out last month now down to two lamps.But thats ok sun sun sun right now.

(The following is provided for fodder only, and not an endorsement of any product.)

So I was looking around for some info last night, and found a video grow journal on the linked website below. (I hope it's ok to link to a website that isn't a sponsor, although you can get their products through one of our great sponsors, but this is for information on a grow and not for a product. Just sayin, and trying to play by the rules. ;))

Anyway, while I'm looking through the videos in the page, which combine to cover an entire grow and create a video journal, I noticed something...

They fully defoliated twice. Right before and after the flip. Not advocating for a do or don't on taking the leaves off, but just sharing this as an example of a grow that did.

Link: 4x4 multi-strain grow

So the defol I found interesting. Wasn't looking for that, but when they did it my curiosity was piqued. I was after more info on multi-strain grow management, but guess I got the bonus plan. Anyway, I hadn't seen it referenced in the thread so far and thought I would pass it along to add to the conversation a bit.

I did find it interesting, especially considering the source. The end result was a pretty nice harvest as well, and even got my attention with regards to the harlequin strain. I took a quick look around for some info, and added it to my strain research list (as if it wasn't long as heck to begin with, lol.)

I'm trying my go at early flower stage heavy defoliation. The main focus of the grow is on the 3 OG Kush, sitting in the Kush position under the lighting. Pun intended. All other plants are bagseed, Heavy Sativa genetics, have been under flowering photo period twice as long as the OG'S. They are lucky to still be alive. They get rotated daily, I know they won't yeild what they could in the Kush lighting, as long as they don't take away from the focus, I'll keep and take whatever they give me. Here's a few heavy flower stage defoliation pics. Followed by last collage pic of immediately after trim then 24 hours later. Buds that never saw any light are swelling, in fact more than double in size in only 24 hour period. That 24 hours is 12 dark 12 light, so quite explosive growth in short time. Also, she nor do the others look like it stressed them at all. Only kick started them...

Attachments

• 20190912_003734.jpg
    20190912_003734.jpg
    899.4 KB · Views: 228
  • 20190912_003820.jpg
    20190912_003820.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 224
  • 20190913_200131.jpg
    20190913_200131.jpg
    837 KB · Views: 233
  • 20190913_200434.jpg
    20190913_200434.jpg
    797.5 KB · Views: 227
  • 20190914_012336.jpg
    20190914_012336.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 229
  • 20190914_014859.jpg
    20190914_014859.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 228
I'm trying my go at early flower stage heavy defoliation. The main focus of the grow is on the 3 OG Kush, sitting in the Kush position under the lighting. Pun intended. All other plants are bagseed, Heavy Sativa genetics, have been under flowering photo period twice as long as the OG'S. They are lucky to still be alive. They get rotated daily, I know they won't yeild what they could in the Kush lighting, as long as they don't take away from the focus, I'll keep and take whatever they give me. Here's a few heavy flower stage defoliation pics. Followed by last collage pic of immediately after trim then 24 hours later. Buds that never saw any light are swelling, in fact more than double in size in only 24 hour period. That 24 hours is 12 dark 12 light, so quite explosive growth in short time. Also, she nor do the others look like it stressed them at all. Only kick started them...
4 days since heavy flower stage defoliation and plants look very healthy. Even though so many leaves were taken off they continue require nearly same watering schedule. Trichomes have begun to come in heavier. Plants were turned to flowering photo period on 8/27/19. OG Kush expected flower time 56 days. General date to expect harvest 10/20/19... :) The pic that's a collage, the top 2 pics were taken day of defoliating, bottom 2, 4 days later.

Attachments

• 20190917_021351.jpg
    20190917_021351.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 233
  • 20190917_020538.jpg
    20190917_020538.jpg
    675.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 20190917_020647.jpg
    20190917_020647.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 238
photographic evidence of defoliation bud swell.

One plant doesn't really do it as "evidence".

For yields its about biomass. By removing biomass you cant expect the plant to now produce more biomass had you left it alone. Thats just not how plants grow. You can see in your plant there are a lot of leaves. When you remove the fan leaves the plant will replace them. In your case it's going to be very difficult to trim those leaves out.

Here's some "evidence" that letting the plants grow without taking off fan leaves makes bigger dankier dank buds. This plant is only 40 days in flower of 90+

Please note the flowers are closest to the fans that are turning colors. Reason for turning colors is the plant is making flowers and using the stored nutrients in the fan leaves from Chlorophyll (the green stuff) and the reason for the color change is the green stuff is sugars,

Here's a quick wiki article - please pay particular attention to the section "process":

Abscission - Wikipedia

Should ask yourself how do plants know when the make flowers. Then you may look at fan leaves a little bit differently.

PGRs (plant growth regulators) are part of the plants maturation process and many of them come from the fan leaves.

This is how the plant knows where the sun is and why it grow toward the sun. There are growth hormones in the leaves that go from the leaf to the apical meristem (the main top) and that is where the growth of the plant is organized. There are also PGRs that tell the plant to make flowers, this happens when the amount of light changes over time. It's the fan leaves that trigger the plant to produce flowers with hormones.

This one about to be harvested - these plants are both 7' plus tall. They have all there fan leaves.

Back
Top Bottom