Putting clone in cup of water?

Do you think placing the clone in the cup of water with light nutes will help grow roots faster or should I place it in growing medium?

It works for some other plants like mints and such, not sure if it will do the same for weed. I haven't tried it yet, don't want to waste a clone...

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hey if it works with other plants then it should work with weed. Plants use all the same hormones. I would say try it, take pictures, and tell us how it goes so we can learn from you. (I do know ppl use aeroponics to clone and they have good success with it)

I've seen pictures somewhere on this site of very successful starts that way. I'd recommend seaweed extract in the water to help develop those roots quickly.

I had a couple cutted clones sitting in a cup of water (with my soaking airstones). I forgot about them. About a week later I saw them and they had started to pre flower as they were in my flower room. So if they can flower why not root?

my 2 cents...

CGs

yeah I've had success with others species using this method, most commonly bamboo, for cannabis however try an air rooter, or rock wool, or spag moss, or a rooting assisting gel. hope this helps.

I use clonex and rockwool personally. I've used hydroton in root zone flooding too. I've never had any luck with just plain water, bubblers or stillwater.

Today I cut my first clone! Experimenting with something. With the combined knowledge I want to see if this works for starting root. If it does, it will be the cheapest method ever.

Preping it for soil planting.

I placed the cut inside a bottled water, with a tiny hole cut in the center of the cap. I gently slide the newly cut clone in and taped it up with black tape to block out lights. Also added a slight nute (Fox Farm - Big Bloom) for the tip to sit on. Warped in tin foil...For air, I gently shake it few times a day.

We shall see if this works or not in 1-2 weeks. Twist the cap open and see the results in 7 days...

photo.jpeg

did you use a rooting hormone or gel?

Yes you can root in water. As mentioned, nutes are not required. The cutting (for the most part) uses stored reserves to produce roots. It will uptake some water as needed and starts doing so almost immediately - to see this in action, take a cutting and let it completely wilt (it's not dead yet, lol) beforehand. It'll stand up relatively soon after you stick it.

I rag on my "local" (not) hydroponics store because they're kind of mercenary and never seem to have what I'm looking for, but I have to give credit where credit is due: Although they sell cloners, they root the cuttings they take for their demonstration grows in a glass of water in the front window with an operating airstone and they tell anyone that asks that that's all it takes to root cuttings with the vast majority of species of plants.

There are things that a lot of people do that seem to me to be in opposition to the process. I mean, a hungry man is more likely to go to the store and a thirsty one more likely to drink.

But I do believe that the powders and gels can help speed the process along. I have read that the main benefit in powders such as Rootone and Shultz Take Root is that they often have anti-fungal ingredients. That seems to be a useful ingredient to have though. And I KNOW that Olivia's Cloning Gel is good stuff. They're Cloning Solution is also good but it's not so much a rooting device as a balanced (and very dilute) nutrient that is there ready to feed the plants when they've produced minimal roots and can use it. You could approximate the same thing by mixing up your own balanced nutrient solution. Or just root them in water and place into your medium afterwards. It's... Well, it's not rocket science. The plant and some fresh (and aerated, for best results) with gentle lighting are all you need. The other stuff either just speeds the process along (if used correctly) or is a crutch so that a person who's afraid to clone and doesn't think that they could do it might decide that they can do it after all.

I've tried repeatedly with my strain to take clones with a multitude of things and the only thing that ever works for me, repeatably is rockwool and 50/50 perilite/verm in a shallow water culture, with a dome. There's pictures of it in my latest journal.

No rooting hormone or gel. Just water with slight nutes. I also have one without nute for comparison.

Your success rate is going to be depressingly low with no rooting hormone... I don't think it will work, and if it does it will just be by chance.

By this logic, if I were to buy a dozen roses at the store, place them in a vase with plant food, they would grow roots. That has never been the case with any of my mom's roses over the past 40 years.

I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer, I do think it is a tad ridiculous though. But I do want to see this succeed. Would be cool, and would mean Cannabis sativa has "regenerative" properties.

:goodluck:

Your success rate is going to be depressingly low with no rooting hormone... I don't think it will work, and if it does it will just be by chance.

Rooting hormone? You do know that plants sort of have their own, right?;)

it is a help but certainly not a requirement.

By this logic, if I were to buy a dozen roses at the store, place them in a vase with plant food, they would grow roots. That has never been the case with any of my mom's roses over the past 40 years.

<SHRUGS> Cut a piece off of an african violet plant next time you're visiting a friend who has one. Stick it into a baggie and throw it in your pocket. When you get home place it in a glass of water and place it in a window that gets indirect light. Change the water every, IDK, couple of days. Wait. Wait. Wait some more. It'll have rooted. Olivia's seems to cut the time (in this case) by about 50%.

Or take a cutting from a healthy tomato plant. If you cannot get it to root I would say that it's not the plant's fault. I've got one in my compost pile now from the sucker branches I tossed on it.

Or try this: take a sharp razor blade and cut around a stem on one of your cannabis plants (vegetative or flowering - it doesn't matter) in two places an inch or so apart and being careful that you only go through the first two layers. Then make a vertical cut joining your two circles and peel the two layers off the stem. Pack the wound with a light medium, mist it lightly, wrap it in plastic wrap and poke a few small holes in the plastic. Then take something that will block light and wrap it around the plastic wrap. Wait a couple of weeks and then remove the dark covering and you'll almost certainly see roots growing. Snip it off and it's not a cutting, it's a rooted clone - a plant. No rooting hormone or fancy doodads involved. That's called air layering.

Lastly, ask an outdoor grower what happens half the time when a branch gets weighted down so the middle of it is on the ground and the grower then buries that part.

Plants are designed to produce roots. It's the number one priority - even higher than producing flowers. With no roots, the plant cannot support flowers. Therefore... No more plants.

I've had plants that literally took 4 weeks to root, and other plants that just drop dead in 12 hours. I think a lot of the survival rate goes into the location on the plant (due to growth hormones), the size of the cutting, temps and the humidity levels.

Back
Top Bottom