Putting clone in cup of water?

HighDive,

so what ended up happening?

i started one sunday because of this thread. changed the water today and added very mild nutr. no roots yet but it still looks like it did when i cut it.

i started one sunday because of this thread. changed the water today and added very mild nutr. no roots yet but it still looks like it did when i cut it.

is it still green (alive)? roots usually take 7-10 days to get a good system going.

If the cutting is properly prepared and the medium (water) is clean and aerated and the environment is acceptable, it should happen. It might take a little longer than with "helper" devices/products, but it should happen.

As has already been mentioned, if you've got a spare airstone to keep the water aerated (and to help prevent stem-rot), that will help things along (but they didn't have airstones for the first several thousand years that they took cuttings of plants).

I always liked to run a slightly lower humidity than a lot of people feel comfortable with for the cloning process. My reasoning was that if the humidity was such that it allowed for a level of transpiration that was close to the capability of the stem to uptake moisture (it can, a little bit, even without roots), that it would encourage roots to grow faster.

HighDive,

so what ended up happening?

It works! There were tiny needle like coming out from the stems and I didn't want to wait any longer, transplant it into a soil medium (FF) and let it grow. The lower leaves are dying but the top are growing out.

I guess it works. I also took few more cuttings from the mother plant and placed them in a cup of tap water for 30 mins, letting the chlorine to do its cleaning. Then plant it straight into soil medium (FF).

Still experimenting in the best method for more successful survival of the cuttings.

Anyone having trouble with clones google gel 2 root. You put the cutting directly in the container,put it under light (18/6 works well) and let it go. No need for a dome or to mist. This is the easiest,most effective method I have seen. I have only used this stuff twice but I am a believer. 100% success. :peace:

I did a total of 6 cuttings, turns out the first one (what you saw in this thread) that's the only one that survived and continue to grow. Yes! I have another female on the way.

What I noticed is that the cup of water help transition the plant to a grow medium by lubricating, and allowing the plant to suck up as much water it needs for the next week or so of drought since it has no root systems. To increase success make big cut almost identical of a plant that is 2 weeks old from seed. That way it has enough storage space to help with root growth without growing powder/gels. Then stick it in your grow medium of choice. For me it's FF soil.

I'm going to make more big cuttings with this method...

Only one successful rooted cutting? You're not allowing an air bubble to occur are you? Are you scraping the two outermost layers of the stem near the cut? Trimming some of the leaves/nodes (if it's got several)? Changing the water in the glass (if not using an airstone)?

The smaller cuttings did not survived, and because the temp was a bit high not enough humidity. The larger cutting was bigger that may help in its survival.

Yep, I did cut scalping the two outer layers of stem. 45 degree cut. Cut the fan leaves in half to reduce moisture loss. Water changed every 2-3 hours.

about 2 weeks ago i cut a big branch with mutiple branches. put it in a watter bottle. a week later little white dots around the stem of the branch in the water.looks like roots are starting to come. the branch has stay alive goin on two weeks i am thinking it will take close to a month to have a good root ball. my grandma propagates her plants with just putting her cuttings in water. says it takes a while just be patient. it works tho. just keep it by the window where light can reach the cuttings. thats how i am doing it and its working fine. ill post a pick soon

I now put it directly in the soil and put a transparent cup over it after misting. The clone take root in 1 week and grow much rapidly. When I transplanted them 2 weeks later it has reached the edge of 4x4in pot. I believed the maturity of the plant expedite the growth more so than a new seeding.

I have rooted houseplants and veggies with the clipping just sitting in water. I keep a cup in my window and try to change water frequently. I even have forgotten about them, or just never did anything and the roots just spiraled in the cup. I have 2 cuttings rooting right now the same way and it has been 2 weeks and is ready to be planted. Will post pics soon.

thats the only way I'll clone it's simple and no mess, put it in an opaque cup ( I cover the cup with saran wrap poke a small hole and put the stem thru) mist them in the morn. and eve. I have had roots in about 8 days, but usually 3-4 weeks. When they have a decent root system, then I put it in slightly damp soil and place it in a bowl of the clone water, let it drink it's fill for about 3 days,(but only from the bottom) keep it in the same place u started. Do not top feed or water from the top. you should have some nice healthy clones in a few weeks.

I clipped bottom to thin out 45 cut dipped in clonex filled 2 water bottles with tap water, placed in tent last Wednesday there starting to root. Been looking for a good clone machine if this works out good I'll do a few more.

My mom propagated plants all the time. Just water. Not weed but weed is just a plant. Yes rooting compound helps. It is not necessary

I've been saying the same thing for years. And for the same reason, lol. My mother has been rooting cuttings in a glass of water for most of her 80 years. Close enough to a 100% success rate that it rounds off to that number. For the last 45 years, the kitchen windowsill that she placed them has been a south-facing one; the light - and the heat - doesn't seem to be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom