QuantumNugs' - DWC - Northern Lights Auto - Grow Journal - 2015

QuantumNugs

Hey everyone
this is my first grow journal and im jumping in about 4.5 weeks from germination. Im a new grower, so I'd thought I'd start out with an autoflower strain so that i could grasp the basics of growing and get a sense of the involvment before i jumped sraight into photoperiods.

System: Hydroponics; DWC Indoor Grow Tent (4x2x4)
Medium: Coco/perlite/hydro-stones
Light: 300W LED Full spectrum 18/6 lighting schedule
PH: CWP 24/7 nute/temp/ph moniter, and Mad Farmer Up & Down.
Nutes: Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow A+B and Sensi Bloom A+B, White Shark
Air Scrubber:6'' Can style charcol filter with duct booster.
Fans: 2 6' garden fans

IMG_20150112_134400255.jpg

I am also using a small 2 foot grow box as a nursery as you will see in the pictures. It houses a little 1.25 gallon resevoir and is lit by 2 14W 6500K CFL's and 1 14W 2700K CFL. This is where i germ and keep my seedlings until they are big enough for the bucket.

12/12/2-14 START OF GROW NOTES

Week of 12/12-12/19
Germinated 4 seeds using the paper towell method and a splash of reverse osmosis water inside a little black tupperware container with a loose lid. paper towell needed re-wet at 24 hours. All 4 seeds were showing taproot by 48 hours with two having a pretty established hold in the paper towell, at over 3cm in length. *NOTE: These two plants are the two smallest at current stage (4.5 weeks)* Seedlings were extracted with tweezers (and small scissors to cut the paper towell around implanted roots)
and planted into organic starter plugs in small net pots with a base layer of hydrostones to help cut down splash from the bubbles in the res wicking to far into the plugs. water level is about 3-5 cm below the seed. These four plants are in the grow box at this stage. my nute solution is RO water with an extremely low dose of White Shark. PH was kept about 6.5 the first week before i lowered it to 5.8 where it has been since.

Week of 12/20-12/26
Vegging along quite nicely, still in the grow box. Solution was changed on Tuesday the 23, with RO water and 4ml of sensi grow A+B. getting pretty bushy, exhibiting about 3 nodes towards the end of the week. Played plants music (mixture of classical and electronic) for around two hours a day.

Week of 12/27-1/2
Too big for the grow box i decided to move the plants into the five gallon bucket. *NOTE: moving all of your plants into the same bucket is not a good practice, it will be sad if something happens and i lose my ENTIRE crop, but will serve as a valuable learning experience.* From what ive researched on thenorthern lights strain is that it tends to be a shorter, bushy plant so i planted my four seedlings in the soiless mix around the edge of the bucket thinking they will have plenty of room to expand. Brought out the 300W LED and positioned it about a foot away from the tops.i am oxegenating the water with a ring airstone in combination with a central stone. The plants responded really well to the transplant and exhibited excellent growth. some of the lower fan leaves were either splashed with solution, or got some of the medium on them and seem to be showing signs of nute burn. the upper sets are unaffected and growing well so i doubt its a sickness. Ive noticed the coco really messes with the PH so maybe its the little pieces that got on the leaves during transplant that burned them.

Week of 1/3-1/9
I had a dream my plants were ravaged by Pythium because my water temps are too high (Around 75F) so i changed the water and aimed a fan my bucket, and witihn a couple hours the temp was down to about 68-70F. Girls are way to big to all be in the same bucket so i started a littl Low Stress Training, pulling the tops away from the center of the bucket to expose growth sites to some more light. Using gardening wire ties is working well, although i would prefer the soft variety. Plants continue to grow quite vigorously sideays, extending lower sites until they are pretty much even with the canopy. There is a distinctive difference in height among all 4 plants, and even a color difference in leaves from plant to plant.

Week of 1/10- Current
Pistils have formed on all plants except for the shortest of the four. This Plant has darker leaves than the others and is the shortest, very pungent in odor. Im curious to see if its just stunted, malnourished, or just genetics. none of the other plants have exhibited any similar physical conditions as of yet. This Plant has been the slowest of the four since it was planted and was the one wirh the longest tap root at germination. Possibly this girl is suffering from the trauma of being planted with such an established micro-root system? Anyone else see anything like this? Continued LST this week is seeming to benefit new growth sites and the plant is responding well to training. Very Bushy and short, flower sites are becoming apparant.

I will update towards the end of the week, please interject with comments, suggestions, questions. :bongrip:

Heres the stunted one... notice how there is virtually no growth of the main stem between the newest nodes...

IMG_20150112_154329822.jpg

The big one i like to call "Butch" cuz shes a bad bitch

IMG_20150112_134424172.jpg

Looking good. I started in late Nov with my first grow. My autos are thriving and close to harvest, but I fought heat issues at first. You might want to invest in some Hydroguard unless you can keep those res. temps down.

I read somewhere that the slow growth and super close nodes can be caused by a deficiency of sorts, but don't remember which. Stay on top of your ph levels. Your nutes can get locked out and starve a plant of certain things it needs if the ph is off (aim for 5.8). I'll leave you with some ref charts that you might find helpful. Good Luck.

pH_chart71.jpeg

cannabis_leaf-deficiencies312.jpeg

Rifle, these charts are kickass i will definetly utilize these. Doc, i got a lot of info out of your post, im impressed with the science of your garden. I am hoping to set up a larger grow later this year, i would love to talk about your soil recipe, and get some help and knowledge from you concerning outdoor gardening in the pacific nw!!

I have an update on my grow....

So today i changed the water in my bucket res like i do every tuesday, but today i flushed the coco/perlite mix with tap water in an attempt to flush anything that could be causing slow growth in one of my girls. All four plants are planted in the same soil and i havent seen any signs of stress in the other three so im really scratching my head at this point. Anyway, i accidentally put flower nutes in the water instead of the regular veg ones, and didnt catch the mistake for a few hours. As soon as i realized, i reflushed the medium and changed the water in the bucket with the veg nutes.

Does anyone know if i should be worried about triggering flowering early? im trying to stretch the most out these (being auto-flower and all) and i dont want to administer the wrong nutes for the wrong process. :hmmmm:

I read somewhere that greater concentrations of nutrients that are used specifically for the process of flowering will trigger more of a "bud productive" response from the plant, sometimes slowing vertical growth and allocating a majority of resources to existing growth sites, what are your thoughts on this dan?

the seed company states a 8 week seed to harvest period, but this is deceptive is it not? 8 weeks would mean flowering around the time i am at right now, and my plants look they can still stretch for at least another week or two...

I read somewhere that greater concentrations of nutrients that are used specifically for the process of flowering will trigger more of a "bud productive" response from the plant, sometimes slowing vertical growth and allocating a majority of resources to existing growth sites, what are your thoughts on this dan?

That is interesting. I would imagine that if you fed them bloom nutes for awhile it might have the ability to switch the growth process, but a few hours if increased uptake in bloom nutes shouldn't be a concern.

the seed company states a 8 week seed to harvest period, but this is deceptive is it not? 8 weeks would mean flowering around the time i am at right now, and my plants look they can still stretch for at least another week or two...
Are they showing any preflowers at all? Some autos will start to flower when still relatively small. IMO, that is the downside to autos.

Thats what im hoping, that the flush essentially reset the medium. I have a few seeds left maybe ill have to do a definetive experiment with the nutes.:morenutes:

Yes i am seeing preflowers this week, stoked!

Thats what im hoping, that the flush essentially reset the medium. I have a few seeds left maybe ill have to do a definetive experiment with the nutes.:morenutes:!

That would be pretty interesting to see. Definitely do a journal on it if you do decide to experiment.

Im a visual learner so all these charts are super useful, thnak you, ill add them to my grow bible. Your plant is looking good dan, im excited to see how she grows, i just got my purple kush going right around the same age as yours. Are you going to lst your plant to keep it short in that space?

Im a visual learner so all these charts are super useful, thnak you, ill add them to my grow bible. Your plant is looking good dan, im excited to see how she grows, i just got my purple kush going right around the same age as yours. Are you going to lst your plant to keep it short in that space?

Thanks! Yes, I have Light Addict on board with me to help with Fluxing her. It'll be a challenge to get a decent grow in that small space.

Yeah your vertical is gonna be tricky but im sure fluxing is the way to go, i was actually thinking about trying it with the purple kush i have. I read LA's tutorial and i think i could probably do something like that, i might tag along and jump in on that thread, id love to see how big we can get these gals!

QuantumNugs,

How's it going, you have any updates on your girls. I had to re-germ new seeds and start over. I now have some babies in solo cups with 50/50 coco/hydroton. I plan to transplant into my 5 gal Hydro buckets when they are about 8-10" tall.
Give us an update !

Ive been away from my plants for the last week but they seem to be doing just fine on thier own!!
Okay, update time:

End of week six, lots of pistils and budding sites are really starting to form.

I got back yesterday and saw this:

IMG_20150123_154500317.jpg

IMG_20150123_154514970.jpg

IMG_20150123_154712494.jpg

I added a cal/mag supplement to my solution, at their recommended dosage of 4ml/g

Rich aromas of coffee and skunky earth hang in the air..

removed.

QuantumNugs,

How's it going, you have any updates on your girls. I had to re-germ new seeds and start over. I now have some babies in solo cups with 50/50 coco/hydroton. I plan to transplant into my 5 gal Hydro buckets when they are about 8-10" tall.
Give us an update !

what happened?

Back
Top Bottom