Question about LST method

Marbles420

I have been reading and reading and have found great info here but I haven't found any specifics about the LST method of bending the plant.

I know there's controversial talks about topping vs LST and I think both methods are great if it suits the growers needs, whatever makes 'em happy I suppose but can somebody give me and other reader's the details about LST?

* What degree is best and does it make any diff?
I read that it can be between 90° to 180°

* How much of the top should be bent, two or three nodes?

* How long should it remain in this position?

* Should it be done only once or can it be repeated?

* How much influence do these steps have on the rest of the plant?

Any and all info is appreciated
:peace: :thanks:

LSt can be employed to achieve different results depending on when in the grow process you do it and to what extreme.

If you want more main colas LST early on and tie the branches down so they are basically horizontal to the ground. This will promote lateral branching of of the horizontal branches giving you many main stalks.

If you are LSting strictly to control height then bend as needed. Keep in mind the older the branches are the more difficult it is to bend and you risk breaking, espcielly if you pull the branch down and away from the min stalk, you can get a wishbone type break. You can recover from these so dont be too scared. A little tape or twine and you can mend a pretty damaged branch up good.

You can lst to keep an even canopy and have better bud consistency by LSTing outward and keeping the tops on an even plane.

You see LSting really just means Low/Light Stress Training and you can do it really anyway you see fit. As you do it you will see how the plant responds and you can LST away to suit your needs.

As you bend stalks over the growth auxins leave that branch and head for the vertical growing branches. SO manipulating the stalks allows you to distribute growth auxins to just about all branches by tweaking around which ones are vertical and which get pulled horizontal.

Its your call. From seedling I bend then straight over so they run along the about 1 inch above the medium. Then spiral around the pot.

I've left it like this the whole grow and got many many branches that were actually a PIA to trim. This time I untied at the beginning of flowering phase and will pull the min colas outwards at the completetion of the stretch. This will allow better light penetration into the canopy and along the main colas.

Its a ongoing process there really is no once or repeated. As you do it you will see.

Major influence. You are redistributing growth hormones to parts of the plant that normally would not see as much growth hormone.

LSt can be employed to achieve different results depending on when in the grow process you do it and to what extreme.

If you want more main colas LST early on and tie the branches down so they are basically horizontal to the ground. This will promote lateral branching of of the horizontal branches giving you many main stalks.

If you are LSting strictly to control height then bend as needed. Keep in mind the older the branches are the more difficult it is to bend and you risk breaking, espcielly if you pull the branch down and away from the min stalk, you can get a wishbone type break. You can recover from these so dont be too scared. A little tape or twine and you can mend a pretty damaged branch up good.

You can lst to keep an even canopy and have better bud consistency by LSTing outward and keeping the tops on an even plane.

You see LSting really just means Low/Light Stress Training and you can do it really anyway you see fit. As you do it you will see how the plant responds and you can LST away to suit your needs.

As you bend stalks over the growth auxins leave that branch and head for the vertical growing branches. SO manipulating the stalks allows you to distribute growth auxins to just about all branches by tweaking around which ones are vertical and which get pulled horizontal.

Its your call. From seedling I bend then straight over so they run along the about 1 inch above the medium. Then spiral around the pot.

I've left it like this the whole grow and got many many branches that were actually a PIA to trim. This time I untied at the beginning of flowering phase and will pull the min colas outwards at the completetion of the stretch. This will allow better light penetration into the canopy and along the main colas.

Its a ongoing process there really is no once or repeated. As you do it you will see.

Major influence. You are redistributing growth hormones to parts of the plant that normally would not see as much growth hormone.

Thanks McBudz, you've been a great help, I'm still a little hazed, in other words, I'm trying to picture this in my head cuz I've never done it before.

But like you said, the plant will talk to me as I experiment with it.

From what you've written, I see that the LSTing can be applied to other branches as well and not only the main stem, sounds quite interesting. I do want to control the height so that the plants stay at around 48 inches tall and my goal is to try and train as many side branches to reach skyward and produce flowers.

One thing I'm not clear on is; What is "auxins"?

And will the plant resume growing vertically once the "tie down" has been removed? I'm wondering how that works.

Oh, and when you mentioned "spiraling around the pot", I take it that you mean alternating the position like the hands of a clock, if this is so, how long did you keep your's in any one position, just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again my friend :peace:

Marbles 420 i dont know alot about lst but have read alot about it and done my own research because like you im also interesting in lst, i wish someone could post a pic of an lst example for you im pretty sure youll get the help you need dont worry

Marbles 420 i dont know alot about lst but have read alot about it and done my own research because like you im also interesting in lst, i wish someone could post a pic of an lst example for you im pretty sure youll get the help you need dont worry

Well Bro, thanks for the encouraging words, I have just recently decided to get active in growing my own bud and it's overwhelming to read all the guides and threads cuz I see so many controversial things, I never realized how complex growing can be but maybe I'm taking it too seriously as I'm only a newbie. My biggest concern are pests, the tiny ones cuz I see them on my grapevine and worms on my trees, etc.

About 30 yrs ago when I was young, lol ... I grew 3 plants in my backyard and didn't know a thing about 'em, in fact I believe they were all males, I actually smoked the leaves and got a mild buz. Later I planted a seed and it was late in the season but the little squirt actually started flowering when it was only about 4 inches tall, I had no idea what I had but it was too small for any hope.

Now I need to start growing for medical reason cuz I can't take prescription pills anymore, I've become allergic to pain pills and pot seems to be my only hope for relief.

I want to give this grow my best effort, it won't hurt for me to know all I can before getting started and I'm sure counting on learning as I progress through this season.

I am truly grateful for all the support I've found here, you are all great people.
Peace to you all :peace:

Hey Marbles420! Glad to see you are here. I don't know if you have seen these pages yet, but here are a few links on the LST method. They are probably two of the best and most complete tutorials (with pics) I have been able to find in my searches. The third link is a current grow journal from someone who give amazing examples for you to follow. I hope this helps some

CnstntGrdnr's Indica/Sativa White Widow Grow Journal - 2009 - First Grow

it's a lot of reading...but I'm sure you are used to it by now. But there is very good info in them for you. If you have any other questions let me know.

I tend to start LSTing after around 4-5 nodes have appeared.

I start the seedling on one side of the veg pot and LST to the other side. I just use string and binder clips. That method allows for easy adjustment.

Here's the progression of my plants..

lst14.jpg

lstp1.jpg

lst2-veg2.jpg

I also crimp the tops of the taller branches (supercrop) to halt their growth until the others catch up. This makes for a more even canopy. I also crimp the top of the main stem to direct growth auxins to the lower branches. Once you get the top of the main cola down below the side branches on the main stem, growth will be directed to side branches and your main cola may no longer be the dominant cola.

I don't have any height constraints but what I'm going for by LSTing is a nice even canopy and multiple main colas.

:peace:

Harry

Wish you the best of luck Marbles420, seems like your really putting your heart into it, you got it man. I have a good feeling your grow is gonna be real sucessful.

Thanks Bro, it's starting to get interesting now, I gotta check out the other posts, looks like my questions are gettings answers

:thanks::peace:

Hey Marbles420! Glad to see you are here. I don't know if you have seen these pages yet, but here are a few links on the LST method. They are probably two of the best and most complete tutorials (with pics) I have been able to find in my searches. The third link is a current grow journal from someone who give amazing examples for you to follow. I hope this helps some

CnstntGrdnr's Indica/Sativa White Widow Grow Journal - 2009 - First Grow

it's a lot of reading...but I'm sure you are used to it by now. But there is very good info in them for you. If you have any other questions let me know.

Thanks funkydope, I'll be reading up on this, looks like great sources.

Edit; The illustration in the Grasscity link is worth a thousand words, now I know what McBudz was describing... simply awesome!
Sincerely appreciated Bro
:peace::grinjoint:

I tend to start LSTing after around 4-5 nodes have appeared.

I start the seedling on one side of the veg pot and LST to the other side. I just use string and binder clips. That method allows for easy adjustment.

I also crimp the tops of the taller branches (supercrop) to halt their growth until the others catch up. This makes for a more even canopy. I also crimp the top of the main stem to direct growth auxins to the lower branches. Once you get the top of the main cola down below the side branches on the main stem, growth will be directed to side branches and your main cola may no longer be the dominant cola.

I don't have any height constraints but what I'm going for by LSTing is a nice even canopy and multiple main colas.

Harry

Beautiful plants Harry, they look so healthy and damn bushy too! This is what I'm wanting to achieve, plants like yours. Looks like your plants are about the height I want, gotta keep 'em below the fence level.

Great post buddy and thanks a bunch for the super pics! They sure help a great deal.

One question about "supercropping", you said "until the others catch up"; Did you supercrop the other branches once they caught up? I suppose this method of supercropping stumps the growth where ever you crimp it, right?

:peace::thanks::grinjoint:

hmm lets see the way i did it was go to photo gallery on your right side of the screen you will see an upload click it upload your pics but after you do if you want to put them in the tread just click insert image tab then open a new tab on ur browser where u can see ur pics that have been uploaded after that right click the picture go down to properties and then copy the url for the pic come back to thread insert image icon paste url on there i think there is a thread here that shows you how to do it

Hey Marbles420, there are no waiting requirements that I'm aware of. You need to post your images through the gallery.

Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

One question about "supercropping", you said "until the others catch up"; Did you supercrop the other branches once they caught up? I suppose this method of supercropping stumps the growth where ever you crimp it, right?
I try to focus on the taller branches, crimping those until the shorter ones catch up. Sometimes, I'm crimping several taller branches until the shorter ones catch up. Once they start equalling out, your could crimp them again, if you're vegging longer and want a larger pipe or are trying to limit stretch.

From my viewpoint, "super cropping" is a variety of techniques, including topping, bending, crimping and tying. More generically, it's the crimping aspect that is usually referred to as "super cropping". Here's a good thread which describes crimping and how to rupture the inner herd without damaging the plant.

Supercropping - a tutorial

You just want to break that inner herd a little. I don't bend it over, I just crush the inner herd a little and sometimes it leans over a bit. If done properly, it will actually heal back stronger than before, with kind of bump where you crimped. I've crimped clones at every node as it grew and it makes it bush like crazy. You'll get the hang of it after a couple of attempts. ;)

Hope that helps.

Good luck with your grow!!

Harry

WOW! Harry...

I'm skimming through your first grow link posted in your sig and I'm only on page 15 so far and it's been almost 2 hrs sitting here at the puter...drooooling... slurp, slurp!

What incredible plants Bro! Looks like you did your homework well, I'm truly impressed and inspired!

I still have a lot of work to do in preparation for my first grow, I'm planning a 10' x 12' fenced grow space in my backyard, I don't have the space indoors since I remarried 2 yrs ago, LOL

I'm not sure just how many plants I'll end up with but I certainly hope for the best.

Well, off to get my morning Java, see ya around Bro :peace: and thanks for your assistance too! :thanks:

Thanks and glad I could help, Marbles420. You should be able to get lots of plants in that area. I've always been an outdoor grower myself, until that was no longer an option for me.

Good luck and I'm anxious to see your outdoor grow!!

Harry

Thanks and glad I could help, Marbles420. You should be able to get lots of plants in that area. I've always been an outdoor grower myself, until that was no longer an option for me.

Good luck and I'm anxious to see your outdoor grow!!

Harry

Hi Bro, I'm anxious to get it started, unfortunately I'm getting a late start this season but what can I say for a 1st time grower? lol

I will be always thinking of ways I can set up an indoor grow but space is a problem right now so thats why I decided to start outside.

Peace Bro :peace:

Back
Top Bottom