Question on police thermal imaging camera

mickliam

can a thermal imaging camera from a police helicopter pick up the heat sig if growing in the attic and if so, wots the best way of getting around it

I imagine they would be able to, but if you insulate your grow area and limit the amount of hot air exhausting directly out of your house, you should be fine.

ive made a 2m x 2m x2m tent out of plastic blackout sheeting its inner lined with maylar reflective sheeting. if i touch the outside of the tent it feels cool,the attic feels cool outside the tent. their is some light thats escapes , i have an extraction fan that vents heat out through 4" alumin duckting into the other side of the attic by this time its no longer hot its cool .police helicopters are over us quite often so its always in the back of my mind, but ive not heard of anyone being busted because of it.

ive made a 2m x 2m x2m tent out of plastic blackout sheeting its inner lined with maylar reflective sheeting. if i touch the outside of the tent it feels cool,the attic feels cool outside the tent. their is some light thats escapes , i have an extraction fan that vents heat out through 4" alumin duckting into the other side of the attic by this time its no longer hot its cool .police helicopters are over us quite often so its always in the back of my mind, but ive not heard of anyone being busted because of it.

Check out "Block IR".

From a hydro site:

A revolutionary new security product, Block-IR is made from NASA developed Infra-Red blocking technology. The two outer layers of Block-IR material reduce thermal imaging heat signatures by 97%. Each layer if Block-IR material is bonded to a durable layer of polyurethane for strength. An inner layer of insulation prevents conductive heat flow. An additional layer of polyurethane gives Block-IR high reliability and strength. Completely line any space with Block-IR for a 97% reduction in thermal imaging reduction. Don't be fooled by thin, cheap imitations that don't provide complete protection. This is the real deal. Accept nothing less. Foil tape is required for proper installation (below).

With IR gun

Block-IR-FLUKE-600.jpg

Block-IR-Before-600.jpg

Block-IR-After-600.jpg

Block-IR-250.jpg

i was watching a show on mythbusters the other night and saw where they were trying to beat security systems. ie. fingerprint scans, motion sensors , and yup you guessed it thermal imaging systems! and they easily beat the thermal imaging systems by holding a large piece of plate glass in front of thier body. i did some thinking and also remembered seeing a show where a helicopter was chasing a car using flir(foward looking infrared radar) and everything on the car and surrounding builinds glowed to some extent except for the windows which were all black. hope this helps someone for it would seem to be a cheap method to hide ir signs. oh but remember to have the glass not directly touching a hot surface.

i was watching a show on mythbusters the other night and saw where they were trying to beat security systems. ie. fingerprint scans, motion sensors , and yup you guessed it thermal imaging systems! and they easily beat the thermal imaging systems by holding a large piece of plate glass in front of thier body. i did some thinking and also remembered seeing a show where a helicopter was chasing a car using flir(foward looking infrared radar) and everything on the car and surrounding builinds glowed to some extent except for the windows which were all black. hope this helps someone for it would seem to be a cheap method to hide ir signs. oh but remember to have the glass not directly touching a hot surface.

mythbusters is great. I love that show.

On Weeds last season, they showed the DEA reviewing areal thermal imaging footage to locate meth labs and grow rooms. (It's how they located the missing Majestic cross, lmao) Even though it's a fictional tv show, I like watching because of these little nuggets of truth about cannabis horticulture sprinkled throughout. Makes me think more about the constant planes that fly over my otherwise secluded residence. We decided against our initial plan to move the growroom to an outside building, and are now keeping it 'in-house' for exactly that reason. I will still be using the IR-blocking material to seal the exterior wall of the growroom, though. The top of the room is seperated from snooping airborne agents by the attic.

If you are worried about IR I would do the ceiling too.

this kind of worries me. i am starting a grow in my third floor using a 400 watt mh/hps. i live in a 100+ year home with no insulation. how much of a heat signature will show up on my walls? i also have a lot of helicopters flying around my area

this kind of worries me. i am starting a grow in my third floor using a 400 watt mh/hps. i live in a 100+ year home with no insulation. how much of a heat signature will show up on my walls? i also have a lot of helicopters flying around my area

If it gives off heat they will see it if they are looking. I would insulate with something that blocks IR.

I honestly don't think that it will be a big deal at least for 95% of us. I could understand someone growing with like 4 - 10 600's then yeah mabie have to consider some IR security measures . But if your just growing with a 400 or even 2 600's I think the insulative property's of your house and grow room,growbox would suffice. But I also understand safe is better to.

I honestly don't think that it will be a big deal at least for 95% of us. I could understand someone growing with like 4 - 10 600's then yeah mabie have to consider some IR security measures . But if your just growing with a 400 or even 2 600's I think the insulative property's of your house and grow room,growbox would suffice. But I also understand safe is better to.

They would see it in most cases but I doubt they will want to investigate further if they see only 1 or 2 lights as opposed to 10 or more for commercial ops. At least thats just what I tell myself to feel better about it. :/

this is starting to worry me so much that i am getting paranoid. my grow room is located at the back of my house and would be easily seen from a helicopter. i am thinking about moving my grow room to my basement. i know how to fix everything down there that could go wrong. my gas,water and electric meters are all outside so i don't have to worry about that.. i did have a gas leak outside a few years ago and the gas co employee insisted on going down my basement to shut off the gas to my heater but if that happened again i will refuse him entry. i know how to do all that stuff and can also find and repair any leaks. i would just feel more secure in my basement. the only thing i worry about there is smell. that's why on another thread i wanted to know about the smell of arjan's haze #3 when flowering. my son does occasionally get into mischief and i have had the cops at my door and i would not want any kind of smell making it's way through my walls or floorboards. that's why i will not grow any stinky skunk strains. from my experience sativas usually just smell strong in the grow room. i really started to worry after i rad about the kopbusters incident in texas. i have been involved in two instances and know of one other involving a friend where the cops blatantly lied to bolster their case. so i know it happens

It happens but the FLIR would not be admissible in court as the reason for the bust. it's been ruled unconstituional to use FLIR to find grow houses. It's considered a invasion of privacy to look into peoples houses, even with FLIR, just to see if they are doing something illegal. Never give them a reason or way to prove your growing and they will never bust you. NEVER tell anyone and NEVER sell and keep traffic to your house to a minimum and all should be fine. they don't want the 6 plant med grower. they want the 100+ plant commercial grower. Your almost too much paperwork for a lazy cop to deal with if your small and totally personal. When you start selling and smoking out the neighborhood that all changes though.

It happens but the FLIR would not be admissible in court as the reason for the bust. it's been ruled unconstituional to use FLIR to find grow houses. It's considered a invasion of privacy to look into peoples houses, even with FLIR, just to see if they are doing something illegal. Never give them a reason or way to prove your growing and they will never bust you. NEVER tell anyone and NEVER sell and keep traffic to your house to a minimum and all should be fine. they don't want the 6 plant med grower. they want the 100+ plant commercial grower. Your almost too much paperwork for a lazy cop to deal with if your small and totally personal. When you start selling and smoking out the neighborhood that all changes though.

Exactly. It is a total invasion. Cops could be watching thermal images of intimate moments and such. Especially when looking at your home. Your home is your sanctuary where you should feel safe and not intruded upon. They would have to have a good reason to be watching your house with FLIR. Keep it small and keep it personal. :peace:

i know what your saying but i still am a little paranoid about this. we have a state police helicopter that flies around all of the time who know's what they are doing. just because they need a warrant to use flir doesn't mean that they won't use it and put something else on their affidavit for a warrant such as an informant who saw your plants or that the cops were outside your home and could smell marijuana. cops lie all of the time to suit their case and who wants to go to all of that trouble in the first place to prove that they used flir illegally. you would probably never know if they did anyway. i guess i am being a little paranoid but i am growing for my own personal medicinal use and what i do in the privacy of my own home is my business. i know that it is illegal but i am hurting no one i am not beating on my kids or killing anyone. now if i was doing this for commercial reasons and i was caught selling or something like that then that's a different story but i feel it's better safe than sorry

i know what your saying but i still am a little paranoid about this. we have a state police helicopter that flies around all of the time who know's what they are doing. just because they need a warrant to use flir doesn't mean that they won't use it and put something else on their affidavit for a warrant such as an informant who saw your plants or that the cops were outside your home and could smell marijuana. look up kopbusters on google and you'll see what i mean.cops lie all of the time to suit their case and who wants to go to all of that trouble in the first place to prove that they used flir illegally. you would probably never know if they did anyway. i guess i am being a little paranoid but i am growing for my own personal medicinal use and what i do in the privacy of my own home is my business. i know that it is illegal but i am hurting no one i am not beating on my kids or killing anyone. now if i was doing this for commercial reasons and i was caught selling or something like that then that's a different story but i feel it's better safe than sorry

Not to sound rash or anything but it all comes down to the old adage .."If you can't do the time then don't do the crime" even if we all know it should not be one. get the infrared blocking film and seal that area up.

what the heck is that supposed to mean. i can't afford ir blocking film. that's easy for you to say you live in cali, i don't. i need my medicine and it sucks that i have to be worried about that.

Back
Top Bottom