Questions about LST and pH

I've normal started LST work around 6 inch to 8 inch of plant growth you can wait longer in till a little bit bigger :thumb:

Some quick examples.
day_28_from_seed_004.JPG
004763.JPG
001946.JPG
002972.JPG

Sounds like ya growing soil, please correct me if i'm wrong ?

But ye soil is general self buffering in nature & will return to its ambient PH value in a matter of several hours or so, which can be observed !

So providing the soil has a correct PH value some where between PH 6 & 7 you will fine, the real sweet spot is between PH 6.5 to 6.8 for optimal nutrient uptake...

So correcting nutrient solution PH value for soil grows is a waste of time & what you should be more concern about is the PH of the soil/compost that is where the real chemistry is done for nutrient uptake.

After all many plants are grown in soil across the world in all sorts of soil/compost variations 11 out of 10 farmers/growers of what ever plant will amend the soil PH to a suitable level for optimal growth... Never in 2 decades have i meet a farmer or any other grower of what ever plant, PH correct his fertilizer or liquid feed for soil/compost growing !

Its just not done or practical when the real evidence supports correct PH value of the soil/compost it self :peace:

Oh ye here's a chart of nutrient availability for soil, enjoy :thumb:

soil_ph_nutrient_availability.jpg

Oh ye i forgot some minor details.

The only things which effect soil PH over time is...

Regular feeding of chemical/synthetic salt based fertilizers... like every watering, plants are only going to use what ever nutrients they need at the present time so over feeding of such nutrients chem/synth will leave a trace salt build up, over time these salts will make the soil/compost more acidic in nature & large builds ups of salts in what ever macro/micro nutrient value may cause lock out issue's or an in balance of PH due to salt build up !

So a feed/water/feed/water regime is best used or some form of variation of it...

I start at 1/4 strength for young plants of a few weeks old then to 1/2 strength and final full strength for the last couple of weeks in veg feeding once a week, in flowering i normally feed twice a week any other waterings in between feeding is just plain old water.

High alkaline water PH 8.5 or greater over a length of time may increase PH.... not sure on how long that really takes effect but on sort term indoor grows should not be a problem i suspect.

If you are growing in hydroponics the pH will rise for several reasons. If you are using tap water the calcium in the water is buffering the pH and will have to be adjusted multiple times. The pH rises in a nutrient solution because the plants use more nutrients then water and this causes the pH to rise.

Looking just fine & keep up the good work she will reward you well for your efforts :thumb:

The PH of the nutrient solution if left to stand for a period of 24 to 48 hours will change, i can not remember off the top of my head why at the moment ? (might be alkaline buffering effect ?)

But a stronger concentration of PH down could be used, avoid high % nitric acids general quite nasty but i pretty sure if you shop around you can get around 70% phosphoric acid PH down which help keep the PH stable for longer.

Up to you if you wish to PH down nutrient solution either way plants still grow but its totally a misconception to do this, its just decades of hearsay & bad advice from people who general don't know or have any real knowledge & formal qualifications about soil science, agriculture or horticulture areas of expertise.

The only reason i don't use PH downs or ups in soil.

1. The acids general damage microbial life in the soil.

2. Soil is self buffering.

3. I've used organic & chem/synth nutrients in soil & never measured the PH or run off doing just fine myself !

Back
Top Bottom