Quick pH calibration check

Purple Goose

If you are in doubt about the accuracy of your ph meter and are out of calibration solution one quick test that can be performed to determine accuracy is to use vinegar. I did a search for Ph of vinegar on google and wikapedia had a post that vinegar has a ph of 2.4 I did some tests with malt vinegar and white vinegar with a fully calibrated ph meter and what do you know it was spot on 2.4 so if your ever in a pinch to test your ph calibration use vinegar. And as a side not you can also use vinegar as ph down as it is food grade and will not harm your plants also baking soda can be used as ph up .

If you are in doubt about the accuracy of your ph meter and are out of calibration solution one quick test that can be performed to determine accuracy is to use vinegar. I did a search for Ph of vinegar on google and wikapedia had a post that vinegar has a ph of 2.4 I did some tests with malt vinegar and white vinegar with a fully calibrated ph meter and what do you know it was spot on 2.4 so if your ever in a pinch to test your ph calibration use vinegar. And as a side not you can also use vinegar as ph down as it is food grade and will not harm your plants also baking soda can be used as ph up .

GREAT ADVICE!! :bravo:

Good to know Cateros! I always seem to be out of calibration solution when I need it. But I always have vinegar on hand, because that is how I lower my ph. Thanks for the info!
+ rep!

Interesting topic. I've just had a dilemma.. I have a 100 shot ph test kit, which involves dropping 4 drops of test fluid into a measure of the water to be tested. It comes with a colour chart, etc. The ph seemed to be in the 5 - 4.5 bracket.

I just got an electronic tester, cheap from Hong Kong, or similar, and it comes with "calibrating powder". (two bags) Instruction say to mix with 250 mls (water, presumably) and calibrate the meter to 6.86. Same with the other end, gets calibrated to 4.00.

Problem is it doesn't mention using distilled water..and I don't see how the test would work, starting with any old water...
Can someone just clarify for me that it's necessary to use distilled water when calibrating? Surely it HAS to be a completely neutral solution?
Straight out the box, it was reading 6.1 which probably means nothing at all till it's calibrated.

I tried the vinegar trick - but of course - as yet, I've no way of knowing!

Interesting topic. I've just had a dilemma.. I have a 100 shot ph test kit, which involves dropping 4 drops of test fluid into a measure of the water to be tested. It comes with a colour chart, etc. The ph seemed to be in the 5 - 4.5 bracket.

I just got an electronic tester, cheap from Hong Kong, or similar, and it comes with "calibrating powder". (two bags) Instruction say to mix with 250 mls (water, presumably) and calibrate the meter to 6.86. Same with the other end, gets calibrated to 4.00.

Problem is it doesn't mention using distilled water..and I don't see how the test would work, starting with any old water...
Can someone just clarify for me that it's necessary to use distilled water when calibrating? Surely it HAS to be a completely neutral solution?
Straight out the box, it was reading 6.1 which probably means nothing at all till it's calibrated.

I tried the vinegar trick - but of course - as yet, I've no way of knowing!

Oh one other way is there are some bottled waters that come with there ph labled on them so if you are trully in doubt and need some sort of cheap and easy solution look for mineral water with the ph listed on it.

I'll have a look for bottled waters... but I'm still looking for the answer to the calibration procedure.. as in

"Can someone just clarify for me that it's necessary to use distilled water when calibrating? Surely it HAS to be a completely neutral solution?"
(From my original post)

Thanks all, so far..!

I'll have a look for bottled waters... but I'm still looking for the answer to the calibration procedure.. as in

"Can someone just clarify for me that it's necessary to use distilled water when calibrating? Surely it HAS to be a completely neutral solution?"
(From my original post)

Thanks all, so far..!

I would try asking at your local hydroponic store as they will more then likely have some idea about those type of buffer solutions

My local hydroponic store is over 100 miles away - and I don't shop with them...All my kit was imported. What I have discovered is that Evian water has a ph of 7.2, Milk of Magnesia is 10 - 10.5, and also lemon juice, apple juice, etc..
I'll get by.

Thanks all...

My local hydroponic store is over 100 miles away - and I don't shop with them...All my kit was imported. What I have discovered is that Evian water has a ph of 7.2, Milk of Magnesia is 10 - 10.5, and also lemon juice, apple juice, etc..
I'll get by.

Thanks all...
Your local store maybe a hundred miles away but I'm pretty sure your telephone will reach out far

Back
Top Bottom