Quick question about changing COBs

Paulpoirier

If someone buys a cheap light, would it be possible to use all the material and driver and just replace the cheap cobs by for example by vero29 or cree? Or maybe drivers not good enough or heatsinks???

I have seen people do this. However, normally I believe they swap the driver too to match the style cob they want to add.

Hopefully a COB expert will chime in. However, I would assume the chips could potentially operate at different requirements - Voltage and amperage.

What budget LED says is true.

If your gonna hack a light you typically match the new diodes to the existing driver. If your going to order matching diodes and driver's you may as well build a new light. Because it will cost about the same.

With the quality boards available from folks like @Budget LED, HLG and atreum there's really no reason to bother. Pinch pennies for a few weeks longer and get something good. I'm still limping my initial blurples by on the veg side until I can afford some new lights.

What budget LED says is true.

If your gonna hack a light you typically match the new diodes to the existing driver. If your going to order matching diodes and driver's you may as well build a new light. Because it will cost about the same.

With the quality boards available from folks like @Budget LED, HLG and atreum there's really no reason to bother. Pinch pennies for a few weeks longer and get something good. I'm still limping my initial blurples by on the veg side until I can afford some new lights.
Thanks one last question would you go with hlg v2 100 or vero29 cobs for a build?

Back
Top Bottom