Real story on ratios?

cannalearna

Okay so what's the real deal with Males, Females, and Hermaphrodites?

I thought the sex of a seed was predetermined and a Hermaphrodite was a plant under stress. I just figured all the high female ratio tips were more like guidelines for optimal conditions so plants will not become stressed.

Is there any scientific data on this subject by a group of researchers who has nothing to gain (not for profit)? Seed Banks definitely do not count.

I've been studying on this subject and so far it seems like a seeds sex is genetically predetermined and it appears a hermie was a stressed male or female.

I've also read to feminize seeds you need a female clone soaking in a solution (maybe aspirin/water). This should turn the female clone to male. The new male plants pollen should only have female chromosomes. It also seems like a female hermie's (female with male flowers) pollen should do the same.

However I do not understand how you would be able to change the sex of a clone and not a seedling.

Maybe as a team effort we can all get to the bottom of this. It seems rather important. Why pay for feminized seeds if you can do it yourself.

Any info would be great! Thank you.

I have come across more info. I don't know if I can take info from one site and post the link here, but I'll give you the gist of it.

I came across a guy who say's he's a scientist studying medical marijuana. I don't know of his credentials, but he says he has found a way to tell the sex of a plant when it gets it's first set of pointy leaves by separating the DNA in a centrifuge with great success. If grow support okays me to provide a link I will.

I know I'm new to this and have no credentials, but it sounds like that it's to early for man to have an effect on the genetics.

I can not stress how much I would like all the tips to be true, but so far, The only reasonable thing is to feminize the seed with 100% female chromosome pollen.

Keep reading :cheesygrinsmiley:

I still don't believe sex is "genetically predetermined"
Unless it has been influenced.

You can, either way, with stress.

I thought stress only gave you hermies, as a survival mechanism?

Some animals can do this to reproduce if the group only has males or females. Plants and animals are not all that different in the grand scheme of things.

Again, please understand I am by no means a botanist or an experienced grower. All I'm intending to do is gather info so we can all invest our labor, time, and funding efficiently.

I thought stress only gave you hermies, as a survival mechanism?
yeapper,
you use that hermie pollen to pollenate a female clone and have female seed.
Very few if any hermies, Unless they get stressed.

Yes they do, Grouper do it, I use to fish for a living :cheesygrinsmiley:

I understand :cheesygrinsmiley:
I've been breeding for a few yrs now
and started with a single PureSativa female.
She is still a PureSatvia, Very stable and 3 generations old.
4 this spring :cheesygrinsmiley:
And I stressed this last generation to the environmental limit.
Put outside in January, froze a couple times,
flowered, re-vegged and flowered again,
while being exposed to drought and lack of care
and not one hermie.

I didn't learn by reading, near as much as I did by doing :cheesygrinsmiley:

Okay... ready for this?

The sex determination system is what tells all. Whether It's XX/XY or a XO system. If it's XX/XY it's predetermined and if it's XO it's a cytological method that decides the sex, but this is where the debate begins, which one is it.

However a lot of researchers suggest that environmental conditions determine sex or strongly influences it.

A researcher named Ainsworth reviews that treatment with auxin and ethylene have feminizing effects and cytokinins and gibberellins have masculinizing effects.

It has been reported sex can be reversed with chemical treatment.

It's also been stated that cannabis is not a true hermaphrodite. True hermies' flowers have both sex organs on each flower and not scattered throughout the plant.

I will look into this in more detail later. I've hit my information uptake limit for the day.

From further study I have learned that Cannabis is predominately dioecious (meaning having sex organs on separate individuals), wich is the variety used for drug production. Many varieties have been discovered to be monoecious (meaning having sex organs on same individuals). The monoecious variety is what is known as a hermaphrodite. I've read that Cannabis is not a true hermaphrodite though (meaning they do not have both sex organs on the same flower, they are scattered through out the plant).

Researchers have found male DNA in Male dioecious, but not in the female dioecious, which some conclude that there are male chromosomes.

Most researchers still believe sexual orientation of the plant is based on it's environment.

There is a lot of evidence supporting both sides depending on the methods used for determining markers, but for now the popular theory is you can influence the sexual orientation of Cannabis (at least the dioecious variety).

Back
Top Bottom