Removing underbrush? opinions? experiences?

kdogsgirls

hey whats up, im growing under artificial light so it doesnt penitrate more than three three and a half feet, i am wondering what you guys gals think about removing all the bullshit underneath at the bottom thats not really gonna produce anyways, im five days into flower, does it have any major affect to remove a bunch of little shoots and branches from the bottom of the plants?

Re: removing underbrush???opinions? experiences?

Yes...It's best to do this... but then again it depends on my big your plant is...are you gonna be making any hash or edibles? If so that is perfect for that...You could also chop the top half at harvest and let the bottom get more light

It sounds like you don't want to do that so I'll offer this illustration...imagine your nutes going up the stem...all those little shit buds are taking from the nutes that are on the way up to the top of the plant...so use that thought when deciding.

thanks...i get the whole wasted nute issue, what im wondering is taking a bunch of it off now gonna stress the plant, possibly create hermis five days into flowering?

I'm not expert but I'll say that I trim all throughout and dont get any...Often you can really take off those bottom ones until they strech out so...

The plants are about four and a half feet..my other concern was that they are stretching big time and a couple are a good six inches above the rest fuckin up the canopy, if I start choppin shit at the bottom will it cause more stretch?

no it wont cause stretching...The streching that I was referring to is the stretching that occurs when under the HPS lights...

For your canopy problem...you may want to try putting the shorter ones on something...I use a lot of the 2liter pop/soda holders that restaurants use...milk crates work good too...Mine were free to me though so that's why I use them...also the taller ones can go closer to the edge of your garden...

Ive got the shorter ones up on totes ..i usually always top the plants and keep em like three feet , this time, dont know why, I let em go till every single one showed deffinite sex, so they vegged longer..now there bigger than usual and I wanna trim em back a little

I only remove leaves as they are dying. Even under the scrog screen, if they are staying green, then I'm thinking they are producing. when they are not, the plant kills them off.

Though this is a huge debate on the forums. If you searched around you can find lots of posts.

The best way to figure it out is to do it and see what happens.... If you don't like the results, then you don't do it again.... I trim all the underneath out whether it is getting some light or not. Not only does it get rid of the suckers, it allows for better airflow throughout the plants... It all comes down to personal choice... It may work for one person and not for another....

i posted a couple pics of the plants i wanna clean up in my gallery, cant figure out how to get em on the threads...im gonna put pics up of after in about an hour when im done...its an assload of work to do it to nine plants though, maybe six of em need it...im rt now gettin ready to put together my filter , any experience with can fans ?

been through it thanks, im using a phone for my pics, i can get on a pc but i cant figure out how to get em from the fone to the pc...i wonder cold i email myself the fotos and download em through the email onto my pc then upload em.

First time grow here (have a grow journal going if you're interested) but anyhow I tried to tuck away fan leaves for a long time and then finally started just pruning on the bottom of the plant for the past few weeks because the bottoms of my plants were getting little to no lighting. All my popcorn buds on the bottom have now noticeably grown larger and greener so I'm happy with what I did. anyhow just my two cents.

Anyone that says not to trim any fan leaves at all has probably never tried it. Been doin it for some time, and it has no negative effects as far as I can tell. I don't trim anything till after the stretch (about day 21 of flowering). By then I have a much better idea of what will make the canopy and what won't. At day 21 and 42, I trim any undeveloped lower branches as well as any non-cola fan leaf that doesn't have a budsite directly attached to it. So, if a budsite starts stemming off the large fan leaf and develops its own smaller fan leaf, the large fan leaf at the base of the stem gets snipped. In the past, I've left some of those larger leaves at budsites that had branched off. Just to compare the difference they make. The branches that retained those large fan leaves showed zero benefit over the ones that got the ax weeks earlier. In fact, those branches with the large leaves showed much poorer bud development just below the canopy. Proof is in the pudding, in my opinion. If a leaf is blocking light from a budsite in my garden, it makes my shit list real quick like. :)

Ima with snub here ive trimmed alot of the same fan leafs, depending where they are and where thier attached...i like the 21 days and 42 days hair cut idea....hell this isnt hockey season...we dont need no stinky beards....trim that bush...

Back
Top Bottom