Rett's PC Growbox Journal

Rett

im a first time grower, about to indulge on the adventure of making a PC growbox using CFL's...or LED. im not too sure which to use. to be honest, im a noob at this, and im hoping to get the help from u guys/gals to make this a success.

i just hollowed out my old throwback desktop tower, and im ready to start shopping for supplies. so any help as to what to get, strains, techniques, etc....all info is good info! ive heard that auto flowering are best, but again, its ur advice im rolling with. id like to go for quality and thc level over quantity. im not just a smoker, im a connoisseur.

as i said, all i have is the hollowed out cpu because i want to make sure i do it right the first time. so i need ur help!!!! lol. i would ideally like to have possible 2 short plants, but if you think i can fit more in my cpu, please dont hesitate to tell me. im here because ive read thru some journals and like the community help on 420magazine.

the dimensions of my cpu are as follows: height - 17 inches
width - 7 inches
depth - 17 inches

i still have the fan from the cpu if that helps at all.

the local seedbank in my area of Toronto has many choices of seeds, feminized ones. just not experienced enough to choose. again, im qoing for thc level and quality....not interested in quantity. i want the good stuff! lol

thanks for the help 420! its my first, wish me luck...i'll be updating with pics as i go.

:thanks:

ps. im sure there is a forum somewhere about this, but my situation is unique, so i thought i would give a journal a try. i also apologize for the sideways pics...not sure how to rotate them on here

Pickering-20130116-00257.jpg
Pickering-20130116-00255.jpg
Pickering-20130116-00254.jpg

so far my shopping list is this: mylar (ive been told to use a car sun shield, not sure if i should tho), surge protected power bar, light sockets, intake and outtake fans, thermometer.

thats what i have so far. need cfl's, but not sure what to get.

HELP! please

Welcome and looks like it could be interesting, not a CFL guy but from what i have read you want ssomething with both spectrums of light, 2700k to 6500k o get the blue and the red wattage is up to what the pc will handle as far as heat, would go with mylar if you can, it works great and would line the entire inside of the case all 6 sides, not sure on the autos unless you o with a lowrider and lst them, some can get pretty big 7ft. Are you using it for veg and flower? Figure half your heigth or maybe less for veg, you have to conside pot size and the lights so that takes up someo f the heigth in the pc. I would look at short flowering feminized seed or a lowrider. You want the fan one where the power supply was and another the intake lower to move air and keep it cool. Maybe two small plants and you will need to LST them to keep them inside the box remember that most will stretch 2x's the heigth they are at when you flip the light best of luck on this one, me I would stick with and indica heavy plant. Peace OG

hey OG, thanks for the reply. i will most probably use it for veg and flowering. again, im very 'green' to the whole process, which i am a bit embarrassed about, but with the help of new friends such as urself, im hoping for a good 1st grow. so ya, gonna use this box for veg and flower. the seed bank i'll be going to has height specs to some of their strains, and a handful seem to be ideal. i dont want to post the link in case im infringing on anything. but i do think ive got the height when it comes to strain covered.

i will definitely get those 2 fans, and as far as LST goes. im gonna have to search the forums for that, cuz OG....i have no clue what that is...lol....geez, im so embarrassed. lol

i appreciate ur reply and ur info...i will do my best to make ya'll proud!

thank u OG!

just for information, the strains im considering are, keep in mind they are all auto:

MiG-29 (high thc, 30-100cm tall, 65-80 days from seed)
polar express (high thc, 30-80cm tall, 60 -80 days)
royal bluematic (60-75cm tall)
royal dwarf (40-60cm tall)
sweet tooth (high yield, 60-65 days from seed, short, high thc)
trans siberian (short, high thc, 65-70 days)
gnomo ( 20% thc, short)

its a hard decision!!! they all sound so tantalizing!!!

im not familiar with a lowrider strain, but im going for quality over quantity. i enjoy a good smoke and want to have the best i can. even if i end up with 1gram of the craziest smoke ever, i am a happy man :)

Watsup?! It's interresting! I'm growing with CFLs too! I'm using cool white, 23 watts (100watts incadescent equal). It is working well for the first weeks and you can put them very close to the plants, about 6" for me... and for flowering I'll be using warm white 23 watts like OG1969 explained... But it takes also more light in flowering... Personaly I think you'll outgrow the case very quickly... Come see my journal if you want, I use a basic CFL setup too...

Good luck, I'll follow you!

hey OG, thanks for the reply. i will most probably use it for veg and flowering. again, im very 'green' to the whole process, which i am a bit embarrassed about, but with the help of new friends such as urself, im hoping for a good 1st grow. so ya, gonna use this box for veg and flower. the seed bank i'll be going to has height specs to some of their strains, and a handful seem to be ideal. i dont want to post the link in case im infringing on anything. but i do think ive got the height when it comes to strain covered.

i will definitely get those 2 fans, and as far as LST goes. im gonna have to search the forums for that, cuz OG....i have no clue what that is...lol....geez, im so embarrassed. lol

i appreciate ur reply and ur info...i will do my best to make ya'll proud!

thank u OG!

Hey rett, LST stands for low stress training, where branches of a plant are manipulated by bending to limit height and encourage bud growth by exposing flowers to direct light as opposed to light filtered through the canopy. Branches are then secured by string, wire, or any device that won't cut into the stem limiting plant metabolism.

Look through the site here plenty of the grows incoporate lst in them , and a misfired is just that it is a smaller autoflowering plant google it you will find a ton and may be perfect for the first grow.

Ment to say a lowryder is another style of autoflower they are just shorter, and here is LST On my Sannie's Jack.
2013_sannie_s_seeds_004.JPG

2013_sannie_s_seeds_005.JPG

2013_sannie_s_seeds_006.JPG

2013_sannie_s_seeds_007.JPG

2013_sannie_s_seeds_008.JPG

Best of luck can't wait to see some plants growing for you,Peace OG

Rett I have quite a bit of experience building some PC - growboxes pm me if you want. The hard part with CFL´s is the heat issue if you go for CFL´s you might have to have a active airintake to reduce the heat. Check my signature got a link of my PC - growbox hopefully it will help if you got any other question´s just ask. The new PC- growboxes I built there has been LED put in.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom