Revegging after early flowering to deal with regular seeds

I have seen that diagram before but never tried it.

Anecdotally I’ve tried it and there’s no merit. The male seeds were female.. the female seeds were male.. I just toss whichever ones look healthiest and most mature in and hope for the best

There is a short article about how the environment, mostly temperatures, in the grow area can affect 1 and 2 week old seedlings and cause them to mature as females.

Do you have a link to the article, or will a google search yield it easily?

Anecdotally I’ve tried it and there’s no merit. The male seeds were female.. the female seeds were male.. I just toss whichever ones look healthiest and most mature in and hope for the best

I have heard about similar things. Many different environmental things could make it male or female. Not sure if this is bro science, as the chromosomes should either be xx or XY, but stresses could make a female hermie.

Yes, several years ago I saved at least one link. Might have more on the hard-drive but found one so far.

https://greencultured.co/cannabis-seeds-growing-female-plants/

No as far as an easy google search. Just about every wording of a string of search words brings up links on hermaphrodites or feminizing methods. I did end up with a query that produced a result page and I saved one of those articles. Then I closed out the search tab without saving the search words.

This link explains more of what is found in the first article. Most importantly it tells where the research started.

How to produce mostly females from standard seeds

I just now found this older article in which Jorge Cervantes refers us back to the owner of Dutch Passion Seeds who started gathering the info on the environmental factors that influence the growing of more female plants from regular seeds.

Jorge's Cannabis Encyclopedia: Ensure Female Seedlings | High Times

I have heard about similar things. Many different environmental things could make it male or female. Not sure if this is bro science, as the chromosomes should either be xx or XY, but stresses could make a female hermie.
The common reason given is that the plant does not become male or female until several days to a couple of weeks after germination and not at the moment of fertilization like the higher forms of life on this planet.

Yep.. I think the environment plays a huge role in cannabis’ sex. This would explain why a lot of us have a better ratio than the 50/50 split they say seeds have.

Yes, several years ago I saved at least one link. Might have more on the hard-drive but found one so far.

Cannabis Seeds & Growing More Female Plants | Green CulturED
This link explains more of what is found in the first article. Most importantly it tells where the research started.

I just now found this older article in which Jorge Cervantes refers us back to the owner of Dutch Passion Seeds who started gathering the info on the environmental factors that influence the growing of more female plants from regular seeds.

The common reason given is that the plant does not become male or female until several days to a couple of weeks after germination and not at the moment of fertilization like the higher forms of life on this planet.

Awesome, thank you! I’ll read over this but suspect it’ll fall in line with what I’ve observed.

Then I closed out the search tab without saving the search words.

This made me chuckle.. I do this all the time

Cannabis Seeds & Growing More Female Plants | Green CulturED

No as far as an easy google search. Just about every wording of a string of search words brings up links on hermaphrodites or feminizing methods. I did end up with a query that produced a result page and I saved one of those articles. Then I closed out the search tab without saving the search words.

Thanks for going through your hard drive to find these.
My initial impression is that Dutch Passion was one of the first to sell feminized seeds. When these were first developed they did not use silver to block ethylene. They stressed plants, let them go beyond harvest etc. This resulted in hermaphrodites. They used these hermied pl;ants for pollination to make "female only" seeds. The problem was that the offspring was prone to hermaphrodite. They were getting complaints.
So they published how to get more female plants. (Today 99% should be female)
Of the 5 above-mentioned environmental factors the first three are the most practical:
  1. Level of nitrogen and potassium of the seedbed: A heightening of the standard level of nitrogen makes for more female plants originating from the seeds. A lowering of the nitrogen level shows more male plants. A heightening of the level of potassium tends to show more male plants, while a lowering of the potassium level shows more female plants. A combination of a higher nitrogen level for the period of a week or two and a lowering of the potassium level is recommended.
  2. Humidity and moistness of the seedbed: a higher humidity makes for an increase in the number of female plants from seed, a lowering for an increase in male plants. The same is valid for the moistness of the seedbed.
  3. Level of temperatures: lower temperatures make for a larger number of female plants, higher temperatures for more male plants.
  4. Colour of light: more blue light makes for female plants from seed, more red light makes for more male plants.
  5. Hours of daylight: few hours of daylight (e.g. 14 hours) makes for more female individuals, a long day (e.g. 18 hours) makes for more male plants
This probably worked well for these seeds.
Today most feminized seeds are made with silver that blocks ethylene. The offspring is not nearly as prone to hermie.

So the question would be if one were to do all of these enviornmental optimization techniques to regular seeds, would we get 9:1 female to male ratios or anything close? I suspect not. Nature slightly favors females so maybe 10:9 ratio. Anyway interesting reading I wonder if there is anyone with real world experience with large numbers to make it statistically significant. Still keeping an open mind.

This probably worked well for these seeds.
Today most feminized seeds are made with silver that blocks ethylene. The offspring is not nearly as prone to hermie.
With the increasing cost of seeds and feminized seeds costing even more than regulars it might be worth looking into. If regular seeds can be planted and produce 7 to 8 female plants out of 10 it makes the regulars more economical.

It might not be the answer for those who can only plant & grow 1 or 2 plants at a time. They are faced with having the first two seeds they plant being the 2 out of 10 that produce male. If they can improve their odds by lowering the room temperature and by lowering the lights on down to 15 hours instead of 17 or 18 then it might be worth trying.

Has anyone revegged after < a week? I want to pop some regular seeds. Will grow in 1 gallon pots initially. After about a month of vegatative growth, my plan was to flip the lights to 12/12 for a few days until I am confident of sex and then reveg the ladies and then transplant to a larger pot. Does this sound like a good idea? I think my cloning skills are somewhat lackluster and another option is to grab clones and flip those, but I think that would take me at least 3 weeks.
Yepp done that! When you see sex you revert back. Cloning should be the easiest part about growing Cannabis. Cheers!

With the increasing cost of seeds and feminized seeds costing even more than regulars it might be worth looking into. If regular seeds can be planted and produce 7 to 8 female plants out of 10 it makes the regulars more economical.

It might not be the answer for those who can only plant & grow 1 or 2 plants at a time. They are faced with having the first two seeds they plant being the 2 out of 10 that produce male. If they can improve their odds by lowering the room temperature and by lowering the lights on down to 15 hours instead of 17 or 18 then it might be worth trying.
In a few runs I might try this. I now have many regular seeds and plan on making more in my next run.

Back
Top Bottom