Room size for 12 plants?

grit99

Looking to get back in the fun now that I can grow 12 plants legally. Space is not really a concern ( unfinished basement 88”ish to ceiling) as I have an entire unfinished basement, what size room would you build for 12 plants with a RDWC hydro system? I

lights I plan to go with LEDs to keep electric down, have been reading a ton about the DIY led kits, they sure have came along way since my last grow.

Depends on the size of the plants :rolleyes: . I've done SOG grows with plant densities of four and nine per square foot, and SCROGs that had single plants filling eight-square foot screens. Which works out to areas of 3 ft.2, 1.33 ft.2, and 96 ft.2, respectively. I've seen larger plants, too - I'm subscribed to a journal thread that had a single plant growing in a 4'x4' tent, and filling it nicely. That's 16 ft.2 of area, so with your 12 plants it would work out to 192 square feet. Plus however much room you want to leave yourself for access to the plants, equipment, etc.

It's basically impossible to answer that kind of question with any assurance of accuracy without knowing what size plants you're intending to grow. And, with that, it's just a simple n * 12 = answer kind of thing. Again, plus the area for you to do plant maintenance and for any equipment that would interfere with the plants and/or their canopies. Again, those are variables that you'd know better than the rest of us. I'd rather keep the perimeter "free space" to a minimum, for example, in order to bring the (presumably) highly reflective walls closer to the plants and lights - but others might want a clearly defined walkway of 32".

Best way to go, IMHO, is to figure out what size space you can fill with enough intense light to properly grow and flower cannabis - then fill that space with bud, lol. If your preferred growing style means that will amount to 13, 15, or 196 plants, well... don't invite the sheriff over to examine your garden. He'd just expect a better deal after he found out that you were growing your bud instead of buying it from a wholesaler, lol.

Again, we'd need to know what size plants you intend to grow.

EDIT: We've got hundreds of grow journal threads on the forum, both ongoing and completed (also some that were abandoned for one reason or other). Browse around until you find a few you like, and take a look at (or ask) how much space each plant filled. The "lobby" for the grow journal section of the forum is here:

Also: Because you are specifically interested in the RDWC hydroponic method, once you enter one of the journal sections, it might be helpful to use the forum's search function (magnifying glass icon at the top of the page) to type "RDWC" (sans quotation marks) and select to search threads in "this forum." Although taking a more general look can be just as helpful, there are a lot of journal threads - so you might end up deciding to narrow your focus in the interests of saving time.

Hey @TorturedSoul can you direct me to the journal of 1 plant in a 4x4?

He's got other things going on, too. Uses 20-gallon containers for larger (indoor) plants. Fabric type, I think. Nice guy; if you have a question, he'll most likely attempt to answer it.

I have a 6'x12' bloom room, and 11 blooming plants in 5 gallon containers takes up half of the room under a NextLight Mega and its 5x5 footprint. On the next round I plan on getting 18 plants (my legal limit with 3 patients) in that same space, using 3 gallon containers.

DSCF8589.JPG

Back
Top Bottom