Rotating Plants

Scootman

Hey all.....

Has anyone tried moving the plants instead of the lights?

I have built a 4.5 ft diameter 'wheel'. It is powered by two ~20 watt motors and rotates at .5 rpm. The surface of the wheel is reflective (I used that reflective insulation particle board (about 1/2' thick) used in home building.

I have a 30cfm fan blowing across the wheel as it moves to allow good airflow directly across the plants as they rotate.

I maintain room air at 60-73 degrees and ~50RH (I do have a humidifier)

I have 2 150w HPS and 1 400watt MH/HPS. The 400w and 1 150w hang above and the other 150w is mounted on the side. The 400w is ventilated and changes the room air every 5-7 minutes.

I am under the impression that this will allow the full 700 watts to be first strike available to ALL the plants.

The system rotates very smoothly. The wheels are riding on a hardwood surface. Will this movement cause plants to be stunted or will it just get used to the motion. I would almost think the movement would make the plants stronger....but......that's why I am asking.

If this is a viable way of growing:
Do I want it to spin all the time, 24/7 or just during light cycle (18 or 12)?
Will the movement cause the roots to develop more at the cost of vegetation or flowering?
Are there things I missed?
I use Botanicare Pro Grow, Bloom and Karma
Does anyone know of any references to this method, books, threads etc

well scootman, I dont have an answer for you, But I to have often wondered if making a setup like yours would be a benefit. I think once you found the "speeds sweet spot" I cant see why it couldnt help atleast with getting light coverage to all areas. with your equipment, I would put the 400 above the plants, one 150 on the outside, and the other 150 Id hang just the lamp into the center of the plants, if you can space em so it would work.. Anyway, Good question, and I cant wait to hear some other opinions.

well, they seem to look happy, as far as I can tell from that pic. Nice motor setup.. Ive thought about trying something similar, but decided instead to go with a aeroponic setup instead. As soon as I finish building it, Ill post pics..

Datripp.....thank you, I am encouraged....I will try to get better px as time goes on.

These things are fun to grow. 3 weeks into flowering, using botanicare pro bloom and karma. I also use hydrogen peroxide with every watering. The plants are using about 1/2 lb of water every day or two. I found it easier to measure using pounds.....

Your aeroponic system, will it give more yield? I am hoping on 3-5 oz per plant (that might be optimistic). I read on here that a fair yield can be approximately 1 gram for each watt of power, so that would get 25 ounces from the 700 watts, If I do half that good, I will be stoked.

Definitely want to see some pix of your system once it comes together.

More to come

Will this movement cause plants to be stunted or will it just get used to the motion. I would almost think the movement would make the plants stronger....but......that's why I am asking.

If this is a viable way of growing:
Do I want it to spin all the time, 24/7 or just during light cycle (18 or 12)?
Will the movement cause the roots to develop more at the cost of vegetation or flowering?
Are there things I missed?
I use Botanicare Pro Grow, Bloom and Karma
Does anyone know of any references to this method, books, threads etc

Depending on your latitude, they could already be spinning at up to 1,040 mph. I would think any changes from .5 RPM would be negligible.

Just a guess, but I think that IF there's a difference, you'll have stronger vegetation. They grow stronger with a fan moving them around. IF the rotation affects them at all, it should do the same and make them stronger.

I would turn the rotation off with lights out, the reason for rotating them is to give them all equal light... they'll have equal dark sitting still. 20 watts isn't much, but it's 14.4 kW/hr running 24/7 for 30 days. May as well save what energy you can.

I have seen others that have used this method and they have had success.

Have you grown with a side light like that before? The ones I have seen just had light on top.

Back
Top Bottom