Same strain, vastly different bud appearance? Purple Punch

Cwmoore577

For this run I've got two purple punch plants in the same tent. I planted them the same day that the package arrived from barneys farm, no chance of a mix up on my end. They just hit week 5 of 12/12. The buds are completely different looking, one being dark purple and one typical green. I am still a learning grower with just 6 full grows under my belt so I wanted some input. I am aware that there are different phenotypes/genotypes for cannabis strains but from what I've read all have said that environment is the most important factor in a strain developing different characteristics. These two plants have had 100% identical everything. Same tent, same medium, watered from the same reservoir, etc.

I've got a journal with more information here: CMO's Indoor Purple Punch Grow: Automated Coco

image_72192707(7) - Copy.JPG

Plant 1:
image_123927839(38) - Copy.JPG
image_123927839(31) - Copy.JPG
image_123927839(32) - Copy.JPG
image_123927839(33) - Copy.JPG

Plant 2:
image_123927839(34) - Copy.JPG
image_123927839(35) - Copy.JPG
image_123927839(36) - Copy.JPG
image_123927839(37) - Copy.JPG

Hey 577,

Yes sir - different phenotypes at work…. 10 seeds taken from 1 bud or from a package of seeds will not produce 10 identical plants. Further since they were grown in the exact same environment I’d say info about environment being the determining factor on strain characteristics completely misses the mark.

Let’s say your family genetics handed you the traits for male pattern baldness at early age…. would you be more bald? or would you be less bald?…. if you lived in sunny Hawaii or frozen Alaska?

yeah piss poor analogy but you get my drift…

your PP chicks look fantastic tho

Hey 577,

Yes sir - different phenotypes at work…. 10 seeds taken from 1 bud or from a package of seeds will not produce 10 identical plants. Further since they were grown in the exact same environment I’d say info about environment being the determining factor on strain characteristics completely misses the mark.

Let’s say your family genetics handed you the traits for male pattern baldness at early age…. would you be more bald? or would you be less bald?…. if you lived in sunny Hawaii or frozen Alaska?

yeah piss poor analogy but you get my drift…

your PP chicks look fantastic tho
Makes sense. I learn more about this complex plant each time around. Excited to see how these turn out, my first run with purple punch was probably my favorite smoke. That time the plant was very short and bushy and the buds were really dense and slightly purple. Each one different.

Thanks for the knowledge!

Phenotype is not related to abiotic stress or environmental conditions. Genetics are what they are and are predetermined by genetics not environment after growing.

That said... I've grown Purple Punch a lot of times good strain. It's usually purple but not always. I've grown a few green variants. Take what ya get is all really.

Green green green..... and purple all over. Its all good - plants look great!

Phenotype is not related to abiotic stress or environmental conditions. Genetics are what they are and are predetermined by genetics not environment after growing.

That said... I've grown Purple Punch a lot of times good strain. It's usually purple but not always. I've grown a few green variants. Take what ya get is all really.

Green green green..... and purple all over. Its all good - plants look great!
Well technically what I read said that the different phenotypes are genetically predetermined but that environment can allow certain characteristics to present themselves.

Agreed, I love the strain. I made the post because I am a nerd and love to learn as much as I can. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom