Scary Times

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
When the government gets nervous, they go after the creative freethinkers who don't take their marching orders from the state.
Marc Emery - July 15, 2008

“The real reason we cannabis users are hunted down is because pot makes people critical thinkers. We question authority and don’t accept existing dogmas and that’s the biggest threat to any government.” ---Me quoted in The London Free Press May 5, 2008.

I’m today reminded of this quote because on Thursday, July 10, the Vancouver Police took it upon themselves to visit our new location for a store at 1340 Commercial Drive, and then proceeded to call my landlord and tell them that the city would never give me a business license, that I sold drugs, and in fact, Officer Granger said I was advertising on the window the sale of marijuana, and that I was a bad character! Within 24 hours, my new landlord terminated our lease arbitrarily on the basis of this conversation with Vancouver police. I’m out $10,000. I don’t know if I can begin to get any of it back. $3,500 in rent, $3,000 already in renovations, $2,000 in fixtures, $1,000 labour, all the phone and hydro accounts were put in my name and now shall have to be cancelled.

The Vancouver Police have been operating a conspiracy to illegally interfere with my life and activities since I heckled their hero, the U.S. White House Drug Czar, John Walters, in November 2002 at a Vancouver Board of Trade appearance. Walters came to Vancouver specifically to threaten and cajole and intimidate Larry Campbell, the then-new Mayor of Vancouver, to renounce any drug policy liberalization. It was a dinner appearance for Walters to state the prohibitionist line and it cost $750 for a table of ten to hear it.

I heckled the Drug Czar mercilessly all night whenever he spouted one of his many, many lies about marijuana. The Vancouver police had 60 police officers there at six tables. In the three days afterward, Vancouver cops squired Walters around Vancouver and were very close and official. Within a week the VPD drug squad launched an eight-month investigation of my seed business. In August of 2003 charges were recommended by the VPD in their report to the Crown Attorney.

At the time I was traveling across Canada smoking cannabis in front of 18 police stations in ten provinces to demonstrate that there was no pot law. It would seem the Vancouver Crown Attorneys agreed, because they declined to file charges against me and the matter was theoretically dropped.

But it did not end there.

Rogue Vancouver drug cops (particularly one Detective Tharber) handed their files on me to the DEA after failing to convince the Crown Attorney in Vancouver to charge me for conspiracy to sell seeds. The VPD in fact assisted the DEA in gathering evidence from October 2004 to my arrest in July 2005, including helping the DEA to intercept my mail, observe my financial transactions, and the comings and goings in my store, even though Vancouver Police had no intention of charging me again. Clearly, they were intent on having the U.S. Justice Department charge me and to that end, the VPD were totally hand-in-glove with the DEA in gathering evidence to facilitate the Extradition Request of the DOJ. Even British Columbia’s Solicitor-General, Rich Coleman, was kept informed by the DEA as to the progress of gathering evidence against me while he was BC’s top cop in the Gordon Campbell government.

It totally annoys the Vancouver police drug squad cops and many senior officers that I am still at large, heralded in many documentaries and movies, still organizing the largest smoke-out rallies in the world on April 20 and July 1, proprietor of several businesses in downtown Vancouver, still editing and publishing Cannabis Culture magazine, still the most influential activist in the world despite every effort of the U.S. and Canadian police to stifle me. Even though I am not actually charged with anything in Canada, and that my most serious infraction in my entire life under Canadian law is passing one joint in Saskatoon (for which I spent 67 days in Saskatoon Correctional), police and authorities seethe with fear and hatred of me. They call me one of the top 50 most wanted in the world. Saying I am responsible for 1,100,000 pounds of marijuana produced in the United States. That I am harbinger of the flood of marijuana coming from BC into Washington state. That I had “tentacles in all 50 states.”

I am Goldstein from George Orwell’s 1984. The drug war is perpetual war, and I am the mythical rebel recast as all-powerful drug lord that is poisoning the will of the nation, and of course, its children. Meanwhile the state runs amok passing new laws, regulations, requirements that make ordinary life a risky gamble with the prospect of jail, punishment, asset forfeiture, tasering, or any manner of police arrogance or brutality.

This reputation extends from the beat cop who sabotaged my new store at 1340 Commercial Drive--which was to be called Marc Emery’s PotHeadQuarters--to the head of the DEA whose press release the day of my July 29, 2005 arrest drips with contempt towards my... political activities. Here’s Tandy’s statement upon my arrest;

"Today's DEA arrest of Marc Scott Emery, publisher of Cannabis Culture Magazine, and the founder of a marijuana legalization group, is a significant blow not only to the marijuana trafficking trade in the US and Canada, but also the marijuana legalization movement. His marijuana trade and propagandist marijuana magazine have generated nearly $5 million a year in profits that bolstered his trafficking efforts, but those have gone up in smoke today. Emery and his organization had been designated as one of the Attorney General's most wanted international drug trafficking organizational targets - one of only 46 in the world and the only one from Canada. Hundreds of thousands of dollars of Emery's illicit profits are known to have been channelled to marijuana legalization groups active in the United States and Canada. Drug legalization lobbyists now have one less pot of money to rely on."

You’d think there would be some mention of the tragic victims of my activities. Except, of course, there are no victims. We are the victims. But there are five mentions of my political activities in there, and it’s topped off with the remark that I am the most wanted “drug trafficking” target in all of Canada!

It brings me back to my original quote that lead off this piece: “we question authority.” Why do police and government fear me so much? The more a freethinking person is embraced by the people, the more such governments see that person as a threat. My Overgrow The Government idea worked. It is a successful revolution. We won. Fifty three per cent of Canadians want legal marijuana. This number will only increase, as it has continued to do for 18 years, since I began my campaign of cannabis liberation in 1990.

If we lived in a genuine democracy, prohibition would already be dead. Police have always admitted they can’t keep up with millions of plants. Every year more and more plants are seized and eradicated, but more than ever before each year produces an even larger harvest.

Unable to accept this, police and governments at the municipal, provincial and federal level have united in an unconstitutional conspiracy to gut our democracy and turn Canada into an overt police state. Thus we get the “safety inspections” where dog catchers and bureaucrats have more power than judges, and where running a dehumidifier can put you on a police investigation list.

Hundreds of homes in BC now get “inspected” daily for “suspicious” power consumption. Or for their trips to Home Depot. If you’ve got cash on you whenever you’re caught with marijuana, cops just hijack all the money they can find on you, in your car or in your home. Children’s Aid can be called in because neighbours saw you smoking a joint and the government is threatening to take your kids. Where hundreds of people growing tomatoes, vegetables or nothing at all are being regarded as criminals while bureaucrats and police invade their home and detain them not for violating a criminal law, but for violating “safety regulations.” Or when cops call your landlord and through falsehoods, lies and intimidation, get your lease cancelled for no reason whatsoever other than “the police called me about you.”

This fast-moving surveillance and interference in every aspect of our lives is making Canadians scared and nervous... this the people do not embrace. The people do not embrace fear. This is fear. People in Canada are scared of getting on law enforcement’s list if they protest government policy. Or the actions of police. That’s the very definition of a police state.

Stephen Harper is politicizing every aspect of the criminal justice system by installing policemen in parole boards, judicial selection committees, to get the police state perspective as the dominant influence in all aspects of Justice Canada. Two-thirds of all recent appointments are ex-cops. It is no coincidence that not a single Member of Parliament was elected as a Conservative from Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal. Canada is being run by a minority rump of the most backward anti-urban, anti-libertarian rural rednecks in modern Canadian times.

We in Canada are now living in dark and creepy times. Something big is happening right now. Total state surveillance through the electrical grid is being sold as public safety to stop the marijuana scourge. As in the U.S., in a short few years, persecution of the marijuana people has turned into a mammoth real estate seizure industry. On May 12, the National Post reported that a couple could lose their home in a grow-op case because “the law requires anyone convicted of a marijuana offence to show why their property should not be seized.” Most of the people losing their homes are indeed just Mom and Dad, after all. Read the heartbreaking case of Judy Ann Craig of North Vancouver, B.C. here: North Vancouver gardener loses home over grow-op

And now with “drugged driving laws” police are given a weekend course and have the miraculous ability to learn in two days what it takes doctors seven to ten years to learn--to determine why an individual is exhibiting certain symptoms. These Drug Recognition “Experts” can now, for the first time in Canadian history, order blood to be drained from any Canadian motorist, even though this blood sample cannot quantify marijuana impairment in any manner.

In Illinois and Texas, non-medically trained police officers wrestle with motorists to jab a needle into a not-yet suspect’s veins in accordance with new laws in those states that allow it. Is this about what lifestyle a citizen lives or is it about impairment? Impairment should be demonstrable. The proof of competence is performance. But now the state has passed laws that require every one of us to hand over urine, hair follicles, saliva and now blood, negating the very idea of privacy.

The hallmark of civilization is our right to privacy. In the tribe, or the commune, or the dictatorship, or the collective, there is no expectation of privacy, and we consider these ways of life unacceptable for free men and women. But in the new all-surveillance, all-obedience era of “security”, privacy has been completely sacrificed. We are surveilled on our phones, our computers, in airport washrooms, metal detectors, on the subway, by our neighbours, by the utility company, by our kid’s teachers, in schools, by employers, on main streets, by police, bureaucrats. We have no right to privacy any more, anywhere, with our own property or on government property. Central to this idea that individuals have no right to privacy is the idea that we are not really human.

Thirteen-year old girls are being strip-searched for ibuprofen now. Millions of pot users know first hand the humiliation of being strip searched and inspected to see if you’re hiding marijuana or drugs up one’s ass or vagina, and no one gives a rat’s ass. But when it gets to a 13-year old girl with ibuprofen, the courts finally take notice.

If it weren’t for the potheads, this country would already be a complete police state. Potheads are in the main the critical thinkers that keep this nation free, creative, prosperous and tolerant. Governments favour zero tolerance except for their own extensive perfidies. Government and freedom are antonyms. When we are free, we are free from government. That’s what a “free” country or “free” man means, it is the pernicious arbitrary bludgeon of government that the nation or the individual is free of.

Cannabis is more popular in Canada than any other developed nation. Over 16 per cent of Canadians use cannabis at least once a year, and the capital of cannabis in Canada is Vancouver. Meanwhile, Vancouver--Vansterdam--is constantly rated the world’s most liveable city. Tolerant, free, creative, it’s no coincidence Vancouver has the greatest concentration of marijuana users in Canada!

Our tolerance is our greatness, our creativity is our inspiration, and it’s the potheads that ultimately make Vancouver the best place on Earth (that’s what our license plates here even say). But all we get is another “pogrom”, as Tevye would have called it in Fiddler on The Roof, a campaign by government to seize our property, seize our kids, seize our freedom, impair our ability to work and do business, stop us from living our peaceful and honest lifestyles. A pogrom is vilification, forfeiture, ostracization, segregation and ultimately extermination.

Almost all the great creative achievements of our age in music, film, video, and computers were achieved with the inspiration of cannabis. I can assure you that if you, dear reader, had to choose which music collection you could take with you to that proverbial deserted island, the music inspired or informed by cannabis or straight music, you would pick the former. On the side of cannabis music we have The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Willie Nelson, Toby Keith, all the masters of jazz and blues, Bob Marley, all reggae music, all hip hop music of any substance, most rock and roll: the super talents that inspired their generation and beyond. The catalogue of non-cannabis inspired music is barren and pathetic by comparison. Potheads or, say, enlightened human beings, then, are “free”, “creative” and “tolerant” while government by its very nature is controlling, bureaucratic and intolerant. Marijuana people are the only sentient people around these days, that is why they must be exterminated in this new millennium of maximum security (for government, not you or I).

If you want to change a country you have to change its laws, and through regulation, edicts, and more laws, the institutions and all else falls in line. It can happen overnight to a sleeping people. Germany 1932. The United States and Canada in 2009 perhaps? Probably in Berlin in 1932, it did not even seem a crisis at the time, how could the civilized nation of Beethoven and Goethe within a few short years become one of the greatest police state genocides in the history of the known universe?

Vincent Bugliosi, the famed prosecutor of Charles Manson and 20 other capital prosecutions, eight resulting in the death penalty, says we are close to a police state in his new book The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder. In the book, Bugliosi lays out the step-by-step evidence required for any of the 93 U.S. District Attorneys to successfully prosecute George Bush for the murder of over 4,000 U.S. servicemen. Bugliosi isn’t holding his breath though, “we are that close, just one Justice, from waking up one morning to a new America. If a search and seizure case came before the court in which the police, though having time to get a search warrant, broke into an American home without one, and the court held that this was not an ‘unreasonable search and seizure’ under the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, America would change overnight.”

That is well underway here in Canada. Search warrants in marijuana cases are no longer needed and no longer exist. A hydro bill is all it takes. Municipal “safety” inspectors now invade citizens’ homes without warrants or welcome. The RCMP can smash into homes that grow only tomatoes, abusing and handcuffing citizens at gunpoint with impunity. A citizen’s electric power is turned off at the whim of some clerk, something criminal court judges rarely order. Parliament and the judicial branch of government, previously the only place our rights and protections under the Charter could be rewritten by, are now being superseded by a myriad of invasive by-laws, regulations, and paperwork, that allows every government agency and institution clerk, cop, bureaucrat, to be Grand Inquisitor. And already Canada’s national occupation force, the RCMP, is a terrifying police force. Read my brief history of the RCMP and ‘Tips On How to Survive an Encounter With the RCMP’ here.

In jail and on prescription mind-controlling drugs (of Government Issue) is where we shall all be headed. Detention camps, jails, emergency control centers, whatever name they come up with. And that may be only when we find salvation, when so many of us are suppressed. I was in Saskatoon Correctional in September 2003 when describing how a peaceful revolution occurs, and will occur:

"It is the height of moral conscience to refuse to obey an unjust law. To obey an unjust law is to give credence to its oppressive power. To obey a law that punishes where no crime exists is to surrender to tyranny and, by acquiescence, endorsing the oppression.

The only righteous place for this kind of man is the jail cell. He must break the bad law openly and without apology, and without any victim but the pride of the state, it will be soon apparent to all that an injustice has taken place. Gradually, eventually, a crisis in the public confidence occurs, and in this vacuum, in this opportunity, change will come."

It has to get really bad before it can improve is how the Revolutionary views his struggle. So we should see interesting times ahead, for me and for Canada. I am the target of an Extradition Request from a government led by a mass murderer. Let’s see whom Canada chooses. The Laughing Executioner George W. Bush or myself. I can’t wait to find out.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Western Standard
Copyright: 2008 Western Standard

from western standard The ShotGun blogs said:
Emery's extradition hearing, meanwhile, is scheduled for February 9 to the 17th in B.C.'s Supreme Court. It will be interesting to see what the government of Canada decides to do in his case, and we'll be covering it from beginning to end.

Good Luck Marc !!!
Our prayers are with Ya'.

why do you think i changed our titles to "free thinkers" last year?

i couldn't agree more...;)

“The real reason we cannabis users are hunted down is because pot makes people critical thinkers. We question authority and don’t accept existing dogmas and that’s the biggest threat to any government.”

Mark Emery should be a candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize for the amount of cannabis people grew and shared from his seeds.

...or Nobel Peace Pipe, whatever's clever

I feel ya, at age 60 I hope I live to see this stupid war over and people in control of there own lives the way it was intended.

Back
Top Bottom