Scotland: Scientists- Medical Cannabis Could Help Protect Pensioners Against Dementia

Ron Strider

Scientists have discovered that cannabis could help protect pensioners against dementia thanks to its psychoactive chemicals. The drug can boost memory in over-60s as a substance in it called tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) improves brain function.

Scientists at Bonn University in Germany uncovered the chemical can help the mind during lab tests on mice.

It's not the first time the drug has been linked to health benefits.

We told last week how mum Marianne Dickson, from Edinburgh, uses cannabidiol (CBD) – an extract from cannabis – to treat her chronic spinal condition as well as her dog Honey's anxiety.

She said: "People need to understand there are different components in cannabis and each on their own can have different effects.

"This study is showing THC can help improve brain function while cannabidiol, which I use, helps with pain."

While cannabis itself is still illegal, products containing CBD – which has no psychoactive components – can be classified as medicines by the Government.

And CBD is not covered by the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 or the Misuse of Drugs Regulations 2001 – meaning that, on its own, it is not illegal.

Marianne, 43, who suffers from Ankylosing Spondylitis, said: "Two different GPs have told me that the medication I am on just now, which is very strong, will ruin my insides in 20 years.

"I can't believe that CBD has never been illegal but no one is being prescribed it or told about it. Yet what doctors are prescribing me could kill me in 20 years."

But Peter Reynolds, of Clear, which campaigns to legalise the drug, thinks people will have a while to wait before the UK follows in the footsteps of the 29 states in America which have legalised medical marijuana.

He said: "There is a big leap between a study in a lab and a medicine which can be given to people.

"We very much support this new research but many discoveries never make it through to treatment on humans. There is a long way to go yet."

Peter explained how the campaign group has learned that pensioners across the UK use cannabis. He said: "We know tens of thousands of people over 60 are using cannabis because it helps with the aches and pains of getting older.

scientist-writing-on-clipboard-marijuana-cannabis-getty_large.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Scientists discover medical cannabis could help protect pensioners against dementia — The Scottish Sun
Author: Anna Gault
Photo Credit:
Website: The Scottish Sun — Latest news, sports, showbiz, and celebrities

Back
Top Bottom