SCROG Question

Let's say I wanted to grow two sativas next to two indicas in the same tent and I wanted to SCROG the entire four plants and get one nice SCROG with a nice even canopy with 50/50 bud sites for each variety, ie, there are as many sativa bud sites as indica bud sites. I know this is possible. But what is the best way to do this? I have limited experience but I can see a few possibilities:

1. The sativas may be tall and stretchy and the indicas short and bushy. How about LOWERING the height of the screen and flipping them to flower when the shorter indica is ready to go? Potential problem I can see there is controlling the sativa growth while wating for the indica to catch up, even to a lower screen.

2. Could one maybe start the indicas a few weeks ahead of the sativas so that they already had like a ten inch or foot head start? The goal being that then after a month of sativa growth maybe all four plants would be approximately the same height?

3. Is there perhaps a short sativa that would pair well in a tent with a tall indica that have similar flowering times?

4. It's better to simply not do this and try to keep similar sized plants in a tent when SCROG is the goal??

Any commentary/feedback is sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

I think I would do it backwards to what you said and start the sativas or flip the lights on the sativas first just because I think they take longer to flower then the indica ,,,,, but i would just go for it and tuck the sativa down under the net if it got taller weed can put up with alot of crap but I never scrogged a indica and sativa I hope some one can shine light on your question

I think I would do it backwards to what you said and start the sativas or flip the lights on the sativas first just because I think they take longer to flower then the indica ,,,,, but i would just go for it and tuck the sativa down under the net if it got taller weed can put up with alot of crap but I never scrogged a indica and sativa I hope some one can shine light on your question
Thanks HF. Yeah it might be a dumb idea but I kinda wanna take on the challenge if it's possible. But I also don't wanna screw up a whole grow.

Thanks HF. Yeah it might be a dumb idea but I kinda wanna take on the challenge if it's possible. But I also don't wanna screw up a whole grow.
The main issue would seem to be exactly what you said - the difference in a. height and b. flowering time.

No it's definitely not a dumb idea weed is strong brother, the point of the scrog net is so you can keep a even canopy when a plant stretches ,,, I say go for it and pick the strains you like!!!!

Another possibility is I could just keep topping and pruning the sativa to keep it low until the indica got a bit taller, I suppose?

There's gotta be someone on here who has grown sativa and indica in the same tent and same SCROG. Lol!

Another possibility is I could just keep topping and pruning the sativa to keep it low until the indica got a bit taller, I suppose?

There's gotta be someone on here who has grown sativa and indica in the same tent and same SCROG. Lol!
I've scrogged different strains and they were hybrids if one got tall in a spot I tucked it under the net ,,,,, I think you will be fine

I’m with HF, I’d give the sativas the head start so you can chop at the same time. Also you could LST the sativa so they hit the net together. But flower time would still be the difference. All in all the net will do its job as long as you stay on top of it.

No it's definitely not a dumb idea weed is strong brother, the point of the scrog net is so you can keep a even canopy when a plant stretches ,,, I say go for it and pick the strains you like!!!!
Hey man are you using those Bomb Seeds? Or was that ad just in your post by chance? If you are using them, what's your experience been like with those seeds? How honest are their THC numbers? Etc. LOL.

I’m with HF, I’d give the sativas the head start so you can chop at the same time. Also you could LST the sativa so they hit the net together. But flower time would still be the difference. All in all the net will do its job as long as you stay on top of it.
Thanks. I hadn't considered HST like pinching branches and laying them 90 degrees down to maintain the canopy. It sounds like the answer to my question is really more about how good are my training and SCROG skills. With the appropriate training you should pretty much be able to grow whatever you want together. That pretty much it?

Hey man are you using those Bomb Seeds? Or was that ad just in your post by chance? If you are using them, what's your experience been like with those seeds? How honest are their THC numbers? Etc. LOL.
It was an add! But not mine! But I have grown seeds from bomb genetics before and it was good here is a thc bomb nug
IMG_20201229_145154_267.jpg

Thanks. I hadn't considered HST like pinching branches and laying them 90 degrees down to maintain the canopy. It sounds like the answer to my question is really more about how good are my training and SCROG skills. With the appropriate training you should pretty much be able to grow whatever you want together. That pretty much it?
Mail on the head my friend.

Do a search for Icemud, this guy done a load of scrog grows in the early years 2010 + ? we are going back several years tho before the bro went into led growing with lots of different panels.

I don't think he is around anymore & ended up in some pro grow medical lab some where in cali.

Do a search for Icemud, this guy done a load of scrog grows in the early years 2010 + ? we are going back several years tho before the bro went into led growing with lots of different panels.

I don't think he is around anymore & ended up in some pro grow medical lab some where in cali.
Thanks FD - I found the dude. He's actually still on here in 420 answering questions. I found a few things on youtube too. Appreciate it. Good looking out.

yes, it can be done. Yes, it'll definitely keep you on your toes!
Like others said, you will have to be very disciplined on training the sativas before they go under the net.
LST, bending, popping, tying, etc. then repeat almost daily while the indicas catch up.
Yes, multiple toppings will slow down the sativa, but you don't want to do that once she's in bloom.
In addition you could put the indicas on a bucket or something to prop up their canopy even with the sativas.
You don't always need a net to build a scrog either. I'm doing a massive one using twine and binder clips so that I can remove the plant if needed for pest treatment or if the landlord is coming, etc.

Would you be open to a second tent OR running some hybrid strains?
A separate tent could let you have them do their things and roll with it.

One of the main benefits of growing hybrids is to get the sativa leaning effects with more indica leaning growth.
If you're open to it I would suggest researching hybrid strains that would deliver the effect you want with the growth you prefer.
I.e. My favorite smoke is Thai, but it's very challenging to grow in my tiny space. It wants to be 8' tall and flower for 16 weeks...BUT I can compromise with a strain like chocolope which has dominant Thai parents or purple haze which has a similar buzz and get a manageable plant with a decent harvest of something to smoke while doing housework, etc.

yes, it can be done. Yes, it'll definitely keep you on your toes!
Like others said, you will have to be very disciplined on training the sativas before they go under the net.
LST, bending, popping, tying, etc. then repeat almost daily while the indicas catch up.
Yes, multiple toppings will slow down the sativa, but you don't want to do that once she's in bloom.
In addition you could put the indicas on a bucket or something to prop up their canopy even with the sativas.
You don't always need a net to build a scrog either. I'm doing a massive one using twine and binder clips so that I can remove the plant if needed for pest treatment or if the landlord is coming, etc.

Would you be open to a second tent OR running some hybrid strains?
A separate tent could let you have them do their things and roll with it.

One of the main benefits of growing hybrids is to get the sativa leaning effects with more indica leaning growth.
If you're open to it I would suggest researching hybrid strains that would deliver the effect you want with the growth you prefer.
I.e. My favorite smoke is Thai, but it's very challenging to grow in my tiny space. It wants to be 8' tall and flower for 16 weeks...BUT I can compromise with a strain like chocolope which has dominant Thai parents or purple haze which has a similar buzz and get a manageable plant with a decent harvest of something to smoke while doing housework, etc.
Thanks for the detailed response! I actually am running two tents. I have two 5x5s, and one is perfect for sativas - I just got tent 2, a Gorilla with the height extender, and a new light for it (G8 C3 Enhanced LED w/flower booster) which puts out zero heat and lives very close to the top of the canopy. This is the tent I would use for the scrog I asked about and would use if I was using it as a dedicated sativa tent (which I still might). Thing is, I only (and can only for this grow) have my original crappy blurples for tent 1. And although they "work," they're a far far far cry from the new light, which compares to the Gavita 1700e. Point being I consider that tent the "blow off" tent until I upgrade the lights. I'm not wasting a photoperiod grow on blurples EVER again. So - I have one professional level tent and one tent that is identical except for the cruddy lights. That is going to be my autoflower tent this grow. I never tried them and if they don't work out I'll know without too much wasted time. I'm pretty committed to that experiment. So that left me with the one tent, the new, awesome set up that's 7'11" tall. I really should abandon the idea for this grow and just do different sativas which I can easily match up for a SCROG. BUT ALL THAT SAID - Thanks! It's funny how sometimes we don't consider the simplest things - maybe cuz they are TOO simple. Simply raise the indica plant itself. Duh. Of course. I'm sitting here laughing at myself for not thinking of such a simple, elegant solution. Thanks!

Thanks for the detailed response! I actually am running two tents. I have two 5x5s, and one is perfect for sativas - I just got tent 2, a Gorilla with the height extender, and a new light for it (G8 C3 Enhanced LED w/flower booster) which puts out zero heat and lives very close to the top of the canopy. This is the tent I would use for the scrog I asked about and would use if I was using it as a dedicated sativa tent (which I still might). Thing is, I only (and can only for this grow) have my original crappy blurples for tent 1. And although they "work," they're a far far far cry from the new light, which compares to the Gavita 1700e. Point being I consider that tent the "blow off" tent until I upgrade the lights. I'm not wasting a photoperiod grow on blurples EVER again. So - I have one professional level tent and one tent that is identical except for the cruddy lights. That is going to be my autoflower tent this grow. I never tried them and if they don't work out I'll know without too much wasted time. I'm pretty committed to that experiment. So that left me with the one tent, the new, awesome set up that's 7'11" tall. I really should abandon the idea for this grow and just do different sativas which I can easily match up for a SCROG. BUT ALL THAT SAID - Thanks! It's funny how sometimes we don't consider the simplest things - maybe cuz they are TOO simple. Simply raise the indica plant itself. Duh. Of course. I'm sitting here laughing at myself for not thinking of such a simple, elegant solution. Thanks!
sounds like we have a winner! Flip the sativas first. Wait a few weeks, and leave a spot for the indicas. Then pop them in there on an upside down bucket or shelf etc. and harvest at the same time!
As for the blurples, they'll still do okay for veg lights. Why not use that tent for vegging and clones and then use the good light for blooming? I do all my vegging under cheap LED's from the big orange hardware store!
(I had to toss my blurples before they burned the house down!! SCARY SH*T!!)

I wonder if you have any suggestions for nice sativas or sativa leaning hybrids that grow well side by side? I'm committed to one of those being Humboldt's Pineapple Upside Down Cake, which apparently has a short (9/10 week, short for a sativa, they actually claim 45-53 days and insist it's accurate but I ain't buying it) flowering time. It's technically a hybrid, ie Pineapple Trainwreck x Cookie Monster F4. So I'd be seeking a shorter-time flowering, high yielding, at least mid-20's THC content potential if not higher, fruity/sweet, high odor (specifically looking for DANK buds, not stealth strains) sativa (or hybrid) that likes what I'd call average (non-equatorial) climate. I am considering Super Silver Haze and Jack Herer, but both of them, while classics, are strains I've smoked to death and don't really match up well in terms of flowering duration. I MUST harvest at the same time all plants, because I MUST dry inside my tent due to living considerations, so thus the need for strains I can be reasonably sure will be close enough to ready at the same time. Looking for something new.

sounds like we have a winner! Flip the sativas first. Wait a few weeks, and leave a spot for the indicas. Then pop them in there on an upside down bucket or shelf etc. and harvest at the same time!
As for the blurples, they'll still do okay for veg lights. Why not use that tent for vegging and clones and then use the good light for blooming? I do all my vegging under cheap LED's from the big orange hardware store!
(I had to toss my blurples before they burned the house down!! SCARY SH*T!!)
I did consider that and probably will eventually do that. I'd love to have a dedicated mother plant tent for clones. But for now I'm new enough to growing that I have a long list of experiments and side by side comparisons and such to do before I get to that. Lmao. Plus to be honest I still wanna smoke my own for as long as possible without ever having to go to a dispensary (if possible), so the two tent yield is sort of super attractive to me. Ha.

Back
Top Bottom